Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":razu8qob said:
Ryan posted a black longhorn bull few years back, and photo shopped the horns off.. Good looking fleshy animal.. And ask what breed folks thought it was.. Not many could tell..

I know these are supposedly mainly LH's. I think they maybe Don Qouxiote bred. At least that is my impression.

elkwc":2t9uinvy said:
ALACOWMAN":2t9uinvy said:
Ryan posted a black longhorn bull few years back, and photo shopped the horns off.. Good looking fleshy animal.. And ask what breed folks thought it was.. Not many could tell..

I know these are supposedly mainly LH's. I think they maybe Don Qouxiote bred. At least that is my impression.
that line sounds familiar...

Big Cheese":2oyb2oek said:
Corriente's are a really good bred of cattle. If you like Longhorns but want majority solid color calves then you need to get Corriente cattle.
can you see much different in the size of the calf, between the Longhorn and Corriente when the cow was breed with same bull ,Char.. If I remember right you use a Char bull.

I was glad to hear you were back cheese. I added a few horns to my bunch. Bull hasn't payed em any mine.
Maybe he's scared, maybe thier bred. Idk...they are in with a char bull.

For what I payed I can cut their heads off , sell the skulls. Grind the cows into burger and triple my money...

TennesseeTuxedo":2rm5bhta said:
Big Cheese":2rm5bhta said:
Corriente's are a really good bred of cattle. If you like Longhorns but want majority solid color calves then you need to get Corriente cattle.

Hey Big Cheese, how ya been?

Glad to be back! I've been doing great TT what about yourself?

BRYANT":13kxiwhr said:
Big Cheese":13kxiwhr said:
can you see much different in the size of the calf, between the Longhorn and Corriente when the cow was breed with same bull ,Char.. If I remember right you use a Char bull.

Yes we use a Char bull. There isn't really any difference in the calves. They raise the calves just like Longhorns do but just more solid colors. There wasn't much difference in weight and size either. All they are are solid colored Longhorns in my opinion.

callmefence":2ki8fjei said:
I was glad to hear you were back cheese. I added a few horns to my bunch. Bull hasn't payed em any mine.
Maybe he's scared, maybe thier bred. Idk...they are in with a char bull.

For what I payed I can cut their heads off , sell the skulls. Grind the cows into burger and triple my money...

I'll be honest...if you have a good Longhorn cow with a good Char bull then you can't hardly beat that. You know for a fact they are going to have a calf every 12 months or earlier and they are going to always have zero calving problems and health problems and raise a huge calf every year. That's hard to beat in my opinion but I'm sure people disagree with me lol.

Big Cheese":at6zmap9 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":at6zmap9 said:
Big Cheese":at6zmap9 said:

Hey Big Cheese, how ya been?

Glad to be back! I've been doing great TT what about yourself?

All is well my young friend.

I don't have any new pics to show. We had a drought last summer which led to a rough winter this past winter with not enough hay so our cows are thin at this point so I don't want to show off any of them lol. But our calves are coming along pretty well so far. Had a really good crop out of our half breed cows in November and had a few we are going to sell in a month or so but the ones we sold in November did really well. We bred a black angus bull to some of our half breeds and they didn't grow as well as the ones that went back with a Charolais. The black angus crosses are the ones we are selling in a month so we will see how that goes.

Big Cheese said:
Thread has been quite for over a year....man this used to be an exciting thread lol what happened to everybody!

Good to see you back on. My brother is still ding the LH thing and is doing very well with Beefmaster X LH freezer beef.

This thread is a pretty good reference on the possibilities of Longhorns.

Big Cheese said:
I don't have any new pics to show. We had a drought last summer which led to a rough winter this past winter with not enough hay so our cows are thin at this point so I don't want to show off any of them lol. But our calves are coming along pretty well so far. Had a really good crop out of our half breed cows in November and had a few we are going to sell in a month or so but the ones we sold in November did really well. We bred a black angus bull to some of our half breeds and they didn't grow as well as the ones that went back with a Charolais. The black angus crosses are the ones we are selling in a month so we will see how that goes.
Chars will make almost all crossbreds really grow off. Good to see you back BC!

Its good to be back guys. I got to get back in the habit of checking this everyday lol. Hope everybody's cows are doing well after a pretty rough Winter nation wide.

Big cheese I have been breeding longhorns and crosses since 1981. I have found that red takes the chrome off of anything the best, char works due to being red based with a dilution. Red is the easiest color to breed true in any animal as it is recessive. Recessive genes are always easiest to breed uniform. We use red Angus lh cross or Hereford lh cross then come back with red gelbvieh or red simmi bulls. I like British cross females and continental terminals the best. We average 550 at 7-8 months across the board, steers and heifers, biggest being in 675 range with smallest late heifers usually hitting above 500. On a 60-75 day calving season. I have enjoyed this thread thoroughly and thought I would share my experience. Our f-2 calves never have chrome. F1 rarely do, but we also have nearly all solid red longhorns due to breeding for them since 81 and use only the most red with least white herefords or solid red Angus. I think long term you will find British cross females will serve you better with a terminal bull over them. My crosses cost me $160- 190 per year per cow so at prices I sold this year I have a profit of $ 560 per calf.

Latest posts