Open heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Clodhopper

Reaction score
Since I don't want to hijack another ongoing thread, what are quality open heifers bringing now? I had the chance to buy around 20 Red Angus for $1125 a head, approx. ten months old. The seller said he figured they were around 700 pounds. I never went and looked, no money to buy right now, I'll have to wait until fall after I sell some grain. This group will be bred in November, so the price will go up, naturally, if they're still around.

I'd say that's reasonable. If I liked them, and wanted them, I'd give it. Looks like that's a little over market but worth it to me to know where they came from, if he raised them, and have background info on them, possibly breeding background as well. Depends on if it's worth around 150 bucks for you to have the info. If he put them together and has no info on them, it may be a little high, imo.

Medium and Large 1
728 lb @ 1.33 = 968
Medium and Large 1-2
734 @ 1.32 = 968

I would say at least in this area that is very reasonable if of good quality. Top quality bred heifers for fall calves have been around 1,800-2,000 and for Jan-March calves 1,500-1,750 asking price. And they are moving all be it slow I think. I looked at some top quality Hereford heifers for $1,650 and feel they are worth it. May still buy a few. These are reputation quality heifers that a year ago would of brought $2,750.

If those heifers are of good quality and intended for breeding purposes, paying over "sale barn" prices should not be an issue. You are buying by the head as an investment for the future. If one is concerned about price per pound, go select replacements and additions at the sale barn. You get what you pay for.

mrvictordomino":3taz94x9 said:
If those heifers are of good quality and intended for breeding purposes, paying over "sale barn" prices should not be an issue. You are buying by the head as an investment for the future. If one is concerned about price per pound, go select replacements and additions at the sale barn. You get what you pay for.

Danny very well stated. And why I hesitate to buy bred heifers that come from up north that many heifer developers sell in this region. You have no idea about their breeding. I pay a little more for cattle in my region that I know will perform in this environment. In the end it is cheap insurance. I have seen too many wrecks buying the unknow.

I agree, I'm more than willing to pay a "premium" to get reputable cattle. I didn't think his asking price was unfair at all. No offense to anyone who does, but I'll not be going to the sale barn for replacement heifers, unless it's a dispersal. There's enough risk with them anyway.

Latest posts