Pasture Pet Peeves

Help Support CattleToday:

Broken down fence corners and H braces. If the ends and middles are strong, all the rotten posts and ancient wire in between can at least be held up by the ends and middles. My area is full of these kind of fences and I have a few I haven't been able to replace yet, but they are on the list.

Strange dogs and neighbors who just bought a new AK 47 and try it out by relieving themselves of a case of ammunition in the field beside the cows.

I go check to up on the new calf last night, I hear gunfire and I see all the cows crowded in a corner of the pasture, like 2ac out of a 15ac field. By the time my cripple self hobbled to the other side it was over and couldn't find where it was from.

Hate finding garbage everywhere.

Hate untrained dogs running loose

Hate when other people "thought is was ok " like, to take your trailer or your extention cord or fish your lake, hunt your property etc. What ever happened to walking down the drive and asking? I would give the shirt off my back for someone in need. But when you demand it or take it without asking, you just made me change the way I think of you.

or they think they deserve what you have but don't want to put in the time...

I go check to up on the new calf last night, I hear gunfire and I see all the cows crowded in a corner of the pasture, like 2ac out of a 15ac field. By the time my cripple self hobbled to the other side it was over and couldn't find where it was from.

Hate finding garbage everywhere.

Hate untrained dogs running loose

Hate when other people "thought is was ok " like, to take your trailer or your extention cord or fish your lake, hunt your property etc. What ever happened to walking down the drive and asking? I would give the shirt off my back for someone in need. But when you demand it or take it without asking, you just made me change the way I think of you.

or they think they deserve what you have but don't want to put in the time...
People that ignore NO TRESSPASSING signs... and then say, "Oh, I didn't think it meant ME." with a surprised look on their face.

I thought this thread was about pasture pets.

In that case I'm not sure what my pasture pet peeves are..... I would guess being out of water, or maybe mad there is no breeze... or when it rains all night then the flies come out until it's mosquito:30.

I would have to guess, but those would be up there somewhere.

I have a neighbor one. We have a neighbor that always has an issue keeping his Char bulls home. They will trash fences and what ever else. I have ran them to near death after coming over multiple times back to back because he wouldn't get rid of them.

So a few years back after issues he wanted to build new fence between us. He claimed that was the issue. He had a cousin that was a fence builder and he liver in that area. We went for it to keep the peace. Fence was trash and with in less than a year he had a bull go through it. He ended up putting a hot wire on his side to keep his bulls off the fence.

Here a month ago he has a bull go through the hot wire and regular fence and on our side again. He wouldn't come get it for over a week and my dad was getting pretty fed up with him. When my dad calls him again to see when he was going to get his bull the guy has the nerve to say... well, if yall would put a hot wire on yalls side also maybe we could prevent this. 🤬

Have people lost their minds? In what world do you tell your neighbors they need to add a hot wire to keep your bull out.

My dad always kind of frowns at me when I get on these other neighbors on my stuff but I know he lost it on him. 🤣

I have a neighbor one. We have a neighbor that always has an issue keeping his Char bulls home. They will trash fences and what ever else. I have ran them to near death after coming over multiple times back to back because he wouldn't get rid of them.

So a few years back after issues he wanted to build new fence between us. He claimed that was the issue. He had a cousin that was a fence builder and he liver in that area. We went for it to keep the peace. Fence was trash and with in less than a year he had a bull go through it. He ended up putting a hot wire on his side to keep his bulls off the fence.

Here a month ago he has a bull go through the hot wire and regular fence and on our side again. He wouldn't come get it for over a week and my dad was getting pretty fed up with him. When my dad calls him again to see when he was going to get his bull the guy has the nerve to say... well, if yall would put a hot wire on yalls side also maybe we could prevent this. 🤬

Have people lost their minds? In what world do you tell your neighbors they need to add a hot wire to keep your bull out.

My dad always kind of frowns at me when I get on these other neighbors on my stuff but I know he lost it on him. 🤣
Threaten the neighbor with castrating the bull. If you can't get close to the bull, use a 22.

I had the neighbor that would use my property to feed his cows, and the sheriff said it's a fence out state. If I don't want his animals on my property, it's up to ME to keep them out. How fair is that?

Threaten the neighbor with castrating the bull. If you can't get close to the bull, use a 22.
I am not opposed to handling problem cattle. The last time I ran one of his bulls in the truck across a pasture to a gate between us. He layed down about 50yds from the gate. I hot shotted him up and made him go through. He made it maybe 10yds through the gate and layed down again. I closed the gate and we didnt have trouble for a while. We were going on week 3 of him doing noting to get him back.

The sheriff's office will come get them. Some counties around here have a deputy or investigator as a livestock agent now. If you show them text messages and who the owner is they will go right to their door and knock or call them. If they don't answer they take the animal to county pens and they have to get it from them. They will charge them for housing and hauling and stuff.

I laughed a little when I found out we had one but he does a good job. I've used him twice and it worked out well to not have the liability on me me. Plus, it's not really the animals fault the owner is trash so this way they take it to the owner, where it belongs. Most the "old ways" put the animal in the middle which is not really fair.

mine is when a cherry tree branch falls and it kills 10 good cows.
My first thought was, "That has to be one heck of a branch and to have 10 cows standing under it at the same time is extreme in the odds the branch falling and killing the cows." Then it registered. You said CHERRY. The tree was in leaf and the cows ate the leaves - quite a lot - which is what actually killed them, not the impact.

Mine is trash. Not the usual roadside litter, but trash that gets thrown or blown in from the subdivisions that surround me. Nothing uncommon for me and my wife to pick up a full pickup loadView attachment 44696
Good grief! It almost appears as if you are cleaning up the aftermath of a tornado to get that stuff and volume!

Latest posts