Jackson Lake Wyoming

Help Support CattleToday:

I understand that what you are saying is factually incorrect. The great salt lake isn't drying up due to drought. The drainage that fills flaming gorge had above average precipitation last year.
Why aren't lakes storing water at higher elevations in Utah? Because once the wasatch front got the water they wanted from other areas, the central Utah water project was not given the funding to complete the higher lakes to build the water storage they promised as part of the agreement to move water to the wasatch front.

Don't forget we are in the third consecutive year of La Nina, which is the main cause of the west-wide drought. This is supposed to break down in the middle of the winter and go to ENSO neutral and hopefully a more normal spring. Snowpack wasn't too bad in a lot of the central Rockies last spring, but hot, dry June and July weather melted them off faster than usual and has done it since the La Nina started in 2020. This current heat wave is miserable -- Cheyenne, WY at 6100 feet elevation is set to hit 97* today and down here at 4800 feet we will be pushing 100*. This thing is set in here all week before cooling off Friday-Saturday. I'm done with summer. I'd like to order up a foot of wet, heavy snow.

Don't forget we are in the third consecutive year of La Nina, which is the main cause of the west-wide drought. This is supposed to break down in the middle of the winter and go to ENSO neutral and hopefully a more normal spring. Snowpack wasn't too bad in a lot of the central Rockies last spring, but hot, dry June and July weather melted them off faster than usual and has done it since the La Nina started in 2020. This current heat wave is miserable -- Cheyenne, WY at 6100 feet elevation is set to hit 97* today and down here at 4800 feet we will be pushing 100*. This thing is set in here all week before cooling off Friday-Saturday. I'm done with summer. I'd like to order up a foot of wet, heavy snow.
From watching Don Day's podcast it appears that a lot of our moisture here in the US is determined by how hot the Pacific Ocean is. In a La Nina year the Pacific is colder than normal and therefore we have a drought.

As with most drought situations the problem is stocking rate. There is plenty of water there for 50% of the population but volunteers to remove themselves from the worlds population are few and far between. Even those willing to relocate are few. Being that most of those refugees would be metropolitan Californians and Nevadans nobody wants them either. Most of us would prefer a bus load of Mexicans to a bus load of Los Angelites. You would think at this point they would have enough sense to stop watering lawns and golf courses, exactly why nobody wants them.

I am of the opinion it would have a tremendous economic impact if we could develop a practical methodology for the conversion of
sea water to freshwater usage. It would, I think, be more practical to pump the water from the Pacific to a large holding area where
the separation would take place. (Yes, it would take several thousand acre feet of storage) Construction, security and maintenance
could be managed on an inland site and risk of wave action damage would not become an issue. I will be first to admit this is not going
to take place on a Cattle Today forum.

I have a 1st cousin who retired from Black and Veatch not too long ago. If I remember right, he was involved in the Florida Everglade project at one time. Provided it were feasible from an engineering approach it will be a project that would approach the Eisenhower Interstate Hi-Way
Project. I am concerned of how much salt would need to be extracted and the resulting salt basin. I would not be surprised to find out that
studies have and will continued to be made on this venture. I plan on contacting him and seeing if he has a feel for the practicality of such
a project or if such is underway. I have no plans to visit this topic again anytime in the near future on these pages.

Getting cooperation from the current administration could prove a problem as any viable solution to any economic situation
does not seem to fit the planned rhetoric.
Hopefully there will be some positive news in the not too distant...
In the mean pray for adequate rain or snow,

Lots of ways to save or recycle water for people. Just need to make the cost of water high enough.

Ag is the area that will get hurt by a lot less water. Bill saw all this coming., and that is why he bought a lot of his land in the rainy SE.

I am of the opinion it would have a tremendous economic impact if we could develop a practical methodology for the conversion of
sea water to freshwater usage.
Look up Permasep, developed by DuPont. It was developed in the lab about 200' from where I'm sitting right now.

I still say digging a ditch from the Mississippi is not the answer. Can you imagine how long that would take to complete.
Plus would it have less environmental impact than an oil pipeline that was canceled? I don't have the answer but that's not it. There is an ocean of water to the west and there must be a way to make it available to use.

It would take trillions of $ to move water from the Mississippi or Great Lakes to the deserts. It's literally up hill the entire way.

Stop building cities in deserts.

It would take trillions of $ to move water from the Mississippi or Great Lakes to the deserts. It's literally up hill the entire way.
nows the perfect time to make that happen..while they're throwing money around..

sea water to freshwater

I am concerned of how much salt would need to be extracted and the resulting salt basin.
That is exactly what they are dealing with with the great salt lake.
They have figured out a way to remove the salt and make the water usable. It is quite simple in this case. Actually remove/use the fresh water before it it becomes contaminated by the salt water of the lake.
Travlr and others are crying doom and gloom and blaming the drying up of the lake on drought even though scientists suggest otherwise.
And others are trying to figure out how to deal with the environmental effects of the increased size of the salt flats

sea water to freshwater usage. It would, I think, be more practical to pump the water from the Pacific to a large holding area where
the separation would take place. (Yes, it would take several thousand acre feet of storage) Construction, security and maintenance
could be managed on an inland site and risk of wave action damage would not become an issue. I will be first to admit this is not going
to take place on a Cattle Today forum.

I have a 1st cousin who retired from Black and Veatch not too long ago. If I remember right, he was involved in the Florida Everglade project at one time. Provided it were feasible from an engineering approach it will be a project that would approach the Eisenhower Interstate Hi-Way
Project. I am concerned of how much salt would need to be extracted and the resulting salt basin. I would not be surprised to find out that
studies have and will continued to be made on this venture. I plan on contacting him and seeing if he has a feel for the practicality of such
a project or if such is underway. I have no plans to visit this topic again anytime in the near future on these pages.

Getting cooperation from the current administration could prove a problem as any viable solution to any economic situation
does not seem to fit the planned rhetoric.
Hopefully there will be some positive news in the not too distant...
In the mean pray for adequate rain or snow,
Maybe we could use sea water just for irrigation and not have to clean it up so much? Take some of the pressure off the current water supply.

The largest desal plant in the world makes 25,096,344,974 gals/day and returns the salt back to the sea as a brine solution via pipelines. Most of the really big ones are in the Mideast and use Reverse Osmosis, which is expensive, requires a lot of electricity and they have huge solar arrays to provide that electricity.......most of which is paid for by other nations buying their oil.

(evidently, the technology has improved greatly since 1974-1975 when I spent 2 years in Guantanamo Bay drinking and bathing in desal water from a desal plant that was originally built by the US Navy at Point Loma Calif, dismantled, shipped to Cuba and reassembled. It's been upgraded since then, increased in size so maybe the color and taste is not as bad now. It was forever breaking down back then. Last I heard it produced about 2 million gals/day which isn't very much)

Travlr and others are crying doom and gloom and blaming the drying up of the lake on drought even though scientists suggest otherwise.
You are making stuff up and attributing it to me. I said the GSL was drying because people are using the water before it reaches the lake... although the current drought is not helping.

Not sure what your problem is...

Stop building cities in deserts.
I've always wondered if it was better to have a city in the deserts where there is no water or food and try to supply those things or is it better to take up the best farm land in wet areas for the cities. Every time I go to Dallas/Fort Worth area I wonder how many acres of good farm land is under that big ugly metroplex. It rains more there than it does where I am at and they have good black dirt compared to our red clay and blow sand.

I've always wondered if it was better to have a city in the deserts where there is no water or food and try to supply those things or is it better to take up the best farm land in wet areas for the cities. Every time I go to Dallas/Fort Worth area I wonder how many acres of good farm land is under that big ugly metroplex. It rains more there than it does where I am at and they have good black dirt compared to our red clay and blow sand.
I agree...

And why is it that we build in the bottoms where the good soil is... and then later when things get crowded we put high prices on the lots on the hillsides and call them "view lots"?

I agree...

And why is it that we build in the bottoms where the good soil is... and then later when things get crowded we put high prices on the lots on the hillsides and call them "view lots"?
I always assume things were started in the creek and river bottoms because back when the town was started they needed to be close to water. Our down town in my little town starts right at the edge of the creek bottom.
I don't like the government telling us what todo but if they or someone would make a nice big city in a reasonable place that would be great.

You are making stuff up and attributing it to me. I said the GSL was drying because people are using the water before it reaches the lake... although the current drought is not helping.

Not sure what your problem is...
My problem is the false information you keep posting.
If you are going to move to a area and then post about it you need to actually be informed. So inform yourself before posting. It always amazes my how people move to a area then claim to be experts on it and try to change it to the place they just left because they didn't like it.

My problem is the false information you keep posting.
If you are going to move to a area and then post about it you need to actually be informed. So inform yourself before posting. It always amazes my how people move to a area then claim to be experts on it and try to change it to the place they just left because they didn't like it.
I said ONE THING that you corrected... and now you act like a three year old. Like you have some kind of personal grudge. I didn't rape your daughter, steal your gun, or kick your dog... but you sure are acting like it.

And what is worse? Someone being mistaken unintentionally or someone making things up intentionally and broadcasting them as fact?

Grow up...

Latest posts