Neighbor’s bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of sounds like you may be jumping the gun a bit. They've known about it for two days, give them a chance to deal with it. There are cattle that don't see their owners but twice a year, it doesn't mean they're mistreated.

And I'm not sure I understand why they couldn't load it on a trailer. If he walks on the ground why couldn't he walk on a trailer?

In 2018; Donald Trump signed the bill outlawing the slaughter of dogs and cats in the USA for food. Leading to great suffering of dogs and cats forced to live into the pain of old age instead of supplying much needed protein for the people. Such a waste.

Sort of sounds like you may be jumping the gun a bit. They've known about it for two days, give them a chance to deal with it. There are cattle that don't see their owners but twice a year, it doesn't mean they're mistreated.

And I'm not sure I understand why they couldn't load it on a trailer. If he walks on the ground why couldn't he walk on a trailer?
I think he would catch the drag leg when stepping up. Maybe not.

In 2018; Donald Trump signed the bill outlawing the slaughter of dogs and cats in the USA for food. Leading to great suffering of dogs and cats forced to live into the pain of old age instead of supplying much needed protein for the people. Such a waste.
There are a LOT of people who keep dogs and cats alive through horrible health a lot longer than they should. They do have a reasonably easy euthanasia option. No backhoe or buzzards needed

Camelface said "So the horse layed out dying by the road until a billboard got built??Just where in Texas did this happen."

Bastrop County Texas 2018. It took 3 days for the billboard to appear next to State Highyway 71. Sometimes social media does some good.

Concerning selling the bull - My husband once took a crippled bull to auction and got nothing for him, he went direct to the rendering plant. After the Mad cow thing any animal that could not walk up the kill chute brought nothing.

Last edited:
Camelface said "So the horse layed out dying by the road until a billboard got built??Just where in Texas did this happen."

Bastrop County Texas 2018. It took 3 days for the billboard to appear next to State Highyway 71. Sometimes social media does some good.

Concerning selling the bull - My husband once took a crippled bull to auction and got nothing for him, he went direct to the rendering plant. After the Mad cow thing any animal that could not walk up the kill chute brought nothing.
True. We have a local packer available who I understand takes from trailer to kill floor, and pays by rail weight. They would probably charge kill and disposal fee for a bull like this-one whole quarter would probably be condemned..I guess he can still walk enough to get about 100 feet on foot. Not sure the purpose of keeping him out there though. For the general public, not something they probably want to see. I know I had considered asking him to buy a feeder calf. That probably won't be the first person I would buy from, just because I see the "other side" a little too often.

:giggle::ROFLMAO::LOL: ROFLMAO! She said "Camelface"!!! OMG, my sides are hurting! LOL

There are a LOT of people who keep dogs and cats alive through horrible health a lot longer than they should. They do have a reasonably easy euthanasia option. No backhoe or buzzards needed
I agree. But why do we not have that option available for our elderly humans.
Lots of people out there suffering terrible and a bullets less than a dollar.
Seriously though.
I've taken many to the packer, I've shoot many, ground up a few of them. I also had a pricey brangus bull get his hoof broken off a few years ago. He laid out by my tank for days and we carried feed to him. Then he limped around for weeks more before healing up .sure glad nobody called the cops on me.

True. We have a local packer available who I understand takes from trailer to kill floor, and pays by rail weight. They would probably charge kill and disposal fee for a bull like this-one whole quarter would probably be condemned..I guess he can still walk enough to get about 100 feet on foot. Not sure the purpose of keeping him out there though. For the general public, not something they probably want to see. I know I had considered asking him to buy a feeder calf. That probably won't be the first person I would buy from, just because I see the "other side" a little too often.
That horse was not euthanized.it died of natural causes why the Facebook Karen's where still typing. They put the billboard up to "raise awareness" I guess that a horse had died where people could actually see it... 😂

Edit. Quoted wrong person.

Quoted wrong above sorry about that.
Not only was that horse not euthanized . Bcsd along with veterinarians and human society investigated that ranch. No mistreatment of animals was found.
Bastrop county sheriff released a statement saying no laws where broken it is the owners choice in such situations to euthanize or allow natural death. They, BCSD did issue trespass warrants for the fence climbing Karen's..... now you know.

Last edited:
Yes, a dog is like livestock and is the property of the owner. However, it is not the owner's right to mistreat it, torture it, beat it,. starve it, etc. IF I see it, I will get involved, at whatever level is needed to relieve the animal. But it WILL end, I guarantee it.
Remember the drone conversation?

That's real smart to post because now your neighbors know what to do with a sick. Just let Warren the euthanizer come take care of it. When you bond out you can pay restitution for your destruction of property... 😉
Turn about is fair play right... 😂

I'm different than the rest of you. I would call whoever and keep calling. That usually works.
Can you and your neighbor trade off calling?
I've reported quite a few through the years for inhumane treatment of animals and usually it's resolved satisfactorily. But it takes more than one call.
I am a rancher, not a town person so none can say I moved to the country from town.

Good luck to you and thank you for caring.
Could not agree more! Too many enablers for people who are cruel to animals. For whatever the reason, doesnt make it right. The one off incident is understandable but continued mis-treatment of animals is unacceptable.

I agree. But why do we not have that option available for our elderly humans.
Lots of people out there suffering terrible and a bullets less than a dollar.
Seriously though.
I've taken many to the packer, I've shoot many, ground up a few of them. I also had a pricey brangus bull get his hoof broken off a few years ago. He laid out by my tank for days and we carried feed to him. Then he limped around for weeks more before healing up .sure glad nobody called the cops on me.
Dislocated dragging leg is a bit different, wouldn't you agree? Maybe they think a $2000+ bull isn't worth wasting a bullet on, but why would you leave it in that condition for all the world to see and criticize? He brands every cow on his place, hauls calves straight to the sale at weaning. Owns businesses in town. Why get that attached to your name brand?

Last edited:
Dislocated dragging leg is a bit different, wouldn't you agree? Maybe they think a $2000+ bull isn't worth wasting a bullet on, but why would you leave it in that condition for all the world to see and criticize? He brands every cow on his place, hauls calves straight to the ale at weaning. Owns businesses in town. Why get that attached to your name brand?
Maybe he hasn't gotten to it yet. He sounds busy. Like Ken said, maybe give him a chance before you take to social media and law enforcement. A injured leg doesn't mean cruelty.
Edit. Reminds me years ago we had a red healer named cousin. I backed over her when she was pretty young.
She carried a hind leg that didn't work for ~ 13 years. Didn't slow here down to much. That's just a personal anecdote, you know just sayin.

Last edited:
We had a similar situation where I tried to help a neighbor by giving him some round bales for a couple of starving milk cows, and yes, I know they are naturally thinner! He than sold the bales for cash and left the cows starving. Lesson learned. Got the county sheriff's ear and within a couple of days he went to court and then got custody of the cows by court order. Sounds like your guys just don't want to do their job, you can access state laws to see what your state allows. Asked me to foster them..no problem. Gave my neighbor a couple of gallons of milk a week for the kids, but never gave him the cows back. End of their life span they were sent to the processor... BEST DAMN BEEF I EVER HAD! (and yes, I gave some beef to the neighbor so the kids wouldn't go hungry)

YOU are the one who has to live with your conscience and the consequences of you actions, so only you can decide what's right.

PS. Sounds like the rich guy has a lazy or less than knowledgeable foreman and trusts him far too much.

I see both sides of this.. I live next to an indian reserve chock full of feral horses, they're covered head to toe in wood ticks, theres not a blade of grass to be had for 5 months of the year (it's currently -10F and 5" of snow)... We have a drift fence so they don't come over here (thank god!)... We all know they're nobody's horses if they need to spend a buck to feed them, but shoot one or complain and the whole tribe will say you shot their beloved pet. One day the SPCA actually came to me and asked if I'd shoot them.. I said H#LL NO! That's YOUR job, go talk to the band, the Tribal police, etc

The other side of this is my buddy has a bunch of nosy neighbors and had animal control, Bylaw oficers, and SPCA called on him enough times that the officers knew they were nuisance call.. One was a cow that had frosted hooves as a calf, was hunchbacked, and a bit lame, but twice a year he had a hoof trimmer out to take care of her.. as well as a 35 year old horse that was thin, but he got fed mash every day

Here's the thing, if you say anything to the owners, any complaint (whether it was you or not) will be viewed as coming from you

An old gal (85?) near me over on the coast had a very very old horse (nearly 40). Deputy stopped by because people complained that she was starving it. She explained to the deputy how well she cared for the horse but it was extremely old. Several weeks later the deputy stopped again. This time she went into the house and came back with a picture of her, her late husband, and the horse when it was a 2 year old. She told the deputy that he might note that she looked better in that picture too. They moved the horse to where it couldn't be seen from the road. But the old gal couldn't watch it as close there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts