Number 10

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Ten cows have calved and there are eleven calves. All from fat cows and all unassisted.

Yesterday morning I saw Margo alone on her journey to the back of the farm. I drove back there about 15 minutes before dusk last night to find her laying near the creek with a calf beside her. I just had enough time before dark to get the calf weighed and dosed with Inforce 3 and First Defense.

Dam: Margo
Sire: Lock N Load 1143Y
Due: 9/22/2019
DOB: 9/16/2019
Gestation: 279 days - another early one.
Weight: 98 pound bull.

It was too dark for a picture but she already has the calf out and up on top. I took this about 15 minutes before sunset this evening.

Margo is big. I think she will weigh 1700. Her calves are big:
2015. 105 pounds. Sired by Steel Force
2016. 98 pounds. Sired by Spartacus
2017. 104 pounds. Sired by Optimizer
2018. 67 pounds. Sired by Cowboy Cut
2019. 98 pounds. Sired by Lock N Load 1143Y

Made up for the one you lost earlier!

Why do you breed to a different sire every year if something works well?

gcreekrch said:

I have not found a match with Margo that I am happy with. Her best calf was the one out of Spartacus. I sold that calf as a steer to a User on this board and his son showed him. I sold Spartacus when I went to 100 % AI. None of her bull calves have ever made it as bulls.

Bright Raven said:
gcreekrch said:

I have not found a match with Margo that I am happy with. Her best calf was the one out of Spartacus. I sold that calf as a steer to a User on this board and his son showed him. I sold Spartacus when I went to 100 % AI. None of her bull calves have ever made it as bulls.

Then she needs another to replace her.

Disclaimer........ We can all run the neighbors outfit better than our own. :D

gcreekrch said:
Bright Raven said:
gcreekrch said:

Then she needs another to replace her.

Disclaimer........ We can all run the neighbors outfit better than our own. :D

Lol. She is big and framey but she does raise a pretty good calf. She doesn't produce the kind of heavy muscled calves that sell good for bulls. Her calves have a lot of leg under them. I was hoping that Lock N Load 1143Y would fix that. This calf does look like one of her better calves. We shall see.

sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:
I sold that calf as a steer to a User on this board and his son showed him.

If memory serves, that calf should be on the show circuit about now. How is he doing in the show ring?

No. This calf went from the show ring into a carcass contest. This was her 2016 calf.

sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:
No. This calf went from the show ring into a carcass contest. This was her 2016 calf.

And how did he do?

His son had fun. Margo's most unique quality is her disposition and she has passed that on to everyone of her calves. They like people and they like attention. They enjoyed the steer and the steer was easy for his young son to work with.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Calf looks really thick already. Ten down. good job. How many left? I only have 5 calving this fall.

Jeanne, 7 more to go. It sure has gone well, knock on wood.

Latest posts