Just check'n in . . . it's been awhile

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Hi, CTB folks. I do check in to see what you have to say now and then, but w/out cattle, I don't have much to contribute. I do miss the cattle -- hugely -- but they are well-taken care of nearby and I can pretty much have as much interaction as I want to with them. I choose to have little, as that wound is still pretty sore for me.

In the interim . . . RETIREMENT IS NOT OVER-RATED! Do not do monthly or frequent adventures to exotic places or anywhere else. Visited Hawaii for 10 days in Feb.; going to take a couple of days later in the month for deep-sea fishing out of Westport. The travel trailer has not yet been broke to lead by Ruby, as we can't seem to figure out where WE would like to go! Garden did so-so this year, despite good care -- but we had a really hot and dry Summer after a late Spring. That said, did do some canning and alot of freezing of fruit and veggies; some will be for winter projects. Will buy both elk and deer tags, to see if something wanders in front of me. Leased out our pasture and handling facilities for neighbor's bulls during the winter and his pairs over the spring/summer. Raising one steer here for us.

I've thought about getting a part-time job -- maybe 10-20 hrs. a week -- just for some extra spending money -- but then ... "which 2 or 3 days of the week do I want to give up 5 hours?" So far, none! I might find something volunteer that appeals to me. I don't miss the daily drive to town, and try to limit that to once a week, because I prefer not to go there.

Weather is cooling off -- might actually turn on the heat stove later today. 3 layers of clothing is enough. LOL! We remain in pretty good health, and would like it to stay that way. Hope all of you are well, have had a good summer, are ready for winter, and all that. I keep up with some of you on FB, but not all.

Love all ya'all! Kathie

Glad things are working out, now you need to give that travel trailer a work out. Head southeast doesn't your hubby have some family in MO or TX that need visiting?

Thanks for the update! Sounds like life is good! Volunteering is always nice. I have volunteered at something or another since I was a teen. It's a good "bridge" between different life stages

I was just thinking the other day that it was sad to not see your "elk" avatar.... Glad that you are enjoying the retirement.... With farms selling out and some cutting back on their milk testing due to the horrible milk prices, I am slowly "slowing down" into some "semi-retirement" status. It doesn't hurt my feelings as I am tired of 2 and 3 a.m. milkings anyway. But I cannot imagine not having our own cattle; so glad you can deal with it.
Good Luck with hunting season, and drop a note now & then so we know you are doing okay.

True Grit Farms":23mod2nf said:
Glad things are working out, now you need to give that travel trailer a work out. Head southeast doesn't your hubby have some family in MO or TX that need visiting?

I do want to do some touring in the South and Southwest -- check out some civil war history spots, find bass and/or catfish holes here and there, meet some of the folks I've "met" here and on other cattle pages or via business with them. Not many of the fam left in MO. Like I said, it's been quite awhile since I've visited here. Efrem in Canada tells me that Dun passed away -- is that true? What a great guy, that guy!

It sounds like you are having a great retirement and living the life. That sounds like proof that retirement is not overrated. I don't know who came up with the idea that it is anyway. Apparently somebody that doesn't know how to enjoy life like you. Take care.

Kathie in Thorp":2r50r1ru said:
Efrem in Canada tells me that Dun passed away -- is that true? What a great guy, that guy!

It is, sadly, :cry2: true. There's a "sticky" thread, top of the page, coffee shop titled "So Long, My Old Friend". You'll find all the info there.

Latest posts