Pics of bull catch in chute (I hope)!

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
D9D8703D-3667-44C6-8213-297E75362C1B.jpeg
This is in my chute set up. Boards are in place to show what will be put in when I get him in place. Butt stop and kick plate in rear and chest board and feed bucket in front. Side gate will open where he is caught and he exits there. I pray this works. If my length is correct o believe it will work. From chest board to butt board is 72" max to 68" minimum adjustable. Side gate is 72" long and same height as chute. When all is finished and butt and kick stop is remove, side gate is opened and out of chute he steps. Sounds good don't it. Just hope he thinks so. ✝️🛐🙏

View attachment 36690
This is in my chute set up. Boards are in place to show what will be put in when I get him in place. Butt stop and kick plate in rear and chest board and feed bucket in front. Side gate will open where he is caught and he exits there. I pray this works. If my length is correct o believe it will work. From chest board to butt board is 72" max to 68" minimum adjustable. Side gate is 72" long and same height as chute. When all is finished and butt and kick stop is remove, side gate is opened and out of chute he steps. Sounds good don't it. Just hope he thinks so. ✝️🛐🙏

Always Stand facing the direction of the bull while inserting the butt board. That way if he backs up suddenly before you have the board all the way across it just jerks it out of your hand. Stand the other way if he backs out the board will hit you very hard in the legs. I know of a couple broken legs that happened that way.

View attachment 36690
Yeh, is he a quiet bull? What part of him do you need to get to? Don't get hurt.

Ken
2 shots in neck area and a nasal 2ml dose in nostril and a wormer dose maybe down back from withers to tail. He really doesn't appear wormets so I may pass on that. Just hope the neck shots SQ goes well, and the nose squirt.

Always Stand facing the direction of the bull while inserting the butt board. That way if he backs up suddenly before you have the board all the way across it just jerks it out of your hand. Stand the other way if he backs out the board will hit you very hard in the legs. I know of a couple broken legs that happened that way.
Yes, I wish I had a better way but this is what I got. If he will go to feed bucket and eat, maybe I can get all in place. If I can get the butt board in, then insert the kick board. When thru my side gate pens on the right side to the pasture. Ll let you all know how it works out.

I don't really like the idea of being in the chute with him while putting the butt board in place. If I can do it from outside the chute I'll feel more comfortable.

Where do you find this at? Valley Vet?
Probably so , but mine came from an old cattlemen ..I've had for years..any cattleman around you to borrow one from?Rural King.or tractor supply might be a quicker find

Those 2 by boards might be a little hard to maneuver into place. A 1 to 1.5" steel pipe will be easier to hold and slide in quickly. Best to not walk down the alley behind the bull or cattle of much size. If they start coming back, you are going to need to backtrack quickly and not trip and fall. Always best to work from outside the alley if possible. Putting the board or pipe behind the bull needs to be done from the outside only. And quickly. Unless he is a very gentle guy, he is going to start moving back as soon as he hits the barrier in front. Probably better to leave the front board out at first. Let him go further forward. Put the board in back. Outside the alley, move forward to his front. He should naturally start moving back. Then slide the front board in front of him from the outside. Have the meds all drawn up and ready in the cooler.

That lower "kick stop" board - I would not use that. The "butt stop" pipe or board up higher would be enough for me. He might get a foot over and behind that kick stop board and get a little tangled up there.

Rough cut oak boards would be preferred over pine for strength. Can use a smaller size in oak. A true 2x4 oak should hold a bull. Metal pipe or rod works best for me.

If you are not reasonably comfortable with the setup, look at hauling him to a vet's facility or somewhere with a safer setup. A squeeze chute will better restrain and will have adjustable stop positions for sliding in a pipe. Not worth getting hurt for a couple vaccines and dewormer. Make sure the alley is wide enough for the bull.

I don't really like the idea of being in the chute with him while putting the butt board in place. If I can do it from outside the chute I'll feel more comfortable.
Jeezuz Buddy... no one in their right mind gets in back of a bull in a chute unless he's already caught in a headgate or something.

And that board you are using to prevent kicking? Why? Looks like a good way to injure the bull.

Work him from outside the chute, usually on top leaning over. And working him outside the chute includes putting the board behind him. Slide it in from the side. And as @Dave said, put the board in while you are standing behind it, facing the same direction as the bull.

And if this is a new bull... worm him. You don't want him bringing in a worm load to infest your pastures. I hope you are going to isolate him for a week or two before turning him out.

Nothing to make a bovine to hate the chute on the rest of the trips in it than a pair of nose holds. I thought that all of them were in a museum somewhere along with other torture devices. No thanks.

And make-do chutes are a bad choice. Just load them up, sell out and find some fun way to hurt yourself. Life is too short.

Latest posts