Medicine Cabinet

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot Jack Bulls

Reaction score
There is the thread about antibiotics and drugs, but I thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone keeps in their injectable arsenal for bovine health, be it antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, vitamins, etc.

We use Draxxin, Nuflor, LA 300, B Complex....

I'm curious how the list changes based on geography. Will it affect it at all?

You might want to search this subject but it's all ways good to bump it with a new year coming. Where do you keep it all is another consideration!

Kingfisher":2rh6hjln said:
You might want to search this subject but it's all ways good to bump it with a new year coming. Where do you keep it all is another consideration!

I have a pretty good handle on the topic, it was more to generate conversation about what people prefer to have on hand....maybe too boring of a topic....grass growth seems to be more on target for the day..... :(

Stocker Steve":1mhhmaf4 said:
What benefits do you see from vitamin B ?
Mostly an immunity booster. For the goats, we need it because we keep them in paddocks. If goats can't browse, or there is Cocci-prevent in the feed, their vitamin B levels drop, and they can't absorb Thyamine, which leads to goat polio.

I'll take pictures of our supply room.
Off the top of my head, not that many different things, just a lot of it.
We use it all for one purpose or another, I might be missing something.
Have a pretty good inventory control system. Office ladies manage supply room and keep it stocked as per the manager who is staying on top of how much of what to buy when. A given ranches' cowboss will "buy" as per the manager or their own decision depending what it is, what they need for given ranch with a PO and we bill it within ourselves to the appropriate division.
Antibiotics/Therapeutics/Supplement/Etc.:
BioMycin 200
Draxxin
Baytril
Micotil
Banamine
Azium
Tetanus Toxoid
Norcalciphos
Multimin
BoSe
Selenium Boluses
Uterine Boluses
Scour Boluses
Probiotic paste
Vaccines/Repro Etc.:
UltraBac 8
BoviShield Gold 5
BoviShield Gold 5VL5
CattleMaster Gold 5L5
Lutalyse
Enforce 3
SolidBac Pinkeye Implant
Wormer:
Dectomax pour on
Dectomax Injectable
Long Range
Implants:
Synovex One
Synovex C
Synovex H
Tags:
Bayer Corathon fly tags
Bayer Cylence fly tags
1 piece feedlot tags numbered, with our ranch name and the contact number at office, various colors.
2 piece tags numbered, same layout as feedlot tags, various colors do different things.
Lots and lots of tagging guns, implant guns, bolus guns, hotshot batteries, needles, syringe guns, syringes, hotshots, calf paddles, horse meds, pour on guns, IV supplies, icepacks, ice chests, bottle heaters, bottle protective cases an all sorts of other random stuff an outfit needs.
Other than oxytetracycline we try to buy Zoetis everything anywhere it makes sense. We qualify for one of the upper tiers of their preferred pricing program and the discounts on Draxxin and other things are really impressive.
While Bayer has given us some pretty good promo things in their own right, the really good stuff like trips and outstanding tickets to really cool events etc. seem to come from Zoetis more so than the other companies, at least for us.
Year ago when I was young and just home from college, learning how to run a ranch really, I spent a ton of time streamlining our medicine inventory and supply chain management as well as making sure we were maximizing our savings in terms of pricing. Making sure we utilized timing, volume, rebates, seasonality etc. brought about a staggering savings across our operations. Our supply rooms and how they stay full have held a lot interest to me since.

Multi Min
Baytril
LA 200-300

We only have 60 to 80 head and it's very rare to have a sick animal around here. I'm really shocked at how many problems some folks have with they're cattle. I think a lot of folks are just looking for problems or something to do.

True Grit Farms":he1i0rlu said:
Multi Min
Baytril
LA 200-300

We only have 60 to 80 head and it's very rare to have a sick animal around here. I'm really shocked at how many problems some folks have with they're cattle. I think a lot of folks are just looking for problems or something to do.

I must not be livin right. I don't have many more head than you, and my medicine bag would sink a ship.

jedstivers":31nooawi said:
Triangle 5
Ocu-guard MB1
Prepose HM
Cavalry 9
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread ... 3#M5640933
Draxxion
Zapreivo
Restflor
Newflor
Exceede
Baytril
Advicion
A180
And of course some la300.

Also vitamin B and multimin
Lute
Ace
Banamine
And some others I can't remember.

Is the zapreivo, the one you mix, and treat like 3 head, but only last a short time once mixed?

Bio mycian 200
B12 (I use this for personal also)
Jumpstart
Dex
Banimine
Asprin boulus
Vira shield
Ultra bac 7
Tetunus toxoid
Ivomec inj
Drench wormer ( name escapes me)

I'm sure somthing I'm forgetting

Do you folks really have this much sickness in your herd or just being "prepared"?? I haven't used antibiotics on an animal in several years. I think I have a bottle of Lytalyse, cystorelin, Triangle 9 and wormer.

A stocker/feeder med cabinet will look a lot different than a cow/calf med cabinet. I keep la200, draxxin, dectomax, and multimin. And some prohibit for the sheep.

TexasBred":1utvq2xp said:
Do you folks really have this much sickness in your herd or just being "prepared"?? I haven't used antibiotics on an animal in several years. I think I have a bottle of Lytalyse, cystorelin, Triangle 9 and wormer.

My own cattle seldom get sick. The store bought kind need help sometimes.

Kinda like a gun. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Last Dr'ing I had to do was a cut foot abcess last fall and a mild case of joint ill on a dairy bottle calf this summer.

Some of the listed drugs are fairly expensive and you need to realise that there are expiry dates on antibiotic bottles; what are the chances of you using up that bottle before it goes bad?

In the regions where I have lived (dairy regions), large animal clinics are not that far away, so drug access is easy. Most producers keep on hand:

Penicillin G for wounds
Trimethoprim sulfa and oxytetracycline for mastitis and mild respiratory ailments
Nuflor or micotil for calves respiratory pbms
Banamine, dexamethasone and sometimes predef (isoflupredone)
Reproductive drugs

True Grit Farms":2x6yvvat said:
Multi Min
Baytril
LA 200-300

For a few years we were buying almost dead ones out of the barns.
Now just stocker calves.
Also used to get 500 stockers every fall from Alabama and they came from all over the southeast.
Now just buying stockers from sale barns in Mississippi.
Any of the above and you get to treat all sorts of stuff.

jedstivers":1z9faycy said:
True Grit Farms":1z9faycy said:
Multi Min
Baytril
LA 200-300

For a few years we were buying almost dead ones out of the barns.
Now just stocker calves.
Also used to get 500 stockers every fall from Alabama and they came from all over the southeast.
Now just buying stockers from sale barns in Mississippi.
Any of the above and you get to treat all sorts of stuff.

I agree 100% that's why I ask folks like you for info.

Latest posts