Obamacare - my story

Help Support CattleToday:

Richardin52

Reaction score
Owning and operating a farm has it's pluses and minuses. One of the minuses, at least in Maine, is health insurance. Last time I checked before Obama care it was over $900.00 a month for me and my wife and that was with a $2,500.00 deductible. Needless to say we did not have health insurance.

On December 23 I signed up for Obama care and was surprised to find based on our income, it was easily affordable. Both my wife and I don't smoke or drink, watch what we eat and never go to the doctors. We are very healthy and in our 60's so I took the cheapest silver plan they offered.

The plan went into effect Jan 1, on Jan. 2 I passed a kidney stone. I rolled around on the floor from 6:00 PM until 1:00 AM until my wife dragged me out to the truck and took me to the ER. Long story short, I have passed three kidney stones since January. They operated took the rest out after the third one passed. But that's not all.

When they listened to my heart they said I had a significant heart murmur and after tests are now saying my aortic valve has only two leaves instead of three and has worked harder all my life because of this but is now failing. I will be having open heart surgery in about a month.

There is a lot of BS out there about Obama care both for and against, most of it driven by politics. All I can say is I don't know if Obama care saved my life but it sure saved the farm.

This is the first comment I have heard where it actually has been a good thing for anyone. Thank goodness with your circumstances that it turned out to be a good thing for you. May we hope that it will be affordable and helpful to many more??
Good luck in your return to robust health!

I know there are success stories out there and I'm pleased that it sounds like it works well for you, Richardin52. I would like to know more about monthly cost, deductible and total out of pocket. Also, I've heard some of the policies have max payments, which all the above plays into whether it's actually a good policy or not. Taking someone without insurance and giving them "affordable" monthly payments with high deductibles and out of pocket expenses would play into it being in the good category or not.

Edited to add my best wishes and prayers to you.

Richardin52":35p7dzv6 said:
Owning and operating a farm has it's pluses and minuses. One of the minuses, at least in Maine, is health insurance. Last time I checked before Obama care it was over $900.00 a month for me and my wife and that was with a $2,500.00 deductible. Needless to say we did not have health insurance.

On December 23 I signed up for Obama care and was surprised to find based on our income, it was easily affordable. Both my wife and I don't smoke or drink, watch what we eat and never go to the doctors. We are very healthy and in our 60's so I took the cheapest silver plan they offered.

The plan went into effect Jan 1, on Jan. 2 I passed a kidney stone. I rolled around on the floor from 6:00 PM until 1:00 AM until my wife dragged me out to the truck and took me to the ER. Long story short, I have passed three kidney stones since January. They operated took the rest out after the third one passed. But that's not all.

When they listened to my heart they said I had a significant heart murmur and after tests are now saying my aortic valve has only two leaves instead of three and has worked harder all my life because of this but is now failing. I will be having open heart surgery in about a month.

There is a lot of BS out there about Obama care both for and against, most of it driven by politics. All I can say is I don't know if Obama care saved my life but it sure saved the farm.
When you did the application, (assuming you did the online thing) and in the summary part, what did it say in the little box right before you went to select your plan?
Is Maine one of the states that chose to expand Medicaid?

Richardin52":1i24qji9 said:

Best wishes my friend. I hope it works out for you.

Missed the very last part of the original post-----------prayers that everything goes perfect with your heart surgery--heck, you're going to feel like a 20 year old when it's done.

Glad this was discovered and I pray for a full recovery and a long life for you.

Curious
How much of a subsidy did you get?

I understand heart issues completely and hope the speediest recovery and be sure to follow dr instructions. I am glad the program did help you. I had general convo with someone at my wifes work in the hospital restaurant and we got to talking about obamacare and they said it sucked and was the worst program ever i said oh ok well what do you think about the affordable care act they said oh yea thats a great program and will help alot of people and do good for this country I just smiled and laughed on the inside and said you have a good day maam. It's amazing how people associate bad always with obamacare but then the true name is the greatest thing ever lol Not trying to hijack post but thought some may find the humor in it. Richard wish you the best.

Glad it worked for you.
My insurance got cancelled thanks to this program. Just before it went into affect my monthly cost rose 4 times within 6 months where before it only rose in cost once a year.

Had to get all new insurance which for both hubby and I is cheaper, but it makes me wonder what all is going to happen in the coming years.

The realistic and unfortunate thing is no matter what you do program and law wise not everyone is going to be happy or pleased
That being said Obamacare has not helped nor hurt my insurance.

skyhightree1":39lflfq0 said:
The realistic and unfortunate thing is no matter what you do program and law wise not everyone is going to be happy or pleased
That being said Obamacare has not helped nor hurt my insurance.
Wait and see, It's not over till the fat lady sings.

Im on wife's insurance she's a Rn for a large health care network don't think will affect us too much but if it does you will be the 2nd to know.

skyhightree1":corrzwdy said:
Im on wife's insurance she's a Rn for a large health care network don't think will affect us too much but if it does you will be the 2nd to know.
You don't have to notify me of anything, my point is don't count on anything.

Quite a few folks are happy with their insurance up north. But their the one's that have lived off the government for years during the winter. In the south obama care is hurting more folks than it's helping, we don't get unemployment in the winter because the river is froze over. I don't think the government has a right to tell me what to do. You can bet your last dollar, that the red state's don't get the benefits that the blue ones do. I hate liberals.

kerley":2uup90hw said:
skyhightree1":2uup90hw said:
You don't have to notify me of anything, my point is don't count on anything.

No doubt I was just saying im a firm believer that nothing is forever but current status nothing has changed i am sure some A.H. will figure out how he can save $$ then it will change and we will pay more. If I remember correctly after my youngest was born we owed 700.00 and the insurance paid like 21k or something like that. I thought am really glad someone part of the C.T. forum has been helped by it.

highgrit":7nlx3v1z said:
I don't think the government has a right to tell me what to do.

When you figure out how to get them to stop telling you when to pay taxes and to pay them let me know PLEASE I will vote for you and be a major contributor to your campaign or buy your instructional dvd's... :lol2:

You got lucky and you may be ahead $$ wise but don't give BHO credit. To live into your 60's with no insurance and never have needed it is really pushing the envelope. Lucky you didn't lose the farm 40 years ago. But glad they found the problems and hopefully they can get them fixed. Best wishes.

I have a quite a bit of interest in the insurance thing because my wife plans to retire at the end of the year. When I retired (from the same place) she added me for a pretty small amount. The retiree's insurance was costing around $350.00 a month back then, but she has been paying less than that. We had planned to keep up a COBRA policy with them after she retired, but with Obamacare kicking in retiree's insurance is now over $1200.00 per month making it impossible for either of us to go that route. I'll be searching for something affordable (if it exists) in the next few months. Thx prez!

Latest posts