Mostly Heifer calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a 12 year old cow, she never had a heifer in her life
One year, I started off with 8 heifers and 2 bulls... was sure I was going to be heavy on the heifers by the end of it, but the next 10 were 8 bulls and 2 heifers...
My oldest grandma cow had 16 calves, 11 of those were heifers

when I was AIing my dairy cows, I wanted a heifer calf from a bull that I really liked. I probably used 30 straws before giving up. not sure how many pregnancies I got, but a lot of bulls but not one heifer. My AI rep said no one else complained about all bull calves.

I talked to my neighbor yesterday and he said he had mostly bulls so far this year so I don't know. I do know our management is different. Mainly, he feeds hay all year round where i do mostly opposite. I guess I will see how it plays out with the remaining half of the cows but with the first half being all heifers continuing last years trend I'm not overly optimistic.

75 per cent heifers, both last year and this. I had the same thought about this telling us we need to replenish the herd.

I loaned my brother a bull, every calf was a heifer until the bull was sold last year, he has gotten a couple of bull calves on this last round.
We have 3 boys, my two brothers had all girls, five all together?

Sitting at 25 bulls and 19 heifers with 26 to go. They can all be bulls from this point on. I have plenty of replacement prospects and a sharp knife to make steers.

Does it seem like your herds are dropping one sex... and then have a sudden switch to the other? If you look back ten months or so, before breeding, was there any kind of noticeable change in forage and/or supplements/minerals?

Does it seem like your herds are dropping one sex... and then have a sudden switch to the other? If you look back ten months or so, before breeding, was there any kind of noticeable change in forage and/or supplements/minerals?
On the cows that stuck AI we had quite a few heifers at the beginning then more bull calves. We are in the first cycle post-AI now and still getting slightly more bulls than heifers.

On the cows that stuck AI we had quite a few heifers at the beginning then more bull calves. We are in the first cycle post-AI now and still getting slightly more bulls than heifers.
Was there a difference in forage and/or supplements/minerals just before breeding occurred, a month or so before breeding?