Oil on hoof rot?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of putting diesel oil on hoof rot? An oldtimer told me this is what they used to do to help cure it. I've thought about it and can kinda see where this might work if the hoof rot was caused by dry conditions resulting in cracking of the skin. Anyone ever heard of this treatment? (this was in addition to regular treatment)

I have done that Jo. Might not have been foot rot, maybe just fungus but it works. If you catch them early and can get there foot soaked down pretty good.Hopping one day walking fine the next.

Thanks. I did this today - figured what the heck - the fella normally gives good advice and I can kinda see how it might help.

About two months ago we had a bull with hoofrot and my grandpa suggested putting diesel on his foot. So we did and we poored it kinda of high on his leg to let it soak down, well on his leg the diesel looked as it ate his flesh away and caused pretty good scaring. Well about one week later the hoofrot never got better and maybe worse so we took him to a vet and new pasture hoofrot problem solved. Well Wednesday i saw him again now favoing three feet and one swelled again. :mad: So i sprayed idodine on his foot but that's all i know to do besides taking him back to the vet. Anything yall know i have tried to ease it up? This bull is starting to cause us a little to much money :( Vet trips are not to cheap..

I gave mine 60 cc's of LA200, cleaned her hoof and looked for a nail or any foreign object and found none. Washed it down with Iodine solution then poured the diesel over it. Gave her a scoop of sweet feed. Put her on a fresh pasture with some calves so she doesn't have to walk so far. Seems like she was walking better yesterday and I think she wants to get in the chute again for another scoop of that strange but good tasting stuff I fed her. :lol2:

TNMasterBeefProducer":3vc9fyty said:
Jogeephus":3vc9fyty said:
I gave mine 60 cc's of LA200, cleaned her hoof and looked for a nail or any foreign object and found none. Washed it down with Iodine solution then poured the diesel over it. Gave her a scoop of sweet feed. Put her on a fresh pasture with some calves so she doesn't have to walk so far. Seems like she was walking better yesterday and I think she wants to get in the chute again for another scoop of that strange but good tasting stuff I fed her. :lol2:

It is pretty amazing how well la 200 works on foot rot and pinkeye usually clearing up over night if it is not to bad.

It is amazing stuff but I just wish they could make it stronger where you could inject 10cc's and get the same results as 50-60.

Jogeephus":1rdgh3e1 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":1rdgh3e1 said:
Jogeephus":1rdgh3e1 said:

It is pretty amazing how well la 200 works on foot rot and pinkeye usually clearing up over night if it is not to bad.

It is amazing stuff but I just wish they could make it stronger where you could inject 10cc's and get the same results as 50-60.

See the attached link for a new generic 300mg oxytet. It's 50% stronger than LA 200 so you only need 2/3 as much. Been using it about a month and really like it. The over-the-counter version is labled for 3ml/100 dosage (equal to 4.5 ml of LA 200). They also have a precription version that is labled for 4.5 ml/100 dosage that gives an even longer effective treatment time.

http://www.norbrookinc.com/products/pro ... in-300-la/

There are a lot of different drugs on the market that work very well for foot rot.The reason long acting pen is the most popular is that it is over the counter and it is cheap.

I like la200, but the huge dosages are a pain. I am glad to know there is another strength of the drug available. Jo, I don't know if diesel works or not, but surely with all the good treatment you gave that cow, something is bound to have worked!

Thanks Texaspapa, I'll look for some of this. I thought there should be a way of concentrating it some and glad to know there is. Thanks, 4 states, I guess you can call that treatment the shotgun approach. I'll probably check her today.

Jogeephus":l0dl2e7c said:
Anyone ever heard of putting diesel oil on hoof rot? An oldtimer told me this is what they used to do to help cure it. I've thought about it and can kinda see where this might work if the hoof rot was caused by dry conditions resulting in cracking of the skin. Anyone ever heard of this treatment? (this was in addition to regular treatment)
Have heard of folks using just about everything from burned motor oil to formaldehyde in a foot bath. Seems nothing works very well.

They(and we) used to do lots of stuff 'back in the day'... and the cattle survived and healed up in spite of it.
Don't believe for a second that diesel fuel has any magical healing properties.

Just because you can...doesn't mean that you should...

I got a 700+ pound steer, it's time to wean. Saw it yesterday, 3 leg lame. Completely carrying one front. I'm suspicioning abcess, more than anything else.

Bigfoot- I'd suspect something different than footrot in a front leg.

I'm with Lucky... and I'd venture a guess the 60cc's of oxytet had far more to do with the healing than the topical application of diesel fuel...

By the time you figure the cost of the huge required dose of LA 200 - 300 I'd rather go ahead and pop em with Draxxin and be done. But that's just me.

Diesel on footrot is equivalent to peeing to put out a grassfire...

The 300 mg oxytet that we get here has the same dosage as the 100 and 200 its just a longer lasting, slower releasing carrier. Brandname is Alamycin LA 300.

Latest posts