Pasture Rent in the Midwest

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
If you live in the Midwest, how much do you rent pasture for or how much do you pay? Someone in Wisconsin told me $8/head per month. I'm placing an ad in our local paper as we are looking for pasture to rent so that we can expand, however I don't want to be bamboozled by not having a relative idea of what is fair. Thanks so much

Up here in NE Wisconsin there really isn't any pasture for rent. Farm land is renting from $35 to $200 per acre. Have to put up your own fences if a landlord will allow.

Check with your local extension office. In this area the prices vary so much within just a 20 miles radius taht a standard for here would be different in the next county, or even the other side of town

Yes, Forage, farmland is renting here for $225/acre... but I had no idea on pature. Dun, thanks for the advice, I'm going to call the Extension office now.

Well, called the Extension. They directed me to the farmdoc website (accessible through Univeristy of Illinois/Jersey-Calhoun Extension) that had OUTDATED info on pasture rent prices in ILLINOIS from 1996-2001. There was some good bulletins there that I printed but I'll just have to go have breakfast and coffee at the local "dive" and get my info (haha). That's the best way to find out ANYTHING...

So do I bigbull...hindsight is 20/20. If I'd known we were going to enjoy our cattle THIS much I never would have bought this property. We've seriously considered moving farther away from civilization (where there's cheaper land) but its hard to leave your hometown. I stopped one time to help a guy up on the highway get some feeders back in his fence and I told him, "I have cattle so i can help you work them back in"... and he said, "you know, guys like us (I'm a woman, haha) don't want to raise cattle anymore... people just want to sit in the cab of a tractor and push buttons". It was kind of sad...but true because everything that CAN be put in crops, IS!!! Even my hay supplier told me last year that he's losing hay ground to people putting in crops. I understand you got to do what brings you the most return but its sad for someone who wants to expand a cattle business. I do have the prospect of 40 real good acres behind me that I'm going to work on getting. Here in the midwest, that'll let me atleast retain this year's heifers and maybe buy me a little time. Thanks

Latest posts