KY banning hunting of hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

@Travlr ... I was not referring to which were the more prolific... it was someone on here that said you could pick them off more effectively if you shot them from the end to the front; if you shot the "leaders" as they ran, then the next ones in line would scatter... whereas if you picked them off from the rear, they would continue to run in a straighter line so to speak.
I have no experience with them and hope I never do.
Yeah, the animal rights dumba$$es will give them more rights just like they do to the wolves being released and the coyotes moving into the suburbs and killing pets and trying to drag off toddlers....
The powers that be in KY on this have two different views on hogs and coyotes.
In KY we can hunt coyotes anytime if day year round with little if any restrictions.
Then they say no shooting hogs.
I never saw a coyote or even heard about them, until the 90's here, but they were very likely around in the 80's and some of the poultry predations were like them instead of foxes like we thought.
Once I started seeing them it was like a continual thing. There are so many of them here, it looks like they would have eaten every prey animal there possibly is by now. There are several people that have hunted them and some still are and getting large numbers but yet it doesn't make a dent in them. If they had been upfront about them and pushed hunting them early on they may have slowed the numbers of them some, but it's just been just been a few years since they took all the time restrictions off of coyote hunting.
It's always been not a problem in the eyes of many when the coyotes were pretty much in the country. The people don't care what farmers have to deal with, Now that they are making their territory inside neighborhoods it's suddenly a problem and sightings in town make the news, with folks highly concerned about their children and pets.
If we look at the states with hog infestations they are going to spread if they ever get a foothold and it will be a similar thing as with coyotes.

Can't see government employees getting rid of anything by trapping, they don't have the hate /kill mentality needed to eradicate them, and pay comes by regularly win, loose or draw.

Around here there is a bounty and trapping program for beavers, it's good business practice to leave a few for seed no sense working yourself out of a job!
That really doesn't make any sense. Regardless, most of the trappers are hired by the government. Its not the suits out there trying to trap critters.

I see their point, but in over 50 years of hog hunting, I have never seem them out at daylight. They are nocturnal whether hunted or not. And the hog traps work well at night, so no reason for the officials to not trap at night. Only time I have seen hogs in daylight, is when you hunt them with dogs. Bottom line is, you will never eradicate them. Best approach would be for the WMD to go at the trapping plan full tilt, AND allow year-round hunting. Then maybe you can get them down to a manageable level.
I see hogs almost every day late in the afternoon. I had a fellow trap hogs destroying my have. He caught 77 and I lost 25 rolls of hay. You can't get rid of them no matter how many you kill.

You have to learn to live with them like any other varmint. Kill off their natural predators like bobcats and coyotes will only make the problems worse. Like buzzards, take a shot at them even if they are to far to hit to let them know they are being hunted. Folks using deer feeders are your worst enemy. They feed 30 and may shoot one or two. Keep your hay stack away from areas they frequent.
If you see them late in the evening during the summer, they are most likely going to water. Grab a couple beers and go sit under a tree upwind from the area for a couple evenings about a hour before dark. They follow the same route/trail every day until they get disturbed.

I've read that you need to watch them and determine which is the lead sow but don't shoot her. If you do, the rest will scatter eventually forming sounders of their own thus exacerbating the problem. Shooting at the others will cause them to run but most will follow the lead sow which is supposed to keep them from spreading as fast. Don't know if that's true but I'll shoot any I see. They can just wreck a piece of ground in no time flat.

You have to learn to live with them like any other varmint. Kill off their natural predators like bobcats and coyotes will only make the problems worse. Like buzzards, take a shot at them even if they are to far to hit to let them know they are being hunted. Folks using deer feeders are your worst enemy. They feed 30 and may shoot one or two. Keep your hay stack away from areas they frequent.
If you see them late in the evening during the summer, they are most likely going to water. Grab a couple beers and go sit under a tree upwind from the area for a couple evenings about a hour before dark. They follow the same route/trail every day until they get disturbed.
Bob cats and coyotes are not their predators. Might could take a piglet if they can get by the sow every now and then. From the time this country was settled, all of the 1700's and 1800's, up to the mid 19o0's or so, most people let their hogs run wild, and didn't pen them. With all or nearly all of domestic pigs back then running feral, you never had the problems you do now, mainly over-population. This was because there were predators to keep them in check back then. Bear, wolves, cougars and jaguar in North America...which are no longer present.

I had a sow with piglets and one disappeared. I found him dead maybe a 150 feet from the pen in some tall grass, his sides raked open in long slices from his belly to above the midpoint on his sides. We had a tall snag out back across the creek and midway up the hill where eagles would roost. I suspect an eagle tried to carry the piglet off, it struggled and was dropped, and it died from the fall.

Pigs are tough. I wonder why the wild desert pigs, Javelina, haven't bred in numbers to be a problem. What keeps their numbers down?

I had a sow with piglets and one disappeared. I found him dead maybe a 150 feet from the pen in some tall grass, his sides raked open in long slices from his belly to above the midpoint on his sides. We had a tall snag out back across the creek and midway up the hill where eagles would roost. I suspect an eagle tried to carry the piglet off, it struggled and was dropped, and it died from the fall.

Pigs are tough. I wonder why the wild desert pigs, Javelina, haven't bred in numbers to be a problem. What keeps their numbers down?
The habitat. If you were to irrigate 1000 acres and turn it into lush pasture, row crop land, or just the kind of habitat you find here in the east, then their numbers would multiply dramatically, and they'd concentrate on those crop fields instead of trying to find the occasional prickly pear to eat.

If deer feeders are your worse enemy then where do farmers rank? They plant hundreds or thousands of acres of feed for hogs. 🤔

I have personally watched coyotes running down piglets and catching them in the daylight. I was very conflicted after that about killing coyotes. 😄

I see their point, but in over 50 years of hog hunting, I have never seem them out at daylight. They are nocturnal whether hunted or not. And the hog traps work well at night, so no reason for the officials to not trap at night. Only time I have seen hogs in daylight, is when you hunt them with dogs. Bottom line is, you will never eradicate them. Best approach would be for the WMD to go at the trapping plan full tilt, AND allow year-round hunting. Then maybe you can get them down to a manageable level.
We have a lot of them and seeing them in daylight is not unusual, they will come out of the edge of a field and if it's hot come to a tank for water. They are hard to get rid of. The part about shooting is usually correct, if you shoot they will go away, but only temporarily that will be determined by where they find a food source. The best way is to trap them from a remotely set large trap that you can watch and trigger by cell phone but you do have to be patient and watch and wait. If you are you can catch an entire sounder. A buddy of min in Abilene has one of those traps and has caught up to 30 at a time

We are in difficult country here and shooting opportunities on pigs are very few. We were having a lot of pig problems until about 10 years ago a big property just south of us did a 1080 baiting program very successfully and we haven't seen one since.

Ken
It's easy enough to bait them and kill them but almost anything you use will kill a lot of animals you don't want to kill. Antifreeze and corn will destroy a group of hogs but if deer, cattle, horses or dogs get to it, it will kill them too. A & M supposedly created a hog only poison but I don't know anyone that uses it

If deer feeders are your worse enemy then where do farmers rank? They plant hundreds or thousands of acres of feed for hogs. 🤔

I have personally watched coyotes running down piglets and catching them in the daylight. I was very conflicted after that about killing coyotes. 😄
Coyotes have to find a small one separated from the others from what I've seen, most coyotes won't tackle a full grown one and the sows are pretty protective of the little ones. Farmers do plant crops but that's not the issue, the hogs are. You don't even hve to plant crops, I've got about 50 or 60 acres of low land that will get real wet in a storm , after that the hogs will root up the mud and make massive holes looking for grubs and roots. I can't take my cab tractor back there after that because most of the ground is so rough when they ge done. We have a real heavy and long old Case 930 that can go back there but the mess they make is incredible

It's easy enough to bait them and kill them but almost anything you use will kill a lot of animals you don't want to kill. Antifreeze and corn will destroy a group of hogs but if deer, cattle, horses or dogs get to it, it will kill them too. A & M supposedly created a hog only poison but I don't know anyone that uses it
Has anyone ever trapped some hogs, sorted out the leader and spayed her, and then turned her out to become a "Judas" to lead others into traps? Turn the leader out before killing the rest of the trapped pigs and they would think they are just coming in to get a good feed?

Might be fun to experiment with...

Has anyone ever trapped some hogs, sorted out the leader and spayed her, and then turned her out to become a "Judas" to lead others into traps? Turn the leader out before killing the rest of the trapped pigs and they would think they are just coming in to get a good feed?

Might be fun to experiment with...
Hogs are pretty smart and figure out the trap deal pretty quickly, I think she would be the one that helps keep them out of a trap

Latest posts