Mornign chore

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
This morning I told the wife I was going out to water my plants. I think I have a little different definition than most people when it comes to watering the plants. But grass is a plant I have have about 67 acres to water on a regular basis. My daily morning chore that started a couple weeks ago and runs until the end of September.
This is a small field ditch and pretty easy to change. The larger ones are a bit more of a chore to change.

P5163223.JPG

There are times I think it sure would be nice to have a pivot, but then I think of the cost to have it put in. I'm not sure that it would be worth it.

This morning I told the wife I was going out to water my plants. I think I have a little different definition than most people when it comes to watering the plants. But grass is a plant I have have about 67 acres to water on a regular basis. My daily morning chore that started a couple weeks ago and runs until the end of September.
This is a small field ditch and pretty easy to change. The larger ones are a bit more of a chore to change.

View attachment 44823
This is where I would take a book out with me and find a nice spot to commune with the world. And if the cows were around they learned to come park their calves next to me. I really enjoyed that...

Except for deer flies in the day and skeeters the rest of the time.
I never had much trouble with them. In Arkansas I couldn't do it because of the chiggers. And I could walk to the mailbox and come back with a hundred seed ticks on me... but in SD we just didn't have a lot of bugs.

There are times I think it sure would be nice to have a pivot, but then I think of the cost to have it put in. I'm not sure that it would be worth it.
Me too but odd shaped fields and the cost to install and operate, I come to my senses. Our water is real cheap and gravity works for free. So I change tarps most every morning. The big irrigation districts charge as much as $75 a acre for water and the ditch rider tells you when and how much water you are allowed. Here it is $7 an acre and take what you need with keeping the neighbors down stream in mind.

Me too but odd shaped fields and the cost to install and operate, I come to my senses. Our water is real cheap and gravity works for free. So I change tarps most every morning. The big irrigation districts charge as much as $75 a acre for water and the ditch rider tells you when and how much water you are allowed. Here it is $7 an acre and take what you need with keeping the neighbors down stream in mind.
I think our water cost us a little over $3000 per year for about 70 acres. We have all gated pipe; it sometimes is a pain because I need help to pick it up in fall and put it out in the spring. Then there is the struggle of leaves clogging up the holes. I'm planning on putting in a bubbler screen next year, that should help. The cost to run a pivot is another reason I don't have one. A neighbor tried to convince me that he got more hay because is water was more even across the field, and therefor that made it worth it to him. I'm not so sure you get that much more hay for the cost to run the pivot. It would help with those places where I have a bugger of a time getting water on. The water jumps the corrugates and does not come out where you want it to.

Latest posts