Leather Boot protection

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
My daughter got me a pair of Cabela's leather boots for Christmas that I am wearing for good boots, not work boots. She got me a can of spray-on silicone protector. Has anyone here used that before? I have not. Should i go ahead and treat the boots with it? My concert is, they don't currently need any mink oil or polish, but a protector from water would be good. If I apply this silicone now, will it hinder the polishing or mink oil process if i decide to use it down the road?

I quit taking care of the leather on my leather boots years ago. The reason being was that the sole would weaken before the leather had time time to dry rot. My fine leather gets neats foot oil. It what I put on boots back when I cared. I've got some reigns that have been in service for 10 years, and look new.

I've been using Kiwi Camp Dry for years. Never noticed any negatives. The leather absorbes it and then appears dry. Don;t see why you couldn;t polish over it

dun":2xvdw00c said:
I've been using Kiwi Camp Dry for years. Never noticed any negatives. The leather absorbes it and then appears dry. Don;t see why you couldn;t polish over it

I kill a possum and render the fat and treat the boots with it turns at great.

hurleyjd":1rw8iog6 said:
dun":1rw8iog6 said:

I kill a possum and render the fat and treat the boots with it turns at great.
Wandering hounds ever try to tree you?

Bigfoot":1n2fcdmj said:
I quit taking care of the leather on my leather boots years ago. The reason being was that the sole would weaken before the leather had time time to dry rot. My fine leather gets neats foot oil. It what I put on boots back when I cared. I've got some reigns that have been in service for 10 years, and look new.
From what you've mentioned in the past, it takes a 55 gal drum for your boots doesn't it?

All I ever use any more is Fiebings saddle soap and some polish called 'Meltonian' ----best polish I ever used.
Used to use only Kiwi, but no more.

greybeard":3s8gkdal said:
Bigfoot":3s8gkdal said:
From what you've mentioned in the past, it takes a 55 gal drum for your boots doesn't it?

All I ever use any more is Fiebings saddle soap and some polish called 'Meltonian' ----best polish I ever used.
Used to use only Kiwi, but no more.

They don't call him Bigfoot for nothing :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Ok, so I will start an experiment. I need to get some Kiwi Camp dry, foot oil, possum fat, Bear Grease, Fiebings saddle soap, Meltonian polish, and the silicone that I asked about and try them all. It will probably take several months to fully conduct the experiment of which works best, but I'll get back with results around August.

dun":1y6t4d00 said:
You forgot mink oil

I used to use that stuff, long ago. Haven't seen much of it in recent years, in fact, there probably aren't as many mink farms around much either.

Anyhow, herofan------I have used many of the products listed and had good results with most of them.

dun":3t5s86mq said:
You forgot mink oil

I was told by a redwing rep that mink oil is not great for footwear. Said it rots out stitching and it is best to use tack oil (neatsfoot). I've never had mink oil cause any damage I'm aware of, but it is just as easy for me to paint on some neatsfoot when I'm in the barn, so that is what I do now. :2cents:

Bigfoot":2tdz0mh0 said:
You forgot neats foot oil......it's the best :tiphat:
Which makes me wonder. How do you get the oil out of a "neats" foot?

I'm probably wrong cause I usually am. I believe if the stitches are synthetic, that your ok. I know my tack is synthetic.

All I know is I have repaired a pile of tack over the years and it was cause of using only neat. I use it sparingly on leather only. And a mix of mink neat , I never saturate the stitching on anything. I prefer using a conditioner based product as it won't darken the leather as much.

Latest posts