Meat Cutting Mess ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah, this is getting crazy. I use a small 2-man shop. I had made appointments back in April for 5 head in October. Well, I got 3 head done in October and didn't get the last two until about 3 weeks ago.
Butcher shop also processes deer, so he was shut down for most of Nov & Dec for beef.

bigger than they are now. I have 2 scheduled for this feb. 15 but booked back in march 2020. called the other day to book for next year and earliest i could get is April 2022. figure calf born now will be ready for second appointment. i have not asked what their prices are now.

Called to schedule some freezer beef for this summer. They are booked for 2021, but I got a couple spots for July and August of 2022.

My steers are 900 to 1000# now. How big will my steers be by then?
Lmao. 2000lbs? Now we don't have to just direct market meat we have to run meat shops too? Then promptly go broke when the pandemic ends and everyone goes back to the grocery store.

I suppose bringing in some one ton oxen will increase the meat cutting throughput.

Saw a couple of those last summer. Husband passed away and the widow kept feeding their two pet Holstein steers. Their heads touched the trailer roof.

I stopped by the meat shop on Tuesday. Asked for a date to get a hamburger cow butchered. They scheduled it for March 25th. So they are booked up for about 2 months.

My butcher is 6 weeks out to get a cow ground. 5 months out to get everything done to a steer. 4 months out on pigs

I got an appointment for two July 8, 2022, dropped two at the salebarn tonight I intended to butcher this summer.

I used to be able to get an appointment within 6-8 weeks, when Covid started it quickly became 6-8 months. The most popular places are a year out. Folks started hoarding kill dates like toilet paper. A local place that had been closed for a couple of years has just opened under new management, hopefully that will ease some of the burden.

The one we used has 3 slots left for November and 2 for December 2021. They are filled the rest of this year. They kill about 14 a week. They quit doing deer two years ago.
We reserved our 22 spots for this year last Sept. Glad we did, by November they were almost fully booked for 2021.

Called to schedule some freezer beef for this summer. They are booked for 2021, but I got a couple spots for July and August of 2022.

My steers are 900 to 1000# now. How big will my steers be by then?
They will be way too big for anything but burger in another 18 months. Try to get on a cancelation list, find another processor, or sell your steers and get you a couple of 500 pounders for your existing appointments. I am having the same problem with appointments here. The place I use is booked up into Spring 2022. I made my March 2022 appointments back in November.

Latest posts