Palmer Amaranth

Help Support CattleToday:

Clodhopper

Reaction score
I just found the first confirmed case of Palmer Amaranth in the area the other day. I know it can be a nightmare in bean fields. In reasonably healthy pasture, will it sprout and become a problem?

If the pasture is just grass, it will be easier to kill since dicamba, 2-4D can kill it when it's small, and won't hurt the grass.

Where was this at that they found it?

I found it in my neighbors garden. She didn't know what it was, so she let it go because it grew so fast, wanted to see what it was. It was about 5 1/2 feet tall, four feet across. Not seeded out yet, thank the lord. I think a bird must have carried it in. I live on the Edwards/Wayne county line.

I think the problem will be, this stuff grows so fast you won't know you have it until it's too late, unless you scout religiously. It's growth is explosive.

I've also heard it referred to as pigweed, although what we used to call pigweed around here is nothing like this. Palmer is like waterhemp on steroids.

I walked out and snapped that pic in the cow lot , we've had careless/pigweed for as long as I remember . it is just one of those things you deal with. I opened up the lot yesterday and alot of the careless has been he tip bitten off either by jackass or cows. I've seen them eat it when it young.

Two different plants: red root pigweed =spiney aramanth (up to about 30" tall) and palmer (up to 8 or 10' tall) is different. Animals, especially donkeys, will control both. Donkeys are best on red root and cows and sheep will scarf down palmer. Palmer is largely resistant to many herbicides here. Fields are hand pulled to stop the reseeding if the population is fully resistant.

All the garden catalogs are selling it. I can't believe its not considered a noxious weed.

King, that's what I was thinking.
Eb, thanks for the info. Good thing cows love it, they work even cheaper than illegals!

sim.-ang.king":1d67fis7 said:
M-5":1d67fis7 said:
We call that a sticker weed, it's not Palmer Amaranth.
There may be 2 variety both are amaranth both are known as pig weed or careless we have both here . you only see it in cultivated fields, gardens most of the time. I always thought they were the same until EB posted the difference. It does not bother me I kill it or cut it if it's in an area I have to frequent.

:
tdc_cattle":2mb0x3f5 said:
Your fortunate if it doesn't bother you. It costs me thousands of $'s a year.

If I had peanuts I'm sure I would be after it with a vengeance. Truth is it only grows where ground has been disturbed and if it's in the areas the cows and horses frequent it does not survive.

Its round up resistant. It's by far the biggest roundup resistant weed we have here. The chemicals we have to use to kill it aren't cheep. We have 1200 acres of soybeans this year. At an extra $30 an acre to spray for it that's $36,000.

Latest posts