Mature cows suddenly have no milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Cathy78

Reaction score
I'm in Virginia and we've had a royally wet year but cattle all were doing ok till I had a 6 yr old cow calf out normally on 10/29, I noticed on 10/31 that the heifer was looking drawn and was desperately searching for milk. Got them up and cow had very limited supply, vets were involved and we ended up tubing/bottling for about 2 weeks and then cow kicked on and has been raising calf. Just had 3 more cows in that herd calf out and 2 of them seem to have same issue. Cattle are all fat and well maintained.
Anyone else having issues or ever heard of anything?
Thanks!

We had a pony foal years ago with no milk. It was from feeding Fescue hay. Have your cows been eating Fescue?

We are seeing it in the fall calving cows too. Little to no milk. I think it has to do with the grass being so "washy" and not having enough bulk/fiber. But this wet year has been the pits to deal with. I do think that the fescue might have something to do with it also as it has been growing all fall and finally the cold/frost has stopped that. We are also seeing some more pnuemonia/snotty noses in the calves. I think some of that is just from all the wet/damp conditions.... It's been a hard fall for all the animals.

By the way :welcome: to CT. :tiphat: If you go into the beginners and look up "location" Jeanne has listed the way to get your location in your profile. That way when you post, people have an idea of your general area as sometimes different answers will pertain to certain areas. I am also in Va. :)

Thanks FarmerJan.
We (and vets) are assuming it's something with fescue as well. I made quite a bit of Timothy hay and I've been feeding that to the cows and making the horses eat the fescue hay (all older geldings so safe).
Fortunately I only have 3 more due soon and the rest won't calve till spring so hopefully not to many more issues. "Glad" someone else is having trouble, I've been racking my brain trying to figure what I've done wrong with this herd, the other group is all fine and my dads herd on another farm is ok.
So weird.
Merry Christmas! Sure hope we all get normal weather for the new year.

Latest posts