Newbie needs basic AI info

Help Support CattleToday:

cjhames

Reaction score
Howdy everyone, I don't really want to buy a bull to keep four mamas happy, so I've been thinking of buying straws and having them AI'd. Of course I know next to nothing about the subject. Our Vet says it's a dicey proposition, maybe 50% success rate, and seemed to advise against it.

Inot adverse to buying a bull and keeping him a few months to enjoy himself at our place and then selling him.

Some questions:

how many straws should I purchase?
how many will a vet need to do the job?
In your opinion and experience, should I drop a couple grand on a nice bull and then resell him?

Any other suggestions or sage advice? Many thanks!

Your location plays a big role in this. If you're near any dairy farms, there's a good chance there's an AI technician in your area that can help you out pretty easily. They will have the semen and sell it to you a straw at a time as needed. You just need to have a place to restrain the heifers and either synchronize or detect heats.

Buying a bull is risky. They tend not to have the same resale value after you use them, and if he gets hurt or sick you're on the hook for all of it.

We have a very small (3 cow) herd and no way to keep a bull secure enough, so we AI with a tech. 3 years, 5 of the 6 attempts successful 1st try, the time that took twice was on natural heat only. We can use a heifer bull for heifers and a different sire for cows without a big deal. We can choose different breeds by year or cow. I'm sold on it for our small needs. Average cost per head (tech mileage etc) is $85. Better than worrying about resale on a bull.

We have a very small (3 cow) herd and no way to keep a bull secure enough, so we AI with a tech. 3 years, 5 of the 6 attempts successful 1st try, the time that took twice was on natural heat only. We can use a heifer bull for heifers and a different sire for cows without a big deal. We can choose different breeds by year or cow. I'm sold on it for our small needs. Average cost per head (tech mileage etc) is $85. Better than worrying about resale on a bull.
What do you use to synchronize and detect?

When ordering straws for yourself they are usually sold in multiples of 10, and you will need a semen tank for storage. Those start at around $400 and require liquid nitrogen which will need to be added every 3 or 4 months at a cost of $35-$50. It would be better to find an AI tech in your area. They are usually more reasonable in price than a Veterinarian and should have more experience if that is all they do. They will probably have semen they can sell you by the individual straw when they come out to breed your cows. If you are able to watch them close enough to catch them in a natural heat, you might be able to find someone that will run out to your place multiple times, but that will add up fast in cost. Better to synchronize them so they can all be bred at the same time. Find an AI tech first and have them tell you everything you will need and and how to do the synchronization. The CIDRs, prostaglandin and GNRH should all be available through your Vet the AI tech may be able to help you get them. Your Vet is correct and it will likely take two or three times to get them all bred, but still a better option than keeping a bull around for that small number.

We've been able to mix/match in batches of 5 from Bovine Elite, AI tech stores for a yearly fee (less than $50). The first year, he offered boarding with natural detection, then we had a drought and that went away. We did buy a chute, which we needed anyway. I'm not certain which particular sync protocol he uses, he places the CIDRs, gives me the timing of removal and Gnrh injection, and we do timed AI based on the parameters. I learned how to do blood draws for preg check, which saves $120 travel fee. Check around for techs in your area

Howdy everyone, I don't really want to buy a bull to keep four mamas happy, so I've been thinking of buying straws and having them AI'd. Of course I know next to nothing about the subject. Our Vet says it's a dicey proposition, maybe 50% success rate, and seemed to advise against it.

Inot adverse to buying a bull and keeping him a few months to enjoy himself at our place and then selling him.

Some questions:

how many straws should I purchase?
how many will a vet need to do the job?
In your opinion and experience, should I drop a couple grand on a nice bull and then resell him?

Any other suggestions or sage advice? Many thanks!

Your vet says 50% success rate?? Keep away from that vet! I know of a medium sized Hereford operation that for more than 10 years never owned a bull and AI'd everything because they wanted to improve their herd as quickly as possible. One big thing I know - don't move the females around during the process. Keep them as stress free as possible.

The semen companies can help you when you want to get started.

To AI a cow, she needs to be restrained. Please have a chute, headgate, or some means to contain her.

Synchronize and timed AI, then a few days later put estrotect patches on them and see if they come back into heat. I wouldn't expect more than 60% success on each breeding, it's not all the person AIing it's semen quality also.

Based on your post, I would think AI is the best way to go. turning cows in with the neighbors' herd runs into more complications in my opinion. A good AI tech can advise you on what works best for him/her in your area. you should expect much better than a 50% conception rate that your vet thought. Good luck with your new adventures and have fun as you go.

I can't tell you how many people show up at my place looking for a bull after their illusions of going ai / bull free have been shattered. Perhaps your luck will be different.

Another option is to consider calving off season from those around you. This will let you lease a bull (or maybe even get one for free if you feed it). In my area, everyone spring calves so I went to fall and there are a million cheap bulls then. Meet up with someone to cost share a bull. They breed the first 8 weeks you get the next.

I have a small herd and I went all in on AI. I went to the classes and go trained. I bought a tank and have it filled and keep it on hand. I have been very happy with my decision. However, it does take more time and skill than opening the gate and turning the bull out. To AI, you will need to work with your cows more and run them through the chute more. You will have more time checking heats or giving shots or whatever depending on the method you use. You also need to learn more about a cows reproductive cycle and do a bit of studying. AI can be very rewarding and has many benefits, like using genetics from very expensive and proven bulls.

100% AI can be done, but be realistic. The advice to find an AI tech in your area is a great starting point.

Your vet says 50% success rate?? Keep away from that vet!
That's a harsh assessment of the Vet.
The guy only has 4 cows, 100% 75% 50% 25% 0% only 5 possible 1st service outcomes, he's a newbie and the vet has seen the facilities and the cows. 50% seems like the most likely outcome and I prefer realistic conservative opinion to blowing smoke and vet saying 75% no problem. On small sample size of A.I.ing
4 cows both 0% & 100% can be expected vs 75-100% natural service.

Last edited:
Angus 9259 has a good suggestion. I used a bull from the neighboring ranch until my herd was large enough to warrant purchasing a bull. You do risk your cows picking up an STD that way, but in my case the bulls were next door, and they were getting in on me anyway when the neighboring herd was PG. He calved February-March then and I calved in April-May. It worked out well at the time, and he bought all my calves because he knew the bulls that sired them. I actually bought my first few bulls from him also. We have fixed fences and done lots of cross fencing since then, so we no longer have bulls coming in on us. We also now calve at the same time, and we both remove bulls after 2 months, before they become a problem.

I've done nothing but AI on my small herd and usually have 80% or better results on the first go around. Bovine Elite has a catalog of great bulls to choose from. My AI Tech stores my canes for me at $12.00/year. To me, it's a no-brainer compared to investing/owning a bull.

Latest posts