Much needed Moisture

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Much of Montana is getting some much needed moisture....Some areas have over 3 inch's.. We have 3/4ths of an inch and still coming down as either snow or rain... Predicted to get moisture thru much of the week...

Six cows left to calve- and I'd just as soon they wait a couple of days as its a little wet out... but at least they are out of the wind- and the temp is hanging around 34 degrees... But the big wet snowflakes keep falling....

Yard turning into a lake... Glad we got the last pairs hauled out on Saturday- as getting to the trailer now is a little greasy...

I better call John Deere and see if the part for my lawn mower tractor is in- as this grass is going to jump out of the ground when the sun comes out... Glad we got the new alfalfa fields seeded on Saturday...

Don't think the grandkids will be doing any playing on the swings today...

My noble calf checking steed needs some windshield wipers... I had to carry a towel with me and keep wiping the windshield clean...

We must have gotten some of the same system you did, minus the snow.. I'm working in a T shirt right now, we probably got about 1", with some thunder, around here it was rain up to 9000 ft though.. creeks are running high now, VERY early for runoff this year. We needed the moisture too, and I wouldn't mind if a little more came around, but I don't think that's going to happen

Except for the white, I'm hoping for a good deal of what you got.

dun":1xfzwb1p said:
Except for the white, I'm hoping for a good deal of what you got.

Me too!!!! Been very dry here. I've been waiting on rain since we have fertilized a few weeks ago.

wbvs58":2uq6ho7u said:
Seems funny seeing the snow on green grass.

Ken

It's April in Montana. Snow on green grass is a normal occurrence.

I remember going to a college rodeo in Bozeman in April. I had been to one the week before in central Oregon where it was hot. So the next weekend I only took a wind breaker to Bozeman. Big mistake, I like to froze my tail off behind the chutes. I believe OT was at that same rodeo.

Dave":23h2z7r5 said:
wbvs58":23h2z7r5 said:
Seems funny seeing the snow on green grass.

Ken

It's April in Montana. Snow on green grass is a normal occurrence.

I remember going to a college rodeo in Bozeman in April. I had been to one the week before in central Oregon where it was hot. So the next weekend I only took a wind breaker to Bozeman. Big mistake, I like to froze my tail off behind the chutes. I believe OT was at that same rodeo.

Yep- if you don't like the weather in Montana- just wait 10 minutes... On Friday it was 80 degrees and I was laying on the riverbank of the Milk River fishing- by Sunday the temp was in the 20's, it was snowing, and I was digging out my longjohns again.... There is a reason the oldtimers used to say you don't take off your longjohns until the 4th of July and put them back on by Labor Day.... ;-)

We are up to over 2" of moisture- and its still lightly raining... Almost everywhere in the region has 2-3 inches and its not supposed to clear up til the weekend at the earliest... For this area which averages about 11 inches of moisture a year, this is definitely a Godsend for the pastures and prairie hay...

Latest posts