Nursing cow feed

Help Support CattleToday:

laek

Reaction score
Hi I just got a pair of Herefords, I'm wondering if she needs anything other than grass/hay and mineral to help with her milk supply? Grain possibly?

Is her calf growing ? How old is her calf ? If my momma cows are raising calves on hay / grass and minerals I don't supplement momma . During winter I may creep feed my calves if it looks like they need a little extra help. Some folks feed regardless but I'm trying to make my cattle pay their way and not be a financial drain .

The calf is 15 days old and seems to be growing well enough, lots of energy. I'm asking because her udder looks empty. I come from a dairy background and obviously I can't expect her udder to compare lol thanks for the advice

Is she currently producing milk? What is her body condition score?
How old is her calf? Is she pregnant?

welcome to cf

Is she currently producing milk? What is her body condition score?
How old is her calf? Is she pregnant?

welcome to cf
Yes she is producing milk, not sure what her score would be but she isn't skinny. The calf is just 15 days old.

If the calf is going on her every hour and acts like it is not getting enough and going from one to another teat, then maybe she is not producing enough. Other than that, the calf is sucking regularly and you do NOT want her to have a big full looking udder..... The less edema the better too, so don't grain her if they have good grazing. Sure, a handful to get them to come in to the barn or catch pen is fine... use it as an enticement to get them to do what you want... and if the calf doesn't look like it is gaining weight, and wants to suck constantly, then give her a little grain to boost her milk, and then be serious about her ability to raise up a calf, and ship her if she cannot raise a calf without added extras.
The cow will let her milk down more once the calf goes on her and it actually will fill as the calf is sucking. But they also don't need to produce more than a qt or 2 at most at each feeding... and the calf will nurse several times a day.

I've noticed the calf is sucking frequently and switching teats. Unfortunately I think I'll try graining her a bit and see if that helps. If it doesn't help and the calf is still looking for milk frequently, should I go to the dreaded replacer🥺? When should I make that call? Really don't want to in fear that mamma loses her supply completely.

I've noticed the calf is sucking frequently and switching teats. Unfortunately I think I'll try graining her a bit and see if that helps. If it doesn't help and the calf is still looking for milk frequently, should I go to the dreaded replacer🥺? When should I make that call? Really don't want to in fear that mamma loses her supply completely.
Most people that are newcomers to cattle overthink what is going on. And a lot of people equate food with love/care/responsibility. That usually means they over indulge so they feel better... not because their animals need extra. Of course there are legitimate reasons to be informed and aware, but cattle have been raising babies since God was in diapers.
Is this the first calf of a heifer? If she's raised a calf successfully in the past she's probably fine. Some cows have huge udders and some have very small udders. Small udders can raise a fine calf. The highest weaning weight I ever had was a first calf heifer with hardly any udder. She raised a HUGE calf.

There are ranches around with large acreages and massive numbers of cattle. They don't baby their cows and they get heavy calf crops without intervening to make sure every calf is getting enough milk.

Basically, what I am trying to tell you... is that unless you KNOW something is going badly I'd advise you to let the cow raise her calf without interference. Be sure she has good forage and plenty of water.

Ok thanks for the advice, I don't want to intervene unless necessary. I think you're right, I don't KNOW that anything is actually wrong.

I bought them from a neighbour that buys and sells cattle. I was told this is her second calf. I think he bought her as part of a herd. Beyond that I don't know much about her.

I agree with the overthinking part @Travlr said. I was trying to tell you a few differences in the sucking part compared to a dairy calf that gets fed twice or sometimes 3x a day. At 15 days, the calf is going to go to the cow more often to suck... and not get enough to give it scours in most cases as that is nature's way....lesser amount and more often.

I would not start to supplement the calf with replacer unless you KNOW for a fact that the cow is not making enough milk. If the calf is hungry, it will start nosing around and start eating other stuff at a younger age. Perhaps you can make a creep area where the calf can get into and the cow can't... and if it comes in and starts eating grain that you are offering in the creep area, then it is not getting enough. But for now, I think you are worrying too much.

I bought them from a neighbour that buys and sells cattle. I was told this is her second calf. I think he bought her as part of a herd. Beyond that I don't know much about her.
Cattle traders can vary quite a bit in what they know and what they will tell you. I always told anyone the truth as I knew it, but I've known the other sort.

IF... she is part of a herd dispersal and this is her second calf, I wouldn't worry too much.

Time will tell you what you need to know.

So, she is part of a herd dispersal or something. Maybe the cow was not on good grass and so she needs to have a little time to eat so she can produce more milk. If you do not have good grazing, then good hay should provide most all the cow needs along with a good mineral mix.
Give her some time to settle in.... and you will be able to see what kind of a mother she is.
I agree with @Travlr .... time will tell.

All good advice! You've got friends here.

U can seperate the calf for 12 hrs or so and see whatvher bag looks like then as well. Then there is always putting her in a chute and verify that she is actually giving milk.

Like was said. Not all cows have a big bag of milk. Supply and demand comes to mind.

Latest posts