let me introduce myself

Help Support CattleToday:

tapeworm

Reaction score
Just wanted all my old friends here to see my new avaiater..if caustic burro can have a picture of hisself so can i. LOL Looking forward to seeing more of you folks

tapeworm":xwd2z3wx said:
Just wanted all my old friends here to see my new avaiater..if caustic burro can have a picture of hisself so can i. LOL Looking forward to seeing more of you folks

Self portrait? ;-)

Looks to be so!

;-)

Rainman, do you have a larger version of what's on your avatar? It gets me every time. What is going on?

:lol:

Reminds me of the avatar ollie had awhile back. What is it with the pictures of *ahem* rears? :lol:

i love this pic to very much.an i remember the pic that ollie used.ive seen some funny pics since ive been here.scott

ive always thought rainmans avatar was a santa claus stuck in a chimney...? :santa:

I've seen Rainman's avatar in person! It's a guy on the top of a tall pole at the logger's show doing a headstand- Saw that at the King County Fair-- I was with my daughter at the chicken barn- she shows 4-h, got Reserve in Show this year... 8) Rainman is that a picture of you? :)
Susie

HatCreekFan/Susie:

Topping Tree's/Pole Climbing/Rigging Spar Tree...a number of names for it. I did mine in the woods, just rigged spar trees/tending hook. No that's not me. It's a picture from a bad gene pool of mine. :oops: He would go up an put on a show, come down, get all the laughs. Then I would go up and do the work (bull block, haul back, hay wire, etc... That one was 148'. Never had the knack for taking the spurs out of the tree back then, unless free falling counts, just use lifts and ladders these days.

Beefy....your funny. :p

tapeworm":2jxfqofa said:

Tape you and I plus several others resemble that picture.

Rainman is talking about high lead logging. Most of what he said was about the way they use to do it but there are a few people left who know how to do it the old way. I have been up the pass line a few times to swing the blocks. I never did get comfortable 100 plus feet above the ground with just the spurs and that little rope holding me there. But I always did like the look on someones face when they asked what you did for a living and you answered that you were a hooker. Or even better if you said you pimped for a hooker. Slightly different definations in the woods than the general public has.
Dave

well, now my interest is piqued. What is 'swinging the blocks'? I can picture the spurs & rope- I've got a neighbor that works for the elec. company, and he's shown me those... Could you explain a little more for the ground dwellers?

Dave:

Developed a twitch from the chain rattle going through the pass block. Have never got over it.

Funny...you always start as a pimp and worked your way up to a hooker :shock:

Beefy:
You know what you call a hooker that falls down on the dance floor???? Hoe Down..... :D YeeHaw

HatCreekFan:

Speaking only on spar trees, we would find a tall straight tree in the vicinity, if one wasn't available where we were logging, cut it down and stand it up in a new location with a pass block and line rigged to the top of the tree. We used what are called buckle and top guys to hold the tree in position. Once in position, we were then be pulled to the top of the tree with the pass line, which is connected to the yarder (logging equipment). Once at the top of the tree, the bull and haul back blocks where sent up via the pass line and rigged into the tree. The haywire is then brought of the tree and thru bull block and back down to the yarder and attached to the main line.......boring you yet? Anyway...blahblahblah...the hook tender, pimp, riggin slinger and choker setters are now ready to go logging.

Trying not to go on foreever, but after a while the rigging in the top of the tree needs to be turned, in order to allow logging in a different direction. At this time you would go over to the pass line, rig a chain into it, slip it around your legs, and the yarder operator would take you to the top of the tree. You signaled him when to stop, or he would pull the chain and you right through the pass block at the top of the tree... ;-) Yarder operator always got my full attention each change. Once at the top you turned the blocks. Back to logging.

I'm leaving out a lot intentionally, would do better with a cold one in my hand talking about all the intricacies of high lead, slack line and triple drum logging. Haven't done it in a number of years, but still keep in touch with the new methods. Hope this helps. Back to cattle. CW

Tape, I like your new avatar as well as any other avatar you might have used in the past or might use in the future. What I like the most are your postings, which I would like to see more of. Breaks up some of the glad-handing and back slapping that goes on here.

Rainman,
Yes, that sound of the chain going through the block does give one a warm fuzzy feeling.... or was that a warm wet feeling in ones pants. I worked with more than one yarder engineer that was less than trustworthy. One of the reasons I got out of the riggin and went to that ever so safe job of falling. At least there I could run for my life when something went wrong and if you got killed you generally did it to yourself.
Memories. But back to cattle.
Dave

Latest posts