Lease the Farm for Deer & Turkey Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

I like my hunters enough, I am willing to keep them no matter what. I frequently get calls with higher offers. I put it on some bow hunting sight back years ago, and I am still getting calls about leasing it.

Bigfoot what most don't get here in Texas demographics for deer hunters is rapidly changing. Our population has doubled and hunting license sales have been the same since the 70's.
The hunter is aging out in Texas our population is becoming more urbanization every year. This segment doesn't want to go hunting every off moment. They want to get their deer and move on to the next activity.
Societal change and expense is rapidly making the hunter go the way of the dinosaur.

Caustic Burno":1z799s0c said:
For that price you could hunt Muye Grandes along with birds and hogs in Texas all year long. They would even throw in a Mescun to pack and process your game.

Kinda what I was thinking!!! For 5000, you could have one helluva year round lease in Texas!!!! As a matter of fact, ive never even considered leasing any of our land because it is a family deal but for 5000 for a week, I could be persuaded!!! :cowboy: :cowboy:

red angus 2010":2hq7xbvh said:
We were thinking of starting out with our two shotgun seasons which are only for a few days each. Allowing one hunter and/or hunter and one family member on about thirty acres to themselves. Pricing at about $5,000 for each season. We are in a county in Southern Illinois known for its deer.
And people will pay that to hunt 30 acres?? Mercy I'd rather just buy it.

crop hail":2kwjct5t said:
Caustic Burno":2kwjct5t said:
For that price you could hunt Muye Grandes along with birds and hogs in Texas all year long. They would even throw in a Mescun to pack and process your game.

Kinda what I was thinking!!! For 5000, you could have one helluva year round lease in Texas!!!! As a matter of fact, ive never even considered leasing any of our land because it is a family deal but for 5000 for a week, I could be persuaded!!! :cowboy: :cowboy:

You can get down in Webb or Laselle county for that kind of money.
Landowners are slowly pricing themselves out of the most lucrative product on their land.
I see very little demand in a couple more generations the TPWD has contributed to this as well. The mentality has changed from deer hunting to trophy hunting all driven by two PAC's that controll the appointed commissioners.

Caustic Burno":3dmdzg4v said:
callmefence":3dmdzg4v said:
Caustic Burno":3dmdzg4v said:

Idk bought that. I can get 5000.00 for a year round lease on 200 acres of low fence hill country. Without even hardly trying.

You can book a guaranteed trophy hunt including a doe, hog and lodging for half that.
That is where a fool and his money have parted.
http://www.karankawa.com/hunting-prices/

Texas has some nice bucks, southern Illinois has world class bucks. Texas is a good place to hunt but the top end bucks just aren't there. The right piece of property in Illinois doesn't have to be very large, it just needs to be woods and no human pressure. If the creek bottom is fenced off from the cows, they'll be some monster bucks there.

Grit there is not a deer alive no matter the state worth that.
Greed is what has drove prices where the regular working man can't afford to hunt especially a young family man.
As much as I love to deer hunt I wish every hunter in this state would boycott the season. It would definitely get the attention of the lessors and the TPWD when that revenue didn't roll in.

I just wanted to say thank you for all of the input and share a few thoughts. I know all leases are different but we will not be leasing in a way that hunters can come out year round to scout/ hunt/ play. What I am used to from others in Illinois is out of state hunters that are issued very specific dates allowed to hunt. I would not lease bow hunting to an in-state hunter that would then want use of the land from july/ august to december. I want very much to provide the very best experience to people that enjoy hunting but I don't want a bunch of drunks in their razrs. The clientele I am looking for is someone who drives or flies in to hunt for a week or less (depending on bow or shotgun) is assured that in the area they are hunting they will see no one else and can relax and enjoy themselves. I am happy to help them with scouting good locations, transport them to/ from hunting area, haul and field dress deer, fire pit to relax around, some meals. Just create an environment where they can unplug and leave all the stress of their life behind. I believe there are people out there this would appeal to.

One of our neighbors has a hunting operation and approached us last year about leasing for deer season. No way - husband is hard core deer hunter (primarily bow) and we simply didn't want a bunch of people we don't know on our property, including potential risks, destruction and liabilities. That said, same neighbor approached us a couple weeks ago about a turkey hunt for a family from IL. Neither of us hunt turkeys, we have a freakin' ton of 'em so we told them we'd try it and see how it goes.

TCRanch":evgs8b35 said:
One of our neighbors has a hunting operation and approached us last year about leasing for deer season. No way - husband is hard core deer hunter (primarily bow) and we simply didn't want a bunch of people we don't know on our property, including potential risks, destruction and liabilities. That said, same neighbor approached us a couple weeks ago about a turkey hunt for a family from IL. Neither of us hunt turkeys, we have a freakin' ton of 'em so we told them we'd try it and see how it goes.

I would like to hear how this works for you

I can't get enough money for turkey hunting rights to make it worth while to me. For $2 per acre I'd just as soon no one besides friends be on our property.

red angus 2010":15zlt4p8 said:
TCRanch":15zlt4p8 said:

I would like to hear how this works for you
Well, our neighbors just left and our cut is $400. The hunters will be here Saturday and Sunday morning - contingent on weather (yet more T-storms predicted). That's it. Presumably our neighbors make a fair amount because they provide lodging, food and a UTV. No ruts in the mud, don't drive on the brome field, no trash left behind, please don't die or get severely injured on our property. They won't be remotely close to our cattle. We even offered to fill the deer feeders with corn but evidently they want to call them in - the whole "true hunting experience". Oh, and our neighbors are bringing them by Friday night to meet us. Really? But whatever, that's fine.

TCRanch":28x0rulj said:
We even offered to fill the deer feeders with corn but evidently they want to call them in - the whole "true hunting experience". Oh, and our neighbors are bringing them by Friday night to meet us. Really? But whatever, that's fine.
I don't know about Kansas or any other state but here in Georgia hunting turkeys around corn feeders would be unlawful baiting. Calling a turkey within shotgun range takes a fair amount of skill and is the allure of the sport.

ga.prime":1tbia56d said:
TCRanch":1tbia56d said:
We even offered to fill the deer feeders with corn but evidently they want to call them in - the whole "true hunting experience". Oh, and our neighbors are bringing them by Friday night to meet us. Really? But whatever, that's fine.
I don't know about Kansas or any other state but here in Georgia hunting turkeys around corn feeders would be unlawful baiting. Calling a turkey within shotgun range takes a fair amount of skill and is the allure of the sport.

Funny you bring that up GP, my son ran into the game warden yesterday at our main gate. First time anyone has seen a
game warden in years. The snakes are crawling, this one crawled about 3' from my son's boot while turkey hunting this morning.

True Grit Farms":38901zes said:
Funny you bring that up GP, my son ran into the game warden yesterday at our main gate. First time anyone has seen a
game warden in years. The snakes are crawling, this one crawled about 3' from my son's boot while turkey hunting this morning.
I ran a king snake out of the bushes yesterday running the lawn mower. Some of the hunting club members saw a king snake swallow a rat snake at the deer camp a week or two back.

I hear you on the game warden. I haven't seen one since that last one we had got sent up the river on domestic abuse charges. He was a real go getter.

True Grit Farms":1w4ml30e said:
ga.prime":1w4ml30e said:
TCRanch":1w4ml30e said:

Hadn't thought about whether baiting is illegal but must be why they declined the offer.
Grit, that's one nasty snake!

TCRanch":26c9jzv6 said:
True Grit Farms":26c9jzv6 said:
ga.prime":26c9jzv6 said:
Hadn't thought about whether baiting is illegal but must be why they declined the offer.
More likely they want to match wits with a turkey, which is the entire purpose behind turkey hunting.

Latest posts