Niagara Falls

Help Support CattleToday:

wlamarparmer

Reaction score
Looking for advice anyone in area or been there. Wife wants to do couple days Niagara Falls for
Anniversary this year, says always been on her bucket list. Looking late August/early Sept. Instead
depending on reviews on line, wanted opinions of real people. What to do, US side or Canada., etc.
She has movie scenario in her head of sitting in room seeing falls, from what I can find that ain't gonna
happen. Any advice and comments appreciated. Health issues have me somewhat mobility limited,
can do level ground w/o issue but hills and long stairs cause issue.
Thanks
Lamar

Been a while since I've been there, so can't say what to do exactly while there, but the canadian side is the better side, better views, and more to do.

Its been a few years since I went up to Niagara Falls. I always stayed on the American side and just walked across the boarder via way of the Rainbow Bridge. Have your passport ready. It was easier to get into Canada but a PITA to get back into the US. Most of the activities, views, tourist traps are on the Canada side. If its on her bucket list, you'll be disappointed if you don't go over to the Canada side. The area around the Falls is set up for walking, depending upon your limited mobility and what you can do as far as walking, your best bet might be to drive across and stay on the Canada side. There's a lot of hotels with views of the Falls. US side doesn't have a whole lot to entertain you for a couple of days. Prices usually drop after Labor Day. Take lots of money, its a tourist trap but the Falls themselves are amazing.

When my youngest daughter was a diver, we went to Buffalo for a competition. Went to Niagara Falls while there. We took her and our youngest son who was around 11, daughter was 13. Walked to Canada, looked all around but did none of the boat rides. I was surprised that it wasnt as long of a drop. On TV and pictures it looks bigger than life. I stood at the walkway and thought, hum, its not that high up. But it was cool, kids were bored and really got nothing out of it. As far as the terrain, its slippery and the stairs would be difficult for someone challenged. BUt i'm sure there is some place for wheelchairs that would be more friendly... but may not take you to every place. But if i were going to do limited things there it would be crossing into canada and looking at it from over there. I did go into canada without ID, left my purse in the car. They let me in OK, but going back was difficult...It may be harder now. That was a short time after 2001, the team flew, i refused so we drove.

I always heard the best way to view Niagara Falls ..................was from inside a barrel. I just ain't that curious tho.

wlamarparmer":xdf7zkof said:
Looking for advice anyone in area or been there. ..........
She has movie scenario in her head of sitting in room seeing falls, from what I can find that ain't gonna
happen. Any advice and comments appreciated. Health issues have me somewhat mobility limited,
can do level ground w/o issue but hills and long stairs cause issue.
Thanks
Lamar

Never been there but here is my idea. Buy her a nice piece of jewelry .... another ring or a nice bracelet ..... and propose to her again somewhere near the falls. I suspect this might solve any walking issues or stair issues with your legs and it would give her that scenario she is looking for.

Probably right Jo. She has more Bling than will ever wear, and she teases me that "You are not disabled, just crippled". Cardiac issues, and lower back fracture, nerves just don't work well, can get there just give me time.
Both my cardiologist and GP suggest a disabled permit, I just refuse to give in. Once upright on level ground do fairly well, muscles for lift and descend just don't work very well. Why I asked on here, don't trust routine internet
reviews. Been thinking 'bout that re proposing, # 25, gotta figure that out !! Looks like Canadian side more her forte, she relishes lights, pomp, touristy, etc. Anniversary actually Oct 25, so will do earlier as neither of us do cold well.
Thanks and keep'em coming.
Suggestion for hotel Canada side be nice
Lamar

If you think it at all possible physically for you, other than a barrel as GB mentioned, Maid of the Mist was an excellent way to seethe falls. My wife enjoyed it thoroughly. Canadian side for sure for tourism and things to do. Américan side had a nice park and you could get pretty close to the water upstream. Be careful on the American side, as you do not have to stray far before you end up in some 'shady' areas.

I would stay on the Canadian side - much nicer looking hotels, area, safer etc. There's viewing area, gift shops etc all at top of the falls in flat area on Canadian side so being mobility limited would not be an issue.

If you have time I would try to go to Toronto for the day and take a sightseeing bus, go up the CN Tower, it's a neat city.

The US side is not nearly as good. I did not like either side but my wife loved it. The boat takes you so close to the falls it is almost scary. Again my wife loved it and I really didn't. Unless you already have your passport you had better get on it. I think it takes about 6 weeks to get one. They searched our truck from one end to the other when we went into Canada. We came back into the US at Detroit MI and they didn't hardly look at us.

Thanks, Kinda info I was looking for, looks like Canadian side early Sept. Wife took on new venture (Hunter/Jumper trainer) which fills her August calender. So will attempt to fulfill her wishes/desires. KT think
Maid of the Mist one her wants. Just gonna go enjoy, probably some OK, Whatever You Want,and yes that's great !!
Whole Idea Momma Be Happy.

If you want to stay on the US side and have an absolutely wonderful stay and your wife will love it more than staying at a run of the mill hotel on the Canadian side I recommend the Red Coach Inn. I've stayed there a couple of times at the Red Coach Inn (http://www.redcoach.com/) and is top notch amazing place and the women love it and more important-love you for it ;-) ;-) !! The hotel has a view of the rapids and has a nice walking trail along the rapids and its lit at night to get you right up to the US side of the Falls. Awesome and romantic view at night under lights. Even better in the winter time. Downside is you will have to walk or drive across the Rainbow Bridge to get to the Canadian side, but its right there and not much of a problem.

Now when you compare prices on-line, the Red Coach Inn might be more money up front but, when you reserve a hotel room on-line in Canada, it doesn't include all the wonderful Canadian taxes. US side has its share of taxes but, when you go pay for that hotel on the Canadian side you'll dang near pass out when they give you the actual bill.

If you're going to Niagara, make a trip of it and hop on over to the Finger Lakes. Pretty area, lots to see and do, wineries, museums etc. A nice driving tour. You won't get fall colors yet though.

rla442":c1qylf8w said:
If you want to stay on the US side and have an absolutely wonderful stay and your wife will love it more than staying at a run of the mill hotel on the Canadian side I recommend the Red Coach Inn. I've stayed there a couple of times at the Red Coach Inn (http://www.redcoach.com/) and is top notch amazing place and the women love it and more important-love you for it ;-) ;-) !! The hotel has a view of the rapids and has a nice walking trail along the rapids and its lit at night to get you right up to the US side of the Falls. Awesome and romantic view at night under lights. Even better in the winter time. Downside is you will have to walk or drive across the Rainbow Bridge to get to the Canadian side, but its right there and not much of a problem.

Now when you compare prices on-line, the Red Coach Inn might be more money up front but, when you reserve a hotel room on-line in Canada, it doesn't include all the wonderful Canadian taxes. US side has its share of taxes but, when you go pay for that hotel on the Canadian side you'll dang near pass out when they give you the actual bill.
I've always been dismayed, at the high (occupancy) tax rate on any kind of hotel/motel type lodging in Texas, and probably other places as well. The State occupancy tax rate is 6% here, and I know that City of Austin collects another 7% plus 2% for something called Venue Project tax. Houston is no better.
What is the hotel tax rate?
The state hotel tax rate is 6 percent.
Cities and some counties can each levy local hotel taxes, generally at rates varying up to 7 percent; sports and community venue projects can levy hotel taxes at rates varying up to 2 percent, except for Dallas County which can impose a hotel venue tax at a rate of up to 3 percent.
For example, in Houston there is 6 percent state tax, 7 percent Houston tax, 2 percent Harris County tax and 2 percent Harris County - Houston Sports Authority tax.

Latest posts