New heifer (:

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
I bought her Saturday from a small rancher in my town she's 6 months my plan was keep her two months then sell her but as I keep looking at her i am starting to like her more and more and wanting to keep her as a momma cow. Wouldn't mind thoughts and opinions on what I should do or thoughts on how she looks. Pictures don't do her justice shes a brick house and stout girl.

She seems to be a solid little thing, if you got room for her I would keep her. What bulls do you have to put her to. I don't think you would do any harm with using an Angus bull.

Ken

wbvs58":3a5s408s said:
She seems to be a solid little thing, if you got room for her I would keep her. What bulls do you have to put her to. I don't think you would do any harm with using an Angus bull.

Ken
What age do you guys breed your heifers I know everyone's different

In most of the pictures, she is standing with her hind legs back. This is usually a sure sign of them being post legged. I didn't see a good shot of her to determine if she is. Post legged (IMO) is the worse structural problem. I would much rather have them a little sickle hocked vs post.
I breed my heifers at 14-16 months of age, shooting for 24 months old at calving.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3dy5sct5 said:
In most of the pictures, she is standing with her hind legs back. This is usually a sure sign of them being post legged. I didn't see a good shot of her to determine if she is. Post legged (IMO) is the worse structural problem. I would much rather have them a little sickle hocked vs post.
I breed my heifers at 14-16 months of age, shooting for 24 months old at calving.
Ok so if she was that would you sell her and when ? Not saying I will but just curious and trying to learn.

Personally, I would sell her. You don't want to propagate poor structure.
She looks good otherwise. Do you have a cattle person near you that can eye-ball her? Depends on what you want to achieve with your cattle. If you have a small farm and your cattle do not have to range far, it may never bother her. Definitely would not want a bull with post legs. Then generally break down from walking around on hind legs.

RanchMan90":17rxi6xx said:
I'd sell her as a feeder heifer. Then again I look at things from a financial standpoint.
What Age would you sell her at if you did that she's 6 months now and would you put her out on grass or feed her out with feed I'm new to this lol . I wanna make money as well as build a small herd

Get the best quality stock you can to start a herd.. Doesn't have to be fancy stuff, but look for long cow lines that have been problem free, calved on schedule, no prolapses, no bad feet, bad tempers, etc.. Don't have to start with heifers either, if you can get middle aged cows with good life left in them that might be a more affordable start.

Don't have much insight for when to sell her though.. Right now you probably have cheap food for her, if you have to feed hay in the winter, that's more expensive (though she won't be eating a ton at that age)

Nesikep":3avuc7at said:
Get the best quality stock you can to start a herd.. Doesn't have to be fancy stuff, but look for long cow lines that have been problem free, calved on schedule, no prolapses, no bad feet, bad tempers, etc.. Don't have to start with heifers either, if you can get middle aged cows with good life left in them that might be a more affordable start.

Don't have much insight for when to sell her though.. Right now you probably have cheap food for her, if you have to feed hay in the winter, that's more expensive (though she won't be eating a ton at that age)
I have 3 middle age cows as well one is calving this month and one has a heifer calf on her side but I wanted to get a younger calf see how she would do and if it wasn't good sell her in a couple months

Bfields30":1hustm91 said:
RanchMan90":1hustm91 said:
I'd sell her as a feeder heifer. Then again I look at things from a financial standpoint.
What Age would you sell her at if you did that she's 6 months now and would you put her out on grass or feed her out with feed I'm new to this lol . I wanna make money as well as build a small herd
Depends on what you gave for her and how much it costs to put on a lb? Hard to come out ahead buying 4 wts and selling as singles IMO

You can put weight on her out on pasture for the summer & sell in the fall - or you can grain feed her & finish her out for freezer beef. That would probably the best profit. It is usually pretty easy to find two people to buy a half. Just make sure you get her fat enough if you sell her for meat.
And, I'm not saying you shouldn't keep her. Looking at a picture can be extremely difficult to judge structure. It is just that when they stand with their hind legs back all the time, that is a really good indication that they are post legged. You might have caught her wrong.
How are you going to breed your little herd?

RanchMan90":2u27ak88 said:
Bfields30":2u27ak88 said:
RanchMan90":2u27ak88 said:
Depends on what you gave for her and how much it costs to put on a lb? Hard to come out ahead buying 4 wts and selling as singles IMO
I paid 600 for her ..

Jeanne - Simme Valley":38en7mxu said:
You can put weight on her out on pasture for the summer & sell in the fall - or you can grain feed her & finish her out for freezer beef. That would probably the best profit. It is usually pretty easy to find two people to buy a half. Just make sure you get her fat enough if you sell her for meat.
And, I'm not saying you shouldn't keep her. Looking at a picture can be extremely difficult to judge structure. It is just that when they stand with their hind legs back all the time, that is a really good indication that they are post legged. You might have caught her wrong.
debating on a Brangus bull or beefmaster not sure.

Bfields30":11q52ain said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":11q52ain said:
debating on a Brangus bull or beefmaster not sure.
could I keep her to fall on pasture as well as feed her and then maybe sell on craiglist or sale barn

Latest posts