New Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Mcp220

Reaction score
We are still a bit new to this (other than helping out on some farms), But we currently have four steers that are about 7 months old. We have the opportunity to pick up a couple of heifers, close to that same age, from someone we know and I am wondering if it is ok to put two heifers in with the four steers? The steers obviously aren't able to impregnate any of the heifers (I'm not that clueless 😄) but they are still a bit rambunctious. We just don't want to have any issues with all four steers going at the heifers constantly or causing any stress for them that is not necessary. I do apologize if this is a not so bright question! Just don't want to cause any issues for the girls for when we ARE ready to breed. Thank you in advance for any advice :)

Assuming they're all about the same size, so one group doesn't out-compete the other for feed, it should be fine.

By the way, if you don't like unsolicited advice stop reading now, but calving out heifers isn't something I recommend for people new to cattle. Getting started with cows that have already raised at least one calf is much less likely to result in a train wreck. Even if you can only get half as many, there's a good chance you'll be better off in the end.

Assuming they're all about the same size, so one group doesn't out-compete the other for feed, it should be fine.

By the way, if you don't like unsolicited advice stop reading now, but calving out heifers isn't something I recommend for people new to cattle. Getting started with cows that have already raised at least one calf is much less likely to result in a train wreck. Even if you can only get half as many, there's a good chance you'll be better off in the end.
Thank you! And any advice is greatly appreciated - My husband is definitely more familiar with the cattle - He has worked on cattle farms for years, but this is the first tome we are doing it on our own. So, little things here and there will pop up that he is unsure of or kind of just wants the confirmation he is correct. It's always a little different when it's your own! I will definitely mention to him your advice. Thanks again!

It is good that they are the same age and size. They may fight a little when they first get put together but that is normal as they need to establish a "pecking order." When the heifers start cycling, the steers will probably give them a lot of attention which will not stress them at all unless the steers are much bigger. It is nice to read a post about new comers starting out in the cattle business. Hope you enjoy the time you spend with your new adventure and good luck.

Just a quick update - The girls are doing well so far! They are a bit bigger than our boys and are definitely taking the lead, but so far everyone seems to be doing ok. I do wish the boys would fight back just a little because those heifers are pushy :rolleyes:, but it's all good! They are a couple months older (we had originally thought they were the same age) than the boys, so I'm sure that's why. Our boys are all bottle calves, too, so they are very docile and love to be loved on. The girls are a bit more timid when we are in with them for feeding and that, but not at all aggressive toward us. We will be moving them all over to our larger pasture tonight :)

Latest posts