Now for some heifers.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
Since I was out with the camera, I took some heifer pictures too and thought I would share...

This one I hope Gizmom sees. This is a December half blood, sired by American Pride out of an angus cow Bear Mountain Pride, who's sire Gizmom is familiar with. When I bought the eggs, she said the dam's side should be pretty nice. We like her so far. She has an Angus butt, but is coming along nicely for a half blood:
nqz14w.jpg

This is a November Broker x Joys Shadow heifer. Her sister is pictured below, with a calf. We put in three eggs and got the two females from the purchase.
24glgup.jpg

And here is the reason I do not care for One Eyed Jack offspring. This September born heifer is just average, with no depth. Her dam is a first calf heifer, Upgrade sired, who was 7th overall in TX at the Simmental nationals (bred and owned). She is the granddaughter of our good Built Right matriarch cow.
eb53x3.jpg

This is also a September, 3/4 blood. She is sired by Head's Up out of our good Built Right matriarch cow.
al5f1z.jpg

Another September 3/4 blood, out of a Pacesetter cow who is out of our matriarch Built Right cow. She is sired by Iron Hide and did not want to have her picture taken!
4fxr47.jpg

Another 3/4 blood September heifer, sired by Iron hide out of a Shear Force cow. We are selling her dam this year as a bred in our fall sale. We have this heifer we are keeping and a two year old sister.
2ldkqkj.jpg

This last one is the flush sister to the Broker above. She calved earlier this month, a heifer calf, sired by Broadway. Our Broadway calves are coming small! But she is growing! This pair will be in our sale this fall.
k48obt.jpg

I am thinking about putting the three September heifers in a group, AI'ing them the week before the sale (for a September calf), and selling choice. I will likely use W/C Lockdown or Pays to Dream as the AI sires... still debating. We still have to clip all the cattle in our sale, and get them pictured (we will likely have about 15 animals to clip and picture). So much to do, so little time!

Nice pictures, and I agree with you on the One Eyed Jack heifer.. the next two after that doesn't seem to special either, I do like the last whiteface though from what I can see

I wish brokers numbers weren't soo bad for calving ease... but his calves sure look nice. Good set of calves though.

FSR have any Redheads? it seems like red Sim influenced cattle are starting to make alittle comeback in my area.

Baldie Maker":3l69qf1l said:
FSR have any Redheads? it seems like red Sim influenced cattle are starting to make alittle comeback in my area.

I have one red heifer, and a red white faced bull (in the Farm Fest thread I started). They do seem to be making a comeback, and I even purchased 14 embryos recently from various red donor dams! I love a deep red simmi..... and if she has a blaze, even better!

I would take several like the sencond one. Like the top one and the bald faced also.

I agree, that OEJ heifer isn't anything special, but neither are the 2 below her. Genetics are funny like that. Had a National champ Brown Swiss cow that was bred to the best bulls in the breed at the time and never gave me a decent calf.

Other cattle look great, I really dig that Iron Hide! The Broadway calf looks good right now as well.

When everything is said and done in 3 or 4 years all of those heifers will make good cows. I kept a lot of heifers that needed culling while I was building my herd, and they all turned out decent. I sell most of my heifers off the farm and get stuck with the culls and leftovers, so far the leftovers have won the best pen at the state sale twice now as bred heifers.
Go figure, because I can't.

True Grit Farms":113ne951 said:
When everything is said and done in 3 or 4 years all of those heifers will make good cows. I kept a lot of heifers that needed culling while I was building my herd, and they all turned out decent. I sell most of my heifers off the farm and get stuck with the culls and leftovers, so far the leftovers have won the best pen at the state sale twice now as bred heifers.

It is like last winter when we were selecting some heifers out of a group from a reputable breeder. He has been in the business a long time and they are very uniform. I asked his opinion on the heifers. He said the only way to know you got the best ones would be to buy the whole bunch and then in 1-3 years you would know. Likely everyone of them was going to make good cows but only time will tell which ones will be the best. In this same herd 2 years ago he had a very nice heifer out of one of his top cows and a very top maternal sire. Everyone picked her at the top of the group. She has had 2 calves now and don't milk enough. No real explanation. Her milk EPD is good. Her dam is a very good milker and the sire has numerous very milky daughters in production. Sometimes in genetics we see things that don't add up. With that being said I would add any of those heifers to our herd but the 2nd one stands out to me. Time will be the final judge.

So, we weighed the above heifers today.
The first heifer, half blood, 9 months old, 904
Second heifer, Broker, 10 months old, 816
Third heifer, One Eyed Jack, yearling, 944
Fourth heifer, Head's Up, yearling, 930
fifth heifer, Iron Hide, yearling, 854
White faced Iron Hide, yearling, 1000
So there you go! I think those are fair yearling weights. The white faced Iron Hide (Dinah) is a tank! She is out of a small Shear Force cow (one of my smallest cows), so I am surprised she is so big!
Like all have said, each one of these girls will make good cows if they take after their dams. The only ones I do not have dam history on is the top two, since they are embryos. But the second one, Broker sired, has a sister (last cow pictured) in production that is doing a darn good job I'd say!

FSR it just shows that things can be deceiving looking at pics. The OEJ heifer has some growth and weight to her. Evidently heavier made than I thought. Will be interesting how she grows out.

Dogs and Cows":2gww5cxl said:
True Grit Farms":2gww5cxl said:

TG...what do raise? For some reason I thought you were a commercial guy...

Tim

Tim, we are mostly commercial but I use my best commercial cows as recips. I'm in a limited partnership with a friend and raise and sell registered Angus, SimAngus bulls and heifers. We have 3 bulls in Clemson, 4 in Calhoun, and 4 in Tifton, at bull evaluation tests and sales. And quite few more at the farm for private treaty sales. If you need any top of the line bulls or heifers please let me know, I'd be privileged to earn your business. Thanks, Vince

Latest posts