LGD Discussion

Help Support CattleToday:

We are kind of on the outside of the popular thinking on spaying and neutering dogs. We aren't really fond of having that done. I understand why some people would, but doesn't appeal to us.
I think in terms of Pyrenees it's just their nature to roam and will do it anyways intact or not.

Yet male police K9s and military dogs are never neutered. Although the bitches are spayed. I guess it's because they come into heat twice a year and are out of commission for a few weeks.
Police and military dogs are considered reliable off leash and are still never left off leash or uncontained if there isn't an authorized handler around. Females would attract unwanted attention and be unworkable when in season if they were left intact.

I have always kept ranch dogs that are bitches and never spayed any on them. Never had any unwanted puppies either. Used to when people let their dogs roam the streets and neighborhoods many dogs would show up in courtship mode. But now that most people have their dogs neutered none have showed up to visit my intact bitches in many years. I prefer bitches for many reasons. One is they are very protective of home and family. Another they are not obsessed with raising their leg on things. Its like having a stallion. They will work for you but their mind is always on something else. I prefer mares :)

main-qimg-96af47c82151f0d6de1a7196fe077b94
I remember this story…amazing dog. Not sure mine could do what he did.

We watched our LGD "work" four coyotes one morning. Saw the one initially, she engaged (meaning ran at it) as it moved closer vs further away to her communications. She moved it east easily then a 2nd one came from southerly behind. She had to sense it and turned right into it swung up in an "S" as they nearly met at her head on charge. She took the high land. 1st one decided to tail back as she positioned the two together. Then a third one came from south. I was quite concerned, husband left for his gun, but she regrouped, almost assessing the situation. She let them make a semi circle as they were coming right for her. She ran right at them, charging them dead on, starting with the most easterly one turning into the three, veering back on the hill, regrouped as the fourth one made an appearance from south. She charged them again head on, turning into them then back to her hillside, pushing them together. They moved off and decided to not bother further. As soon as she had the four on the move she trailed them to her south boundary. She had the works gone by the time husband returned with his gun. She returned to her herd happy as punch and her cows all at the gates watching and almost cheering. If they could high five her it would have been a hockey bench skate by clearing! Her human family certainly gave her a lot of loves that day! So proud.

No fear or hesitation and no turning away right at them full throttle, never giving them her tail, making and moving in wide "S" like shapes and always getting her highest vantage, knowing her landscape. She is smaller than Casper I am certain. She can easily outstride a coyote.

Gentle as lambs with their herds but fierce a tigers when they mean business. I have to say I was impressed. Nervous but impressed…she knows her job and her instincts clearly know "battle position". I sometimes think the coyotes are like "this is no domestic dog", she confuses them. I think she also changes the mood of the cattle where the coyotes also are more intimidated. When she defends the herd they line up to defend her. It is interesting how LGDs work! This experience was interesting to witness.

I pray she never has to put herself in a situation like Casper - life or death but I know in my heart which decision she will make if she has to. And truly this is her life bread, it is what she loves to do! To coddle her or take that job from her would be terrible, she lives to defend, protect and nurture.

Latest posts