My new best friend

Help Support CattleToday:

Deer just tangle up my hot wires here so badly I've given up on 110V fencers and just have a battery powered one right where I need it.. it's saved me a lot of aggravation doing it that way... If I ever go back to a mains powered fencer, I'm going to run HT instead of the weak 22ga steel we ran, that stuff was hopeless.

I have always wondered how deer even survive at all in the US, I guess you guys are a little less "gung ho" on it ?

Same one I have and it is a huge time saver. The next charger I get will be one of those stafix ones that has the remote that finds faults and also turns the charger off and on from anywhere along the fence line.

Nesikep said:
Deer just tangle up my hot wires here so badly I've given up on 110V fencers and just have a battery powered one right where I need it.. it's saved me a lot of aggravation doing it that way... If I ever go back to a mains powered fencer, I'm going to run HT instead of the weak 22ga steel we ran, that stuff was hopeless.

Mine is hot enough they have learned to stay out of it. During the rut is a different story for about a month.
Bucks jumping the fences tangle the top hot and barb.

sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
Mine is hot enough they have learned to stay out of it. During the rut is a different story for about a month.

What box are you running?

I am running two of the 12 volt
https://parmakusa.com/product/magnum-12uo/ With a marine deep cycle battery and a 100 watt solar panels on the home made models. They are hot hot. They consistently show 14k on the meter. I have a couple of the 6 volt solar units on lots.

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:

https://parmakusa.com/product/magnum-12uo/ With a marine deep cycle battery and a 100 watt solar panels on the home made models. They are hot hot. They consistently show 14k on the meter. I have a couple of the 6 volt solar units on lots.

14k, that would knock your teeth out! Bet it would kill covid too!! Do you run the two units on the same circuit? Most i can get is 8k here and having come between an earth and the hot wire i can tell you that is enough for me.

Caustic Burno said:
Nesikep said:

that was my problem, tangling the hot and barbed wires when they jump over, and when they're airborne they don't get shocked either.. they can't see that thin wire either so they don't even try to clear it.
I have a similar Parmak charger, I think it's just the Magnum 12.. I like it, been reliable

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:

I have a field I am working on and I have one of these Parmaks. But I don't have the solar panels. I have read that a deep cycle Marine battery will run it for about a month and then it needs to be recharged.

Redgully said:
Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:

14k, that would knock your teeth out! Bet it would kill covid too!! Do you run the two units on the same circuit? Most i can get is 8k here and having come between an earth and the hot wire i can tell you that is enough for me.

Only one unit per circuit of about a mile and half of wire.

Brute 23 said:
How does it work?

I think I runs off unicorn farts and recycled prefamulated amulite. Lmao!

It provides and amperage reading and a voltage reading. And has a handy lil arrow pointing you to the direction of the short.
In my instance it kept pointing the direction I was heading. Amperage draw was fairly consistent the entire length. Voltage kept getting less and less as I went. I had almost lost faith in the goofy lil device. The arrow finally quit pointing the way I was going. So I backtracked a lil bit and found the short. Easy peasy!

One thing I really liked was, it indicated voltage long after my 5 light tester quit showing a light. All the way to the cause of the problem and even after the problem area. It really is a handy lil thing.

Been having hell with hotwire and this drought. Figured it was just too DRY!!!

Well, the fence tester saved me a lot of time once again. My voltage was low throughout the fence. But amperage draw SEEMED normal. After a while ya kinda get used to what your fence draws.

I got to chasing stuff today and testing at various spots down the line. All of a sudden I've got a HUGE draw. Voltage dropping off the whole way.

Further investigation revealed a hog panel had come unstapled across an old gate opening and boop!, right onto the hotwire.

@Lee VanRoss I'll quit watering that lovely ground rod hoping to sprout leaves.

Back to normal, neighbors are gonna miss the calves mowing for them....

Latest posts