Pasture question

Help Support CattleToday:

JSteim

Reaction score
We are in the process of putting up some fence around a field that was row cropped. The ground is too wet to disc right now. Whats left is corn stalks and weeds. Part of it is 9 acres of overgrown native plants that the ground is too uneven to row crop.
We are throwing plenty of round bales supplementing with 200 pounds of cubes a week and have mix 30 and minerals out.

When the fence is done can our cows graze on the field as is until we get it disced and planted? I ask as I saw a response on the board in another thread that talked about nitrate poisoning when grazing row crop residue.

The field was last harvested in August of 2017.

I wouldn't think there would be a problem as we had good moisture up till corn quit. TAMU will do a nitrates test but it takes a couple weeks.
I'll often kick a old low value cow or two in for a few days before letting the herd in.

I agree with fence. We graze ours out in the winter and don't have any issues. Not sure what type of weeds you have in there, but once I identified them as harmless I'd put the cattle on. Good luck JS

callmefence":26p99idl said:
I wouldn't think there would be a problem as we had good moisture up till corn quit. TAMU will do a nitrates test but it takes a couple weeks.
I'll often kick a old low value cow or two in for a few days before letting the herd in.

Fence do you have any recommendations for someone to disk and plant the fields for us? We don't have a big enough tractor currently to do it ourselves. The old man did really good getting us the leases on the two places behind us.

Dsteim":1prxlb69 said:
callmefence":1prxlb69 said:

Fence do you have any recommendations for someone to disk and plant the fields for us? We don't have a big enough tractor currently to do it ourselves. The old man did really good getting us the leases on the two places behind us.

Your place is a bit far from me, but there sure ought to be someone in tractor distance of you.
When I get in I'll pm you contact info on a fellow in schewertner. He might. If not he will know someone.

callmefence":1qqtkeug said:
Dsteim":1qqtkeug said:
callmefence":1qqtkeug said:

Your place is a bit far from me, but there sure ought to be someone in tractor distance of you.
When I get in I'll pm you contact info on a fellow in schewertner. He might. If not he will know someone.

We haven't started shopping it yet figured I'd ask. Our neighbor has planted one of our fields in oats the last few years but he farms 2000 acres so sometimes he doesn't have the time.

Latest posts