New year new calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Kenany Farm":2ppg55d0 said:
Sorry for your loss, but it is good the cow has another one to raise.
Yeah, it can happen. Luckily her twin sister is very lively and strong.
Had one heifer born yesterday. 284days gestation, 98lbs. Very lovely heifer with nice shape, out of very easy calving cow. Will try to take photo tomorrow.

Not bad, but had better years. 10 cows calved so far, alive 4 heifers and 4 bulls. Lost 3 calves unfortunately. Over 30 calvings left until summer and 11 heifers fall calving. Gonna be interesting year.
Have another heifer born this morning. Out of 2nd calver. One cow is on 292nd day, another cow on 281st day and the most worrying is heifer on 287th day. Don't like heifers carrying calves for long. Also don't know what to expect from the new bull.

Finally one of the heifers has calved with the new Limo bull's calf. 294days gestation, 104lbs bull calf.

Earlier born two days old heifer. 98lbs.

Yesterday born bull calf. Today he weighed 106lbs.

lithuanian farmer":t4wzk4dq said:
Finally one of the heifers has calved with the new Limo bull's calf. 294days gestation, 104lbs bull calf.

Earlier born two days old heifer. 98lbs.

Yesterday born bull calf. Today he weighed 106lbs.

Nice. That one stayed in the oven and cooked overtime. :cboy:

Had a "little" heifer born yesterday. 115lbs out of a 2nd timer, 287days gestation. Pretty easy calving. Very possible replacement as she will be an impressive girl in the future. Not the best photos, but will try to get some better when will have more time.

I love calving season. We had a few smokey colored calves some years ago they are neat to look at, but to me you can't beat red just my personal preference :)

frieghttrain":1wuejmt1 said:
I love calving season. We had a few smokey colored calves some years ago they are neat to look at, but to me you can't beat red just my personal preference :)
I love calving season too. It's always interesting how the new calves will look. This new heifer will turn black later. Her dad is our earlier Limo bull, which adds more muscles to the calves, and her mom is sired by homebred AngusxCharx bull out of BBxdairy cow, so this heifer should be a good one. Cow's first calf is sired by the same bull and is a very good looking thick muscled young bull.
Yeah, probably the best calves we'd so far were red too. However had some good black ones too, but they had very little of Angus or even no at all. Roan calves are one of the top ones too, but have very few of them. Our BBx cows don't like having roan calves, unfortunately.

Had a short rest for ten days and now we're back to the calving. Had one heifer calf born yesterday and one bull calf born today. A couple other cows are due in a week or two too. However, the most busy time will start in march, because then will have calves from both bulls. Two heifers which had calves from a new bull were with him alone for some time and then later we brought him two heifers and some cows.

Here are photos of yesterday born heifer calf. She's out of 2nd calver, 285days gestation, probably ~75lbs birth weight. A tiny lively calf. Cow is sired by homebred AngusxCharx bull, out of Limoxdairy cow. Really like all daughters from that crossbred bull, because they all are very good tempered, good milkers and calving without any problems. Yearlier calved black cow is by the same bull.

Don't have any photos of today born bull calf yet. Maybe will have some later. He's out of Charxdairy cow, which last year calved in April, so only 10 months between calvings this time.

Almost half of the girls have calved already. 11 bulls and 7 heifers. Boys year, but not complaining.
The recent heifer calf. 3rd calf for the cow. She's the one which had 1st calf at 15months age. She's a small cow compared to others,maybe around 1200-1250lbs, but needed assistance only with the 1st calf. Now she calves without any help. 287days gestation, 93lbs birth weight.

Her 1st daughter is due in mid march to the new Limo bull. Had two calves from him so far, both out of heifers and both bull calves around 105lbs. The first cow incalf to him is due on 7th of march.

Already have a favorite heifer from young calves. She's only 2.5 weeks old, but showing exceptional shape. She has very wide front part. Tried to take a photo, which would show how wide she is, but she couldn't stand still. However in reality she's wider than photos show.

There are some more good calves, but either they slept or they would walk somewhere where I couldn't get a good shot.

frieghttrain":23vl7gk4 said:
X2 Reds :clap:

Today born calf. Out of 13 years old Limoxdairy cow. She never had a red Limox calf before, all black calves, some with abit of white, except red and white Simmentalx and one red heifer sired by AngusxCharx bull. Her black Limox daughter is 9 years old and all calves, except one sired by AngusxChar bull, were black, even her 7/8Limo calves are black. Good to see some changes! :)

Spring is slowly coming here... :roll:

Saturday born heifer from a 2nd calver. 288days gestation, 92lbs. We have checked the cow at ~9am, she was already nervous, keeping her tail up, belly was dropped down but no pushing yet. Checked her at 12.30pm and she was very calm, belly was smaller, she was very clean, not a single drop of blood on her, but no calf anywhere near. She actually was eating. Abit later came to look at other calves and saw that she was still calm, but looking at the small forest next to the pasture. After a couple minutes she started calling a calf abit. Then we were sure that she had a calf, but the calf went out from the pasture somewhere to hide. We've a lot of snow at the moment. Went to search for a little traveler and found her quite far inside the forest. Brought her back to the shed, but she still was wet and cold. Closed them both in the pen, but cow wasn't 100% sure if that's her calf and was kicking abit. Probably heifer went out soon after birth. After some time cow fully accepted heifer and now both are living warm in the shed where the calf can't run away from her dam. :)