Let’s talk Brahmans

Help Support CattleToday:

T & B farms

Reaction score
I'm kicking around the idea of introducing some Brahman to one of my herds. The herd I would try it on is high percentage angus, a few balancers mixed in.
I'd like to try 10 straws of female sexed semen, I would use them on what I consider my best cows.
I know almost nothing about them, other than they are known for bad temperaments and udders. Both big concerns for me.

My questions

When bred to a homozygous black cow, what can I expect the calves to be colored? I'm looking at gray Brahman bulls.

Second: How much ear would a 1/4 blood have? I would breed these f1 cows to angus or gelbvieh bulls to create a 1/4 blood calf.
Steers are docked for to much sheath and ear here, but the heifers are like gold.

I have looked into brangus, but I want to make sure they have enough Brahman influence to get the hardiness and heat tolerance

Third: Can I find a bull that wont ruin my udders or make the calves crazy?

Fourth: any recommendations on bulls? Like I said, I would like for it to be sexed semen. I don't want a bunch of 1/2 blood steers.
ST genetics look to have several.

Any recommendations/ suggestions are much appreciated.

I don't think temperament is a big issue. My experience with brahmans is yes they can be a bit wild if unhandled but once used to being fed and handled a bit become very docile. I've never noticed much problem with their udders.

Ken

Brimmers don't play cowboy well!
You lead them not drive them, their like elephants they never forget mistreatment. They know who owns them and will follow you anywhere.

1) You will get black calves from a black cow.
2) This is a 1/4 Brahman heifer

3) There are many bulls that produce good udders and teats/docile calves. Feet and fertility are Brahman issues. The terrible udders you see are from the Indu Brasil and pure Gyr.

JWBrahman said:
1) You will get black calves from a black cow.
2) This is a 1/4 Brahman heifer

3) There are many bulls that produce good udders and teats/docile calves. Feet and fertility are Brahman issues. The terrible udders you see are from the Indu Brasil and pure Gyr.

I really like that heifer. Thank you for sharing. I didn't expect a 1/4 blood to look that Brahman. A steer like that would take a big dock.
Maybe I need my cows to be 1/4 Brahman, so their calves would only be 1/8th.

Will a Brahman bull add frame to my 1200-1300 lb cows?

Latest posts