Nasty cold out.. took some pics of the heifers.

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
I was out heat checking this morning, dang it turned cold quick! Last night, it was 60 before dusk (VERY unusual here), but when the wind died down a cold front moved in and it dropped to 29 in just under an hour! WOW. Now there is a crust on the mud, and it is just down right miserable. I was able to get my phone out and snap a few pics of our yearling heifers, even though my fingers were about frozen....

This young lady (Dec) is a half blood, sired by Built Right out of a Cole Camp Angus cow. She is an embryo; we bought three and ended up with one bull and two heifers. I think she is the right kind for a SimAngus. I'm going to AI her to ACW Iron Hide, I think.
2pywai1.jpg

This is NOT a good pic, but I wanted to share. This is a December Cowboy Cut x Spring Velvet heifer. She is a horse! I still have another embryo in the tank to put in of this mating. I am still undecided on who to AI this one to. I'm thinking FEN Halftime.
9bjck2.jpg

This one is proof the first calf does not have to be a "throw away" calf. She is out of a first calf heifer (Wide Track), and her sire is Built Right (yes, I used a straw of Built Right on an AI). Talk about a moose!!! She will be shown next year! She is a December, and I'll bet already pushing 1000 pounds. I plan on AIing her to FEN Half Time.
2mcf32t.jpg

ezev7c.jpg

This is a June Shell Shocked. She is better than the picture, we are sure happy with her. We have a Feb Shell Shocked bull that looks really good too! We just weaned her last weekend.
9tdg92.jpg

This is the Feb bull, photo taken about a month ago.
32zizrn.jpg

They seem to have a ton of rib shape and spring! Clean, choke necks for a Simm also. That Feb bull, if he keeps going, will be shown at junior nationals in 2019 (KY). He is bred and owned for my son.

Anyway, I guess I need to scrape around the hay feeder in the heifer pen. That is a typical hay feeder, and it wastes more hay than the big green cone types that we have. The cows end up with almost no wasted hay with those, versus this one pictured above (you see the waste!).

I hate mud. Cows can be wasteful too when there aren't as many eating out of the hay rings. Calves are looking good. Are you selling those built rights?

The roan steer looks really good! He is on feed with the heifers, so just about 10 pounds a day and growing like he is on free feed! I am amazed at his size. I hope to bring that group in tomorrow to mark heifers for breeding, and weigh for yearling weights. The steer is just 11 months old!
The black built right half blood I will likely sell, or her flush sister (who just weaned a calf and has a white blaze). No need for two. We just purchased 40 more acres (taking us to 85), so I am no longer in a hurry to sell to keep our numbers down. I hated being in a position to HAVE TO sell cows I would love to keep!
Thanks for the kind comments. We work hard at keeping QUALITY not quantity.

I'd love to see a picture of that roam steer. Is that the steer that was gonna be the next legendary Simmi bull? ;)

The calve do look great, lot's of "capacity".
But I would consider 29 bordering on as warm as I want to see it until spring. It's been nearly 40 F the last couple of days and it isn't doing us any good.

Latest posts