Old Posts and Memories

Help Support CattleToday:

snake67

Reaction score
Transplanted westerner - now as far east in Ontari
I was cruising some old posts a while back and found this - I wrote it in Dec of 2004 - right in the heart of the BSE fiasco in Canada. I had a little chuckle.

We still have one of those animals on the farm. I shipped the calf out of it last week and gave the new owner - their son - $864 and some change.

He is in his last year of college. They still have no money and we do it for the sake of being a good neighbour.

Good thing about this kid - he was the "go to / call" person at 0300 for help when I was working overseas and my wife had difficulties on the farm. He always showed, never complained and busted his butt when she needed help. When I recently got a bit hurt - he showed up to cut up a huge pile of logs for winter heat at the farm - no questions asked - just did it - and wanted no money for it.

Seems good things do come to those who do good to others.

This red angus cow has never had a heifer calf - if she does I am keeping it - awesome longevity - she is at least 12 - 15 years or more in age and raises a bang up calf every year - we have never had a lick of trouble with her and that means I probably just jinxed myself.

Anyways - I sometimes wonder long she will last - I would like a heifer out of her.

Thought some of you might find the story interesting.

Got to run - best to all,

Bez

by Bez » 18 Dec 2004 11:06

Well, I had a couple of visitors last week and the semi-permanent guests arrived to stay a couple of days later.

As tough as it is here, one of my neighbours is in worse shape. He and his wife came to us and asked us to take in their cattle. They culled out the worst of them and sold them for almost 35 cents a pound (bred) - and brought the remnants over to our place. So now we have a patchwork quilt of animals in the winter pasture - Horned Herefords, Black Angus, Red Angus and a couple of "whatevers" that are tan in colour. Not too many - I think we have about 15 extra guests now. Not truly a big number, but on this operation it is an additional crowd.

Fortunately we have always run both herds of young cattle together on shared rented pasture and have always been on the same vaccination program. Their feed program and ours are identical. Like us they also run a closed herd - never buying off farm animals to keep the numbers up. So I am not worried about importing any troubles.

But it was sobering to see them sit at the table that day. So, I looked at wife and said - "What the h@ll, we can stretch the feed a bit - whadya' think?"

I figure it's gonna' be tight now - but I'll think of something - suspect I can scrounge some extra corn for nothing from another big hearted neighbour we know well - he and his wife are community minded folk - and I think there might have 40 bales of last years hay sitting unused at another place that I can get for a few bucks.

As it is I just gave a ton of corn fines and undersized corn to another fellow and his son for their few animals this morning.

Wife says - "Bring em on over."

They say - "Can't pay you anything"

Wife says - "Not an issue - bring em on over."

So, now we have some extra expenses - and it's gonna' hurt - but we just had a tough time letting this go. Heavens, when I think of the number of people waiting for money from me it is a bit daunting. What do you do when good folks come to you like this?

Anyway, off to feed them all and see how it goes.

Regards to all,

Bez

You sound like the person I think all of us should try to be. And also thanks for all you do to help make this world safe. Hope you heal up real fast.