Oil free Turkey Fryer

Help Support CattleToday:

Gunner

Reaction score
Got a flyer today advertising an Oil Free Electric Turkey Fryer. Have never heard of this. Does anybody have one of these and does it produce fried turkey comparable with the turkey fried in oil?

I've read threads on another site, and it seemed pretty unanimous, it produces results as good or better than deep fried. I'm curious to see if anyone here also has had the same results. I'm nearly convinced to buy one.

I was curious enough to google it, looks neat enough but it's a little deceiving, it's nothing more than a roaster with a little smoke tray for chips. Their claim to being a fryer is it gives the skin a fried like texture.

I'm pretty sure it's not exactly a roaster. The ones I'm thinking of use infrared cooking rather than normal heating elements.

My mother has one. It's not bad. Doesn't dry it out. I like trash can turkey myself.

I was thinking of getting one today. They are on sale for $88. Does this sound about right. My nephew ha one and the turkey was very good. I love fried turkey, but don't like the effort and expense of the deep oil version.

M.Magis":12ykfe6f said:
I'm pretty sure it's not exactly a roaster. The ones I'm thinking of use infrared cooking rather than normal heating elements.

It could easily be a different one, I googled oil fee turkey fryer and watched a YouTube video. I think it was the Butterball fryer, had the CEO in it and he called it a roaster.

Yeah, I think they're two different things. The one I'm thinking of is propane powered. In the end, maybe they're doing the same thing? I don't know, but people sure seem to like the product.

Hers was about a hundred bucks. It's more like an outdoor oven. Built like a fryer, but has a glass lid. I would call the texture of the meat similar to rotisserie chicken. The skin is crispy like it was fried though.

Pays for itself in oil savings, but my mother is a clean freak. She spends quit a bit of time cleaning hers. I doubt most of what she does is necessary though. You can cook more than turkeys in it of course.

I'll be able to give an opinion in a week or so. I've had a $50 Best Buy gift card for the last 4 years just sitting around. Figured that was a good way to use it, so only had to pay $50 of my own money. I don't have a fryer, never wanted to deal with/buy the oil. This sounds like a nice alternative, though I think I'd find more uses for a fryer.

M.Magis":2o7r9chm said:
I'll be able to give an opinion in a week or so. I've had a $50 Best Buy gift card for the last 4 years just sitting around. Figured that was a good way to use it, so only had to pay $50 of my own money. I don't have a fryer, never wanted to deal with/buy the oil. This sounds like a nice alternative, though I think I'd find more uses for a fryer.

Is the one your looking at propane? Also please post pics I'm pretty curious about them. Thanks

bbirder":2a4zlm9d said:
M-5":2a4zlm9d said:
It's just to easy to fry one.

But it eliminates the expense of oil and cleanup!

??? nobody uses oil another time of the year. Clean up is as simple as putting a funnel in the jug you poured it out of and pour grease back in it for future use. a little simple green in a pot scrub and rinse. 15 min tops. Are you saying that an electrical appliance is easier to clean??? if your buying expensive Pnut oil to fry your turkey in then I can understand it. veg oil is equal IMO. I may not know what Im talking about tho since ive only fried around 2000 turkeys or so.

Alan":22h120s9 said:
Is the one your looking at propane? Also please post pics I'm pretty curious about them. Thanks
Yes, it's propane. It's the Charbroil one, the one I've read most reviews about. I'll take some pics when it gets here. I butchered some broilers a few weeks back, I'll use a couple to test it out.

The reason I never got a fryer is I just don't think I'd use it much, maybe a couple times per year. If I had to buy new oil every time I wanted to cook something, it just doesn't make sense. Plus, I don't have anywhere I would feel good about splattering oil. Level ground around here only comes from a dozer, so my yard is all hill. At the same time, I still plan to get one for boiling outside (maple syrup/trap dye/scalding chickens). Any tips on a good one? I'm considering building my own. I can make a stand better than most I've seen, and a pot isn't a problem. Not sure where to get a good quality burner. I borrowed on last year that sounded like a rocket when you cranked it up. That's what I'm looking for.

I have both the Butterball Electric fryer and the propane infrared oilless. Think fryer does prettier bird, but end
result about same. Directions on mine said rub turkey with oil, appears that where fried taste comes from. Someone
mentioned cleanliness, the inside of the infrared will have burned on grease as Your grill would. I just wash my rack
and not worry about looks.

Latest posts