Nichols Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley

Reaction score
Has anyone used any of the Nichols cattle from Iowa or had any experience with their bloodlines? I am primarily interested in the Angus cattle they have and your opinions of them. :)

They sell quite a few bulls and some females. I have no personal experience with them. They do have a couple of bulls in the stud that seem to see some pretty good use.

They are good cattle, for the type of environment they run in.

mtnman

We got a hold of two Nichols cows and we have kept a lot of heifers from those two. They are good functional cattle for me, but I was wondering what others thought.

Over all I haven't heard of anything bad about them. Just like any other breeders cattle, there is gonna be some culls on an ongoing basis.

thier bulls dont have all that good of reputation here in NC. Just get average calves from them I hear.Good females for the most part though.

It will take a while before these "new players" can feed the bulls "correctly" enough to make them "look" like the breeders already established.

:D

The genetics are there, even if the "looks" aren't. Dave isn't much on good looking cattle, he's more data driven than that.

mtnman

mtnman":2ijedzm4 said:
It will take a while before these "new players" can feed the bulls "correctly" enough to make them "look" like the breeders already established.

:D

The genetics are there, even if the "looks" aren't. Dave isn't much on good looking cattle, he's more data driven than that.

mtnman

I don't understand. Who are the "new players"?

Data driven cattle are good (real good). Personally, I like the data driven ones that are good looking as well. As a matter of fact I'd say the good looking ones are the most functional.

Note: I'm not talking about show ring hog fat when I say good looking.

Sure you could marry an average looking smart girl, but wouldn't a knockout with brains be great! ;-)

lakading, the "new players" I was refering to are the ones signing up to expand the Nichols concept.

Most of them are pretty new players to the seedstock game.

I understand what you are saying-data driven plus looks is ideal.

mtnman

I had 2 Nichols angus bulls I used in my commercial herd for several years. They are gone now but a lot of their daughters are here producing well. They sired some very thick very attractive cattle.

Latest posts