KY banning hunting of hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We don't have any wild hogs right in this area, but apparently there are pockets of them south, east and west of here.
Not sure how they are going to enforce a hunting ban on them.
They will have to be really on a timely schedule to trap or whatever they do to eradicate the hogs or they will have people trying to shoot the hogs if the dept doesn't make it a fast priority to get something done.

20 years or more ago, hogs showed up on the Ft. Campbell military base here in the south end of the county. TN boys who liked hunting them with dogs brought 'em up from south GA/FL and kicked 'em out around the periphery of the base (most of Ft. Campbell is actually in TN). They were living mainly in artillery practice impact areas, where there is so much unexploded ordnance that you can't go in there after them. They'd come out to raid crop fields of farmers who'd contracted to plant on portions of the base. We had friends who used to plant hundreds of acres on base, but the damage was so bad, they surrendered their contract.
DOD trapped some - and brought to the Diagnostic Lab where I worked... healthiest hogs I'd ever seen, very few parasites, no disease issues, and all were Brucellosis test-negative.
Despite having Apache, Blackhawk, and Chinook helicopters out the wazoo, they hired an outfit out of OK to come shoot hogs from helicopters... no telling how much $$$ that cost, and to my knowlege, they didn't manage to kill many, and certainly didn't eliminate the problem.
I've since been seeing increasing reports of feral hog sightings in nearby Land Between the Lakes.

I've not encountered any feral hogs, or seen damage indicative of them yet, but if I encounter them, I'll shoot... KDFWR be damned.

I see their point, but in over 50 years of hog hunting, I have never seem them out at daylight. They are nocturnal whether hunted or not. And the hog traps work well at night, so no reason for the officials to not trap at night. Only time I have seen hogs in daylight, is when you hunt them with dogs. Bottom line is, you will never eradicate them. Best approach would be for the WMD to go at the trapping plan full tilt, AND allow year-round hunting. Then maybe you can get them down to a manageable level.

In this article from UK it states that shooting a lone pig is ok but if there's more than one then trapping is advised.
I would think that since the population of pigs in KY is likely fairly small that in several instances there may be lone animals spreading out and for landowners not to be able to take preventive measures could lead to more problems.
The DFW may or may not be very fast to move the n trapping. I don't know how proficient and effective they would be.
@kenny thomas is that full time NRCS trapper just in one county or does he in theory cover a larger region or statewide?

He lives here but to my knowledge there are not any hogs anywhere else close enough that I think he does any other areas. I was surprised when i heard he was here.

Bad mistake, every hunter out there needs to shoot everyone they see . Not going to see but a few in the daylight , but kill the ones you do see ! So far not a problem in northeast Alabama but a different story in south Alabama. Cousin farms and hired a guy to trap them . Jack leg was catching and releasing on other land . A lot of sounders started as result of gooduns starting hunting opportunities on their hunting clubs and adjoining land . Bad mistake, they break up turkey nests , eat up supplemental feed for deer , and damage crops.

He lives here but to my knowledge there are not any hogs anywhere else close enough that I think he does any other areas. I was surprised when i heard he was here.
That's what I wondering if they will have one in every county or range of 2 or three counties like the USDA NRCS offices here. Could make for a new government paid position for several people

That's what I wondering if they will have one in every county or range of 2 or three counties like the USDA NRCS offices here. Could make for a new government paid position for several people
I dont even know why we have one here. I haven't seen a hog in 10 years and we have almost no crops for them to damage.

Their plan is only "working" right now because their people are playing patty cake with a few pigs crossing in to the area. When they get invaded they will have to do some thing else.

I do think regulations that you can't transport hogs for tuning out and things like that should be in place. I guess one that says you can not sell hog hunts could also help. You don't want people spreading them for the purpose of hunting.

Can't see government employees getting rid of anything by trapping, they don't have the hate /kill mentality needed to eradicate them, and pay comes by regularly win, loose or draw.

Around here there is a bounty and trapping program for beavers, it's good business practice to leave a few for seed no sense working yourself out of a job!

Back in East Texas, I've seen many dozens out in daylight. Early morning after sunrise and just before sunset mostly but I have disturbed more than one sounder tearing up old burn pile areas where they were rooting for big grubs in leftover rotting wood..
Seen them at those same times too many times to count. They are more active at night but daytime sightings are pretty common.

Their plan is only "working" right now because their people are playing patty cake with a few pigs crossing in to the area. When they get invaded they will have to do some thing else.

I do think regulations that you can't transport hogs for tuning out and things like that should be in place. I guess one that says you can not sell hog hunts could also help. You don't want people spreading them for the purpose of hunting.
Texas state parks will allow trapping in the parks provided a number of conditions are met…$1,000,000 general liability insurance is one of the big ones…also, they must be immediately taken to a processor…relocating them and turning them loose is prohibited. Cleburne State Park did that within the last few years…I took a look at their contract because we were considering doing that at our park.

Wasn't it @Caustic Burno or some one of the guys down there that deal with the feral hogs... said to shoot them from the back of the group running towards the leaders, and they don't scatter like if you shoot the leaders...
If I see any around here, and hope I don't... they will get shot.... PERIOD.....

Wasn't it @Caustic Burno or some one of the guys down there that deal with the feral hogs... said to shoot them from the back of the group running towards the leaders, and they don't scatter like if you shoot the leaders...
If I see any around here, and hope I don't... they will get shot.... PERIOD.....
I would think the leaders would be the most prolific breeders... so shooting them or the ones in the back is six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Sooner or later some toddler is going to get eaten and then there will be a culture war over whether the pigs need to be killed out or whether the poor little pigs are only defending themselves from the big, bad human oppressors. At this point in time there may be more animal rights nuts than people willing to trap/shoot hogs, so who knows which point of view will prevail...

@Travlr ... I was not referring to which were the more prolific... it was someone on here that said you could pick them off more effectively if you shot them from the end to the front; if you shot the "leaders" as they ran, then the next ones in line would scatter... whereas if you picked them off from the rear, they would continue to run in a straighter line so to speak.
I have no experience with them and hope I never do.
Yeah, the animal rights dumba$$es will give them more rights just like they do to the wolves being released and the coyotes moving into the suburbs and killing pets and trying to drag off toddlers....

Latest posts