Managing weak-born calve

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
The following article was in Cow/Calf Weekly:
Weak-born calves can be caused by a number of different infectious and non-infectious conditions, with such conditions this spring most probably related to the physical condition of the cow, says Charles Stoltenow, North Dakota State University Extension DVM.

Writing in the Ohio Beef Cattle Letter, Stoltenow says the thinner the cow or heifer, the more likely the occurrence of weak calves. But, that's only the first hurdle. The second will be the immune status of the calf during the early days of its life.

"Neonatal calves depend on the cow for all physical and mental development prior to calving. All muscle tissue, nerve fibers and energy reserves present in the calf are dependent on the nutritional status of the cow. Cold weather and snow have significantly increased the protein and energy requirements of the cow," he says.

The best cure for weak calves is prevention. Cows and heifers in a good body condition score (BCS) of 5-6 have stronger calves than thin cows and heifers (BCS 3-4). Calves stand quicker and nurse sooner.

"Cows and heifers in good condition also produce more colostrum than cows and heifers in thin condition. For adequate production of muscle, nervous tissue, and energy reserves in the calves, cows and heifers need adequate protein and energy in their diet," Stoltenow says.

Whether or not a calf is born weak, all calves require colostrums soon after calving to have a fighting chance of survival. Colostrum, the first milk from the dam, is high in antibodies, which bolster the newborn's limited immune system.

A calf needs to consume 5-6% of its body weight within the first six hours of life and again before 12 hours of life, Stoltenow says. For an 80-lb. calf, that's 2 qts. of colostrum/feeding.

"This is important because the calf's digestive tract undergoes 'intestinal closure,'" Stoltenow says. "Specialized absorptive cells in the calf's gut are sloughed and the transport of antibodies from inside the gut to the circulatory system inside the calf is no longer possible. Since the calf can't produce its own antibodies until 4-6 weeks of age, it's totally dependent on antibodies derived from the colostrum for protection in its early life."

Before going into calving season, Stoltenow says producers should identify a source of colostrum in case it's needed. Colostrum can be stored by freezing, and can be obtained from late-term cows or heifers with stillborn calves, from heavy-producing cows (but make sure her calf receives adequate colostrum before taking any), or from some dairy farms. There are also colostrum supplements available from veterinarians and veterinary outlets that can provide substantial doses of antibodies to newborn calves, he says.

"Whatever the colostrum source, the same time constraints are in effect. The colostrum should be consumed within the first 6-12 hours of life of the calf. The key to assuring adequate colostrum for your calf crop is being prepared," Stoltenow says.
-- Ohio Beef Cattle Letter

But, I personnally would advise AGAINST getting colostrum from a dairy, unless it is certified free of Johnes Disease.

Had a calf about a week ago that would not stand. It tried and could not balance. Got momma to the chute and held the calf up to suck. It immediately went to town. After nursing the calf was able to motivate like normal. The cow was about a BCS 7 and had mineral free choice. Don't know why but sometimes crap happens.

novatech":24ptp0vw said:
Had a calf about a week ago that would not stand. It tried and could not balance. Got momma to the chute and held the calf up to suck. It immediately went to town. After nursing the calf was able to motivate like normal. The cow was about a BCS 7 and had mineral free choice. Don't know why but sometimes crap happens.

Could have been a result of a stressed labor.

I've had terrible luck with weak calves. I've rarely been able to bring one back from the brink. I've increasingly heard the research suggesting that INCREASING feed in late stage gestation is critical and that while increased feeding in late stage gestation DOES increase birthweight, it DOES NOT increase calving difficulties and DOES remarkably improve calf vigor.

angus9259":2qn7omn1 said:
I've had terrible luck with weak calves. I've rarely been able to bring one back from the brink. I've increasingly heard the research suggesting that INCREASING feed in late stage gestation is critical and that while increased feeding in late stage gestation DOES increase birthweight, it DOES NOT increase calving difficulties and DOES remarkably improve calf vigor.
That is correct. There has been plenty of research done to prove this. They say, that "at most" you may increase BW by 10#, but will have less dystocia, better colostrum & healthier calves. They have proven that thin cows will have more dystocia - partly due to lack of "energy".
Generally, "they" advise to keep your best hay for the last trimester.

Additionally, calves born to cows/heifers who've been maintained on a protein-deficient diet during the last trimester of the pregnancy are less able to generate body heat, get to their feet and nurse - and colostrum quality will probably have been adversely affected, as well - kinda starts 'em off behind the 8-ball, or with one foot in the grave, especially if it's cold, wet, or windy.

That is correct. There has been plenty of research done to prove this.

Jeanne, do you have any links to such research articles?
It's always been my gut feeling that feeding in late pregnancy is more important than worrying about the size of the calf, but I've come across the opposite view a few times - would like to think it was an out-dated notion, but apparently not.

I mentioned seeing an increase in stilllbirths to my vet last spring, and he said that was pretty typical of what was happening around the district and was due to inadequate nutrition (autumn drought and hence much less autumn-saved pasture available than normal). The way he described it the cow simply didn't have the energy for calving and the calf died as a result of delayed birth.
I couldn't say I saw any more weak calves than normal though.

hillsdown":35vvhrqn said:
novatech":35vvhrqn said:

This was her 3rd calf and was only 63 lbs. I think is more likely the cold stress as she was Brahman. Brahman calves are born with almost nothing covering the bone.

I knew when I posted that, I was sticking my foot in my mouth. For 21 years, I've been putting out a newsletter and I have printed tons of documentation about it - but - sorry, I'm not going to try to find them at this time. Shouldn't be "playing" on the computer as it is.
I know I have reprinted articles from "Cattle Today" but they don't have a "search" for their old articles.

novatech":xoinge9r said:
hillsdown":xoinge9r said:
novatech":xoinge9r said:

This was her 3rd calf and was only 63 lbs. I think is more likely the cold stress as she was Brahman. Brahman calves are born with almost nothing covering the bone.

And sometimes you get the dummy the downer no matter what you do, and all you can do is innoculate with a 22.
If you aint got them you can't loose them, If you got em you are going to loose some.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":36bx58bo said:
I knew when I posted that, I was sticking my foot in my mouth. For 21 years, I've been putting out a newsletter and I have printed tons of documentation about it - but - sorry, I'm not going to try to find them at this time. Shouldn't be "playing" on the computer as it is.
I know I have reprinted articles from "Cattle Today" but they don't have a "search" for their old articles.
OK - this came up in another thread ---- sooooo, I googled it.
Here's a pretty good article:
http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Cow-Calf-- ... oid=627173
Here's another - go to page 6
http://www.vet.ksu.edu/depts/VMTH/agpra ... MA%20224(1)%2042-48%202004%20PDF7.pdf

That's perfect Jeanne, thanks.
I only managed to look at the first, may try google myself if I can get the computer to behave. It's been nagging at me since I read this that I've come across the notion that underfeeding works more often than I immediately remembered.

Underfeeding NEVER saves $$$ - it's always costly. Not only need the proper VOLUME, but you need the proper nutritional value. Those heavy breds need the extra protein for healthy calves, cleaning properly, & breeding back quickly. All things that save $$$.
Also, a good mineral program goes hand in hand with proper nutrition & BCS.