New rancher, any help or advice?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bighead

Reaction score
I'm in Kentucky and like to get into the cattle business. I have no clue where to start. I like to get some black angus and that's about all I know as of now. I have the land for it and the set up just needing advice on how to start. Thanks

Bighead said:
I'm in Kentucky and like to get into the cattle business. I have no clue where to start. I like to get some black angus and that's about all I know as of now. I have the land for it and the set up just needing advice on how to start. Thanks

Which part of Kentucky? There are several Ky members on here that are very helpful.

:welcome: to the boards.
First advice - get your fencing and facilities in order BEFORE you buy cattle. Doesn't have to be expensive, but you need a way to SAFELY confine an animal in a headlock (not on the end of a rope). Cattle get sick, cattle get hurt, sometimes cattle need assistance in calving. Lots of reasons to need to be able to safely get your hands on them.

Ditto what Jeanne said. Go to your local sale barn & talk to the sellers and buyers; lot of wisdom, there. Make sure you establish a good relationship with a vet. Talk to your neighbors, hopefully find a mentor and offer to help them work their herd(s). Research. And yes, accept that expenses will (at least initially) exceed any profit.

Welcome!

Is it better to start out with a bred heifer and just buy high quality semen at least until I get the amount of heifers I want?

Definitely DO NOT start with bred heifers without some guidance! Search this forum and read, talk to your neighbors.

what they are saying is a bred short tooth solid cow is a good way to start. do not think all black cows are Angus. talk to the sale barn owner and tell him what you are looking for.

All good advice but if he has cleared land I'm gonna bet it's strip mined land. Very tough on Cattle if they weren't raised on it.
A trip to a stockyard would be an all day thing also.
But I will help any way I can. I buy cattle to the Pike Co line. Would buy there but don't know anyone that has cows there. I actually have never seen a cow there although I know there are some.

Have to agree with most all advice. DO NOT START with heifers if you are not experienced in cattle. You need to start with some older, experienced cows that know what to do, and will hopefully drop a calf with no "muss or fuss". Actually, why not start with some steers to feed out, say in the 6-700 lb range, that are weaned and eating grass and get them on pasture. Make sure that you really want to deal with things like possible pinkeye, some possible respiratory problems, feet or leg problems. All cattle are subject to these things on occasion. Jeanne is right about having somewhere to work them... a head catch where they cannot get away from you if they get sick or hurt and need a vet, or just shots or something. At least some feeders will not also have the complication of calving.
NOT trying to talk you out of it. But, get some experience in feeding, watching cattle to learn their habits and to see when they have a problem. And to make sure that you really want this. Some people really want to get into it and then find out that it is alot of work.....for little or no money. That is fact. Prices are not great, a calf at 500 lbs off a cow will barely pay for the cost of keeping that cow for the year. So you are working for little or no pay, you have to really like it.
Steers will be there and can be sold easier than a cow/calf pair usually. You also will not make much money, there is alot of manipulation by the big packing companies and it trickles down to the feeders too. But you can get some in early spring, run them on grass and sell in late fall if need be and not have to winter them or buy hay or feed through the cold winter months.

All cattle are subject to things like respiratory problems, feet problems, pinkeye has been rampant here in Va this year in our area.
I agree that maybe you really need to talk to Kenny Thomas. It sounds like he is close, he has been buying and selling and running all sorts of different types/ages/breeds and knows the ins and outs. Also has given some very good advise to many of us over the years. I think he would help you, steer you in the right direction, and not screw you over. A "newbie" or a "wanna be farmer" is a prime target for some dealers, and you won't know what you are getting because you just don't have the experience yet to know.
Maybe find someone close that you know, and get along with, and rent/lease or go into some sort of a partnership/apprentice thing so you can learn? Find someone that wants to rent and ask to have a few head of your own in the deal, labor in exchange for their feed/ and your gaining experience, or just plain out ask to work for/help out with the person renting in return for getting some experience, no pay but experience. Then you can get a feel for cattle and it is their dime you are learning on.....

Pike county topography does not favor Agriculture. Is your land on river bottoms or reclaimed surface coal mines?

I agree, get some steers, or if you really want to do cows, get experienced cows so at least one of you know what you're doing!.. Get a decent setup for working them, and don't get more than you can handle to start with

TennesseeTuxedo said:
https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php
That is their PR version. Here is the "rules" revised May 18, 2017.
" Phenotype. Cattle eligible for certification in Angus influence beef programs based on
phenotype (appearance) will have a main body that must be solid black1, with no other color
behind the shoulder, above the flanks, or breaking the midline behind the shoulders, excluding
the tail. Angus influence cattle may be either horned or polled. Carcasses of certified live
animals which display certain non-Angus characteristics (e.g., dairy conformation, Holsteins,
Brahman humps) will be excluded as specified in the carcass specifications for approved
programs."

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/AAALiveAnimalSpecification.pdf

they used to say must be 51% black hided.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php
That is their PR version. Here is the "rules" revised May 18, 2017.
" Phenotype. Cattle eligible for certification in Angus influence beef programs based on
phenotype (appearance) will have a main body that must be solid black1, with no other color
behind the shoulder, above the flanks, or breaking the midline behind the shoulders, excluding
the tail. Angus influence cattle may be either horned or polled. Carcasses of certified live
animals which display certain non-Angus characteristics (e.g., dairy conformation, Holsteins,
Brahman humps) will be excluded as specified in the carcass specifications for approved
programs."

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/AAALiveAnimalSpecification.pdf

they used to say must be 51% black hided.

Unless they don't have enough carcasses to fill demand and then a Hereford or any other breed will qualify!