Minimum facility for AI

Help Support CattleToday:

bja105

Reaction score
I am new to cattle, we got our first two this time last year. We only have four head, who run with our three horses.

This summer, I have two cows to breed. If all else fails, I can use my neighbor's Jersey bull, but I would prefer to AI.

Currently we have no corral at all. If I need to gather cows, I walk out of the house with a bucket of feed. If I need to doctor one, I'm in trouble.

I want to fence in a new pasture for the cattle, separate from the horses and downwind of the house, and build a permanent carral there. Besides lots of fencing in rocky ground, I will need to develop a spring to water them. We barely have enough water as is, so something has to be done.
I might not get that done by July.

If I put up some panels in the existing pasture, can I make something cheap and quick? If it has to be a big deal, I'll put that work into the planned new pasture. If I can do it in a day for a few hundred bucks, great.
Any suggestions? Use small words, I'm new to this and don't have an expert to ask in the neighborhood.

Depending on the AI tech, the minmum would be a tree, a halter and a lead rope.

Ok, that minimum will work with one of the two, the other will take some work. You bring up a good point, I should be asking the AI tech this question, too.

What about the next step up from bare minimum?

Next step would be a narrow alleyway you can run them into. A corner that you can squeeze them with a gate or a corral panel will also work.

A section of head locks or home made stanchions will work well most of the time. Call them in, give them a little grain, and lock them up each time you are out to check them. They may get smart if they have too many bad experiences (like shots), but when it works it is quick and relatively inexpensive.

That working alley is more than I planned to spend, but I could move it to the permanent pasture,so it would be an expense used for years.

I think the swinging gate is more in the budget. I forgot that this was part of the plan when I built our run in shed! Three tube gates would do the trick. I could even lock the two cows in the shed for the week it would take, so I wouldn't have to catch them every time he needed to see them.

Since you only have two, and are not really set up for AI yet, I would consider finding them a bull to go visit this summer for a couple months...At least as a back-up plan.
We just started out a few years ago, also with 2. We too were scrambling to get set up for AI and 'doctoring.' We ended up running late with our equipment (and therefor AI), and consequently are still trying to push back from a July-Aug calving schedule. We now have 21 (along with a friend), but it will take us several years yet to get back to our desired April-May calving. We are pushing it back a few weeks each year.

I would figure out what time you want to have calves born; then take a look at the gestation table and work backwards to a "drop dead" date that, if you don't have them AI'd yet, they go a-visiting...

My :2cents: :2cents: . Good luck!

I would at the very least setup a small pen so you could load them up if need be, if you hunt around enough you can find somewhere that boards your cows for the whole 10 day process while they get AI'd.

I've looked into going to the vet to get this done. The biggest cost would be getting the straws shipped unless you can find some locally. Around here, it's $5/day cow care and $150 to get them stuck. If everything goes well, you're $200 into a calf. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than $3,500 for a set up.

Latest posts