Million Dollar Angus Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
My buddy has America Calves on the ground. If America was sold for 2.1 million , these calves should be with at least 1 Million each right ?

If they were on a certain ranch in North Dakota and had a certain prefix on their registration papers then they may be million dollar calves on a sale day. For the rest of us it's ok to dream. For what it's worth I hope that they do well for the owner.

They will be well fed that's for sure. I offered him $5,000 for a heifer once it's weaned. He passed.

Dang! 5k heifer that ain't even raised yet. Lol

Sure is nice to see some pictures of them. Thanks for posting them. I bet they are gonna be dandies!

Are any of those out of heifers?
How was the birthweight? Calve easily?

MurraysMutts said:
Dang! 5k heifer that ain't even raised yet. Lol

Sure is nice to see some pictures of them. Thanks for posting them. I bet they are gonna be dandies!

Are any of those out of heifers?

I was wondering that myself as I believe I recall someone saying they intended to breed him to some heifers. Another question I have and it isn't specifically about that bull's calves but would a bull calf that required assistance from a heifer still be marketed as a breeding bull?

Let me ask him. I know he bred heifers and I know he feeds them like Kings , all the feed can make a calf to big for a heifer at calving. Give me a few I will call him.

None out of heifers, didn't have to pull any. Kelly Schaff commented on his heifer on Instagram

That last calf looks awful straight on all 4 corners IMO. First calf looks ok.

Way to early to be hyping them up thats for sure. Hope they turn out well.

They all seem to have good bone and look like they will grow well and will with what Branded feeds them, but being able to achieve the money that he thinks they are worth will be questionable. Schaffs will achieve the money but others ????????????
Ken

MurraysMutts said:

On the FB thread he mentioned 100+ lb birthweights but that they calved with no problems from his large cows.

He might rethink that 5K heifer offer if the economy continues to tank.

I thought I had seen those pictures before. I really admire brook hills operation. He just likes poking the bear a little too much haha

Why would he take the trouble to weigh them at birth but not tag them? hmmm he might be using a visual scale.

5K for a heifer... if the cows are so good just make another one next year..

jscunn said:
Why would he take the trouble to weigh them at birth but not tag them? hmmm he might be using a visual scale.

5K for a heifer... if the cows are so good just make another one next year..

Haven't you heard? They make genetic progress so fast they cull the cows at 5 years because the daughters are all better than their dams!

Nice calves, but if you have to worry about cows the size of Branded's birthing 100 lb calves you have some serious calving ease issues.. Momma is a small cow, calf was ~120 lbs, unassisted, pictured at 3 days old

ALACOWMAN said:
Richnm said:
None out of heifers, didn't have to pull any. Kelly Schaff commented on his heifer on Instagram
Can't see why she wouldn't ..it's great PR for marketing...

I make it a point to talk badly about the cattle born from my genetics. :cboy:

Haven't you heard? They make genetic progress so fast they cull the cows at 5 years because the daughters are all better than their dams!

Three cups up side down on the table. One ball. Guess which one the ball is under. Oops, you lose, give me a dollar. Just another game in the deal where the slight of hand over rules common sense. Those 5 YO cows probably leave open. Just saying. Feed cannot fix it all.

TT,
He ends up touching them twice when he would only have to touch them once ? (weigh on day 1 and tag on day 30?, versus weigh and tag on day 1). I am too busy to deal with them twice, plus what happens if you need to get the cow up for a medical issue (foot rot, retained placenta, etc) makes no sense to me to do extra work.

Latest posts