Louisiana most pro-gun state

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryder

Reaction score
With just shy of 100 percent of the vote in, Amendment 2 was passing 1,237,596 or 74 percent to 428,906 or 26 percent in a state where gun rights have some of the greatest protections in the U.S.

"This is a truly historic day for Louisiana. We are sending a message to the rest of the nation of our strong support of the right to keep and bear arms," said state Sen. Neil Riser, R-Columbia, who championed the proposition in the Legislature.

Riser said the strong support is due to Louisiana residents seeing the federal government and other states "trending toward anti-gun laws."

The constitutional change — pushed by the National Rifle Association — would require "strict scrutiny" of any restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms. The legal standard would require courts, when asked, to determine whether the state's gun laws demonstrate "a compelling governmental interest" and are "narrowly defined." If not, they are to be thrown out as unconstitutional.

Louisiana becomes the first state with the "strict scrutiny" standard.

Just got back from there and La. is one fine state. And sure some nice looking cows in the marsh.

my only experience in Louisana is time I spent at Tigerland.....
and I did not see many of the local folk there....
but once when we had an auto breakdown in Colorado a Louisana fellow stopped and had the tools and stuff to get us going again and would not tak a dollar from us.
While I don't want to go back to the swamp and be in the hurricane belt I been wondering where I might go to enjoy decent weather and get away from the yankees that have apparently taken over my beloved Virginia.....
What is the northern half of Louisana like?
I have been to north Alabama but have never been in Mississippi...would welcome comments about them too.

I am 65 next year and am now seriously thinking of selling out and buying me a living quarters horse trailer and going to a better place and parking it where I could ride. have not told the wife about this yet. don't know how she would react.

pdfangus":vip5x9c0 said:
my only experience in Louisana is time I spent at Tigerland.....
and I did not see many of the local folk there....
but once when we had an auto breakdown in Colorado a Louisana fellow stopped and had the tools and stuff to get us going again and would not tak a dollar from us.
While I don't want to go back to the swamp and be in the hurricane belt I been wondering where I might go to enjoy decent weather and get away from the yankees that have apparently taken over my beloved Virginia.....
What is the northern half of Louisana like?
I have been to north Alabama but have never been in Mississippi...would welcome comments about them too.

I am 65 next year and am now seriously thinking of selling out and buying me a living quarters horse trailer and going to a better place and parking it where I could ride. have not told the wife about this yet. don't know how she would react.
North LA is like E AR.

pdfangus--I spent about 18 yrs in S. La and worked all over the state with the oil companies. North La is about like Arkansas or north east Texas--or was back when I lived there (my opinion). Still gonna be hot and pretty humid tho. I liked the area around Monroe better than down south.

A little off topic here, but if anyone ever gets the chance to see these folks--don't miss it.
http://www.wildhorseministries.com/index.html

I've seen him twice now and enjoyed the experience a lot.

hot and humid I can take....I can always go swimming....

my buddy keeps talking bout going to canada.....but told him this morning that I have been too cold in my life to ever want to go somewhere where I could freeze to death half the year.

Good people in N. La. Cities of Shreveport and Monroe with a lot of rural areas, pine forest as well.

I like Mississippi. Was in Jackson, Miss. a few months back an got lost because of road construction.
Had to stop 2 or 3 times to ask directions. People would go out of their way to help you.
in a lot of ways I think Mississippi has gotten a bad rap from the yankee media.
You need to make a trip down and see how you like it.

Ryder":cqukkriy said:
Good people in N. La. Cities of Shreveport and Monroe with a lot of rural areas, pine forest as well.

I like Mississippi. Was in Jackson, Miss. a few months back an got lost because of road construction.
Had to stop 2 or 3 times to ask directions. People would go out of their way to help you.
in a lot of ways I think Mississippi has gotten a bad rap from the yankee media.
You need to make a trip down and see how you like it.
Be very happy if it has. Keeps some of the riffraff out. I wish MO could get it, at least to californians

that is a danger....I know that if I move south I will be forever more referred to as that yankee come here.....but the Army of Virginia led by Generals Lee and Stuart and Jackson held em off at the Rappahannock River for four years.

Naw PDF--we refer to those who visit as "that yankee'.
Them that come and stay, we call 'dam yankee'--that's the diff between the 2--but you're from Virginia so you'll be fine and welcomed.

jedstivers":1vq8j7a0 said:
But Dun, didnt you come from CA to MO?
Yup, because we never fit in in california. Just like most californians don;t fit in here. I knew long before we moved here what to expect, and my expectaions have been met. Sometimes it still irritates me but I think back to before we came and realize that irritated very rarely beats the snot out of POed all the time.

dun":2rb3psws said:
jedstivers":2rb3psws said:
But Dun, didnt you come from CA to MO?
Yup, because we never fit in in california. Just like most californians don;t fit in here. I knew long before we moved here what to expect, and my expectaions have been met. Sometimes it still irritates me but I think back to before we came and realize that irritated very rarely beats the snot out of POed all the time.
Just had to give you a hard time.

I figured, but I didn;t want any of the calfirnians to get the wrong idea.

pdfangus":3q321jfl said:
that is a danger....I know that if I move south I will be forever more referred to as that yankee come here.....but the Army of Virginia led by Generals Lee and Stuart and Jackson held em off at the Rappahannock River for four years.
Virginia is full southern except for those damn Yankees that moved there. Not many states that still talk right either, only parts of these really. Ar, Ms, La, S.Ga, SC, and maybe some of Va. Forgot, part of Al. Damn Yankees have even ruint our dialect.

jedstivers":37cyde4j said:
pdfangus":37cyde4j said:
Virginia is full southern except for those be nice Yankees that moved there. Not many states that still talk right either, only parts of these really. Ar, Ms, La, S.Ga, SC, and maybe some of Va. Forgot, part of Al. be nice Yankees have even ruint our dialect.
You are right about the dialect and spelling as well.
I think that book The South Was Right talks about that. If not the book then maybe the author, Kennedy's, website.
Chrisy no doubt knows how to spell better than we do because it has been brain washed out of us.

well I can pick it up real quick....I don't have a southern accent ....but I have a Virginia dialect. But we have several variations in Virginia.....My wife is from southwest Virginia (Roanoke) and her dialect is much more southern than mine....but when I am around southern speaking folk it just comes naturally to me without sounding like I am forcing it....
have southern friends who have always teased us about the way we say mama.....I don't know how to spell the way we say it but it is more like Mumma. My speaking phrases identify me as country more than my accent....always loved to hear a pretty southern gal talk...unless she was mad....

Latest posts