Pickled beets ?

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Wife and I are canning pickled beets today . 4 dishpans starting out . At least 2 more in the garden . Plus our hotdog relish that my mom called pool room slaw . Cabbage , carrots, bell peppers, onions , with vinegar and yellow mustard. I can eat it without the hotdogs !

I have a recipe for pickled beets that calls for brown sugar. We love them. Now if I just
had some beets...😊

Here's the pool room slaw / hotdog relish . I grew the cabbage , too early for bell peppers 🫑 out of my garden . I have onions but we had some nice big ones we bought from the local civitans. Probably only batch we can ; since we already had jars from last year . 3 more big cabbages in the fridge.
FAE3D4FA-D3D9-44FD-AD3F-D2A1BFF69EA7.jpeg

That brings back some memories. My grandma used to give me a big jar of pickled beets and eggs and man I would hammer them when I was kid.

My ancestors were Volga Deutsch and survived on cabbage and beets. I love cabbage and kraut, but cannot eat a red beet no matter how they are prepared. Wish I liked them.

Mom always canned beets, and cooked up the beet tops. I prefer the beet tops over the beets.
That's interesting. I'll have to check that out.
When I was in grade school (Linch WY) we had a cafeteria. I could not, would not, eat
beets. I hid them every way possible and got in trouble many times. Now I like beets--
pickled, roasted, Russian Beets. The ones in grade school were in little cubes.
I got the Bountiful Baskets when we were in SE Montana and they had golden beets.
I liked them too. In fact, we learned to like many things we hadn't tried before because
they were part of the baskets. We can't get them here or I would still buy them.

I'm cooking up all the mustard greens I've been growing since they are starting to bolt- Southern mustard greens cooked up with bacon and onions and pot liquor- 8 frozen packs in the freezer. Now I;m planting okra where they grew.

That's interesting. I'll have to check that out.
When I was in grade school (Linch WY) we had a cafeteria. I could not, would not, eat
beets. I hid them every way possible and got in trouble many times. Now I like beets--
pickled, roasted, Russian Beets. The ones in grade school were in little cubes.
I got the Bountiful Baskets when we were in SE Montana and they had golden beets.
I liked them too. In fact, we learned to like many things we hadn't tried before because
they were part of the baskets. We can't get them here or I would still buy them.
I'll have to try them again. Beets may be the one thing I never cared for, and not sure why. Maybe a texture thing.

Now, I could put a hurtin' on that slaw.

I'll have to try them again. Beets may be the one thing I never cared for, and not sure why. Maybe a texture thing.

Now, I could put a hurtin' on that slaw.
I like the pickled ones with a tossed salad better than fixed any other way . I can eat the other styles but not as much .

Latest posts