Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Branded

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
Which calf is in the 2nd picture behind her?

That is her calf, President 8422 of Branded. The calf to the left of her is a President daughter.
You have better pictures of their feet? I've never seen a front set and back set looks so diversely different. So I'm just wondering if it's the photo themselves.

I'm going to halter break him later this week, will get the photos to you. It's the photo that might be throwing you off, it's taken with a wide angle 4K Go Pro, and the land is uneven where they are standing. His feet are very good. Charles told me that I would not see President progeny with bad feet.

Lucky_P said:
Didja ever get a diagnosis from the UK diagnostic lab?

Can't speak for him as to whether or not. When we have taken things there it seems like it's a while getting results. The consensus around here is that if its anything that infects fast that a lot of loss and damage can be done before the results are relayed. I figure it takes a while for various culture samples to grow, and possibly this time of year there may be a lot of specimens to examine.

Lucky_P said:

Yes, they sent the results to our Vet yesterday and they were inconclusive. They could not determine her cause of death. I'm pretty certain she got herself in a position where she could not get up. Her feet were pointing uphill when we found her.

As for her chemical tests, she was completely healthy.

Just a case of bad luck overall.

************* said:
Lucky_P said:

Yes, they sent the results to our Vet yesterday and they were inconclusive. They could not determine her cause of death. I'm pretty certain she got herself in a position where she could not get up. Her feet were pointing uphill when we found her.

Obesity has consequences.

Ebenezer said:
************* said:
Lucky_P said:

I was waiting for your comment. She was one of our smaller cows, as I have mentioned before. My cows that are easily 200-300 pounds heavier aren't having any issues at all. They are dying. They are doing just fine.

I appreciate your keen analysis of the situation however.

Just curious, at what weight range do cows avoid any accidents, 1100-1300 pound mature weight? Just curious.

************* said:
Ebenezer said:
************* said:

I was waiting for your comment. She was one of our smaller cows, as I have mentioned before. My cows that are easily 200-300 pounds heavier aren't having any issues at all. They are dying. They are doing just fine.

I appreciate your keen analysis of the situation however.

Just curious, at what weight range do cows avoid any accidents, 1100-1300 pound mature weight? Just curious.
You are curious.

I lost my favorite Hereford cow last fall. She got down on a steep slope up against a fence and died before anyone was aware of the situation. It was during a very wet period.

I'd guess her weight at no more than 1,100 pounds.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I lost my favorite Hereford cow last fall. She got down on a steep slope up against a fence and died before anyone was aware of the situation. It was during a very wet period.

Ooh, hurts worse when it's a fave. Sorry for your loss. Big or little, fat or thin, they're gonna find a way to die.

TennesseeTuxedo said:

I'm sorry about your loss. It can all happen in the blink of an eye.

That's one reason I use so much sexed semen, I'm wanting plenty of replacements for all that can and will possibly happen.

************* said:
Bright Raven said:
Lucky_P said:
Grass tetany?
Retired, so I'm out of touch with what's going on across the state, but it's that time of year... saw a press release from Dr. Arnold earlier this week, and a Drovers article about numerous GT deaths in MO...

Lucky,

Our grass over here is still pretty puny. Only in the last 3 days has it started. Plus, Branded uses excellent mineral (I think he said he found a mineral better than Vitaferm which he had been using).

Just some information to consider!

No report back yet from U.K., we delivered her yesterday morning.

Here is my best guess, she laid down after eating, got herself in a position where she had trouble, perhaps she was bloated, not sure, then could not get up. She was in a position when I found her with her legs uphill. I'm chalking it up to a freak accident.

She was not one of the bigger cows, she was around 1700 pounds, never a ravenous eater like some of the others.

I prefer to see her in this light, R.I.P. you great momma.

[image]265[/image]

[image]266[/image]

I truly appreciate all the comments from the folks on CT. They have helped me a lot, believe it or not.

Time to move on, things happen, that's cattle for you, that's life for you. We have lost 3 cows in the past 5 years, we are almost obsessive about their care, but no matter how hard you may try to prevent things, there is always the outlier that hits. The other two passed because of leg issues, one went into a groundhog hole, broke her leg, nearly certain of it, and the other slipped near a hilly area and suffered a stifle injury. None of which we could have prevented unless we followed them around 24/7. Again, thank you all for the kind words.

With that much ear you sure that ain't a Brangus. Branded I like to give you grief, but I'm sorry you lost that cow, she looks like a nice one. I could tell from the picture she struggled, her demise is one of the reasons I yell at my daughter when we work cows, work fast, be diligent and limit the stress. Cows don't do stress at all.

Ebenezer said:
************* said:
Lucky_P said:

That was a low blow and uncalled for, raise your own cattle as you see fit. Not cool.

CreekAngus said:
************* said:
Bright Raven said:
Lucky,

Our grass over here is still pretty puny. Only in the last 3 days has it started. Plus, Branded uses excellent mineral (I think he said he found a mineral better than Vitaferm which he had been using).

Just some information to consider!

No report back yet from U.K., we delivered her yesterday morning.

Here is my best guess, she laid down after eating, got herself in a position where she had trouble, perhaps she was bloated, not sure, then could not get up. She was in a position when I found her with her legs uphill. I'm chalking it up to a freak accident.

She was not one of the bigger cows, she was around 1700 pounds, never a ravenous eater like some of the others.

I prefer to see her in this light, R.I.P. you great momma.

[image]265[/image]

[image]266[/image]

I truly appreciate all the comments from the folks on CT. They have helped me a lot, believe it or not.

Time to move on, things happen, that's cattle for you, that's life for you. We have lost 3 cows in the past 5 years, we are almost obsessive about their care, but no matter how hard you may try to prevent things, there is always the outlier that hits. The other two passed because of leg issues, one went into a groundhog hole, broke her leg, nearly certain of it, and the other slipped near a hilly area and suffered a stifle injury. None of which we could have prevented unless we followed them around 24/7. Again, thank you all for the kind words.

With that much ear you sure that ain't a Brangus. Branded I like to give you grief, but I'm sorry you lost that cow, she looks like a nice one. I could tell from the picture she struggled, her demise is one of the reasons I yell at my daughter when we work cows, work fast, be diligent and limit the stress. Cows don't do stress at all.

Thank you.

I totally agree with the stress comment.

I read an article once where the owner of Peter Luger's steakhouse in Brooklyn said that she avoided beef that showed signs of stress, they could spot it immediately when examining the carcass.

The very best is never stressed. In my opinion.

Latest posts