Picture Day

Help Support CattleToday:

Franke

Reaction score
Pictured some breds and opens for a sale yesterday and thought I'd share.

Wide Track X Dream On Bred to Ironhide

Cash Flow X Dew it Right

Denver X Explorer bred to Ironhide

Lock N Load son X Desperado son bred to High Stakes

Commander X Long Cut

All look very good. I like the two calves the best, but that is probably because the yearlings "appear" to be too fat for me. Carrying a lot of brisket, especially the Wide Track. I realize fat sells in a sale.

They are fatter than our replacements that we are keeping for ourselves, but they aren't getting much corn. About 3 pounds a day of a corn oat blend with free choice alfalfa/grass hay and a couple acres of grass. But yes I'm not very pleased with how much the wide track has.

You'll be glad you bred her to high stakes when she calves unassisted with a very vigorous calf. We've calved around 30 red angus heifers to him and haven't touched one. As a bonus the females seem to be pretty nice considering the level of CE he has. I did bred him to heifers with considerable rib shape and base width and am quite pleased.

Baldie Maker":1n9rub27 said:
You'll be glad you bred her to high stakes when she calves unassisted with a very vigorous calf. We've calved around 30 red angus heifers to him and haven't touched one. As a bonus the females seem to be pretty nice considering the level of CE he has. I did bred him to heifers with considerable rib shape and base width and am quite pleased.

"As a bonus the females seem to be pretty nice considering the level of CE he has."

I am not sure I understand this part...So because his CE is in the top 1% the heifers are not supposed to be good/keepers? His MCE (top 1%) and API (top 10%) would indicate you keep every heifer but his STAY is bottom 30% which would indicate his females won't be around in 5 years. I know EPD's are not everything....just trying to learn more.

insurman":3bb2utdw said:
Baldie Maker":3bb2utdw said:

"As a bonus the females seem to be pretty nice considering the level of CE he has."

I am not sure I understand this part...So because his CE is in the top 1% the heifers are not supposed to be good/keepers? His MCE (top 1%) and API (top 10%) would indicate you keep every heifer but his STAY is bottom 30% which would indicate his females won't be around in 5 years. I know EPD's are not everything....just trying to learn more.

I will just put this in play:

Some seedstock producers avoid the practice of "over-using" high CE bulls because it trends toward too small frame and growth metrics.

I think what is really throwing his stay epd off is the crazy high milk number.

insurman":1b1khmv3 said:
Baldie Maker":1b1khmv3 said:

Some high CE bulls are that because they sire extremely narrow based, flat sided small live calves; it's hard to find a bull that is highly proven to be a heifer bull that can sire base width, rib shape, and big tops. This is why I used him on the later type females in hopes of maintaining their doing ability and overall conformation in a hybrid package. I was drawn to his api, CE, CEM, red color, and at one time high stay package. I have more on the ground now and will keep the best of those as well.
Sorry for the confusion.

Getting ready for a sale this weekend and thought I'd show the progress of some of these calves.

(This was taken Sunday)

Franke":3sqgni26 said:
Getting ready for a sale this weekend and thought I'd show the progress of some of these calves.

(This was taken Sunday)

Where is this sale at?

The sale is in Mitchell, SD. Thanks yeah lots of corn stalks. We were lucky enough to get enough bales made and keep the cows out of the yard long enough before it froze. Sounds like warmer weather (30°+) the end of the week. Melt snow and make some mud.

Latest posts