Ivermectin wormer pour on

Help Support CattleToday:

How long is the Ultra Sabre lasting. We fight flies every year.
It depends on the conditions. When we were just using Ultra Saber some times it was a month and some times it was a couple months. Using it alone can get very expensive.

I actually went out and purchased alley bowes and panels with alleys built in to hang fly bags. Any where I can put one in a gate they have to go through or I can make them go through one to get water, I add them. It took a couple years for the cattle to really get use to them.

Just the bags or just the Saber did not work for us. We hit the cattle twice a year when the cows get worked and use the bags in between. The combo has been the most successful and economical.

I always use Saber on calves when we band or dehorn because it definitely keeps the flies away long enough for all that to heal up.

There is also a brand called Brute. It seems to work just as good and it a little cheaper.

The only thing I've found that actually looks like it would work and be fairly maintenence free is the Prairie Phoenix Cattle Oiler. The cost right at 2 grand so been a little reluctant on it because I'd need a couple of them. The insecticide/oil is fairly inexpensive for them.

We used to use cattle rubs (oilers as we called them) hung across gateways and soaked with a mix of diesel and insecticide of some sort. That was years ago, I've considered doing that again but would have to use two to go across the gate openings and I don't really like having to unhook them to go through a gate.
We use fly tags and IGR mineral.
Seems like the best flytags will last about 3 months. We try to put them in a little later like up in May or June, that still leaves a little over a couple months of flys

I mix Pounce (permethrin) with diesel in one of these to keep the lice, ticks etc. at bay for the part of the year the cows are at home. Once out on the range they use the fly swatter they were born with. But we don't get flies up here like folks down south do.
IMG_0161.jpeg

I mix Pounce (permethrin) with diesel in one of these to keep the lice, ticks etc. at bay for the part of the year the cows are at home. Once out on the range they use the fly swatter they were born with. But we don't get flies up here like folks down south do.
View attachment 44891
That's what we've been looking at. Are they effective? We get flys something terrible from May to September.

That's what we've been looking at. Are they effective? We get flys something terrible from May to September.
Well, it works well for ticks and lice October to May lol. After that they are on their own so I can't say. But based on how they seem to use it I don't see why it wouldn't.

Need to add a little Warbex if you could find it to fix the buzzard problem.
What about
Dectomax for Cattle & Swine.
The reviews are good, if you read past the great shipping, easy to order, arrive on time and quick service. I don't rate products for easy ordering and such. I want to hear results of effectiveness good or bad.

What about
Dectomax for Cattle & Swine.
The reviews are good, if you read past the great shipping, easy to order, arrive on time and quick service. I don't rate products for easy ordering and such. I want to hear results of effectiveness good or bad.
We use Dectomax in the fall at preg check and vaccination time (late October to mid-November). Then Clean Up II for lice control about the end of December. We didn't get the Clean Up II work done this year and cows looked pretty bad by March due to lice. They look normal now though.

You are only going to get resistant worms if you worm regularly, use the same wormer and run the cattle on the same ground constantly where they can pick up larvae when eating the grass down short as the larvae are 90% on the lower 6 inches of the grass... IN MATURE CATTLE.....

That is one reason we do not regularly worm mature cattle... to cut down on any resistance build up. They will never build a tolerance to worms if they get wormed all the time, and then the worms build up the resistance to the type wormer.

You will never totally eliminate worms in every animal, every time... Immature cattle; calves, younger stock and such are more susceptible and can not tolerate a worm load much because of their age, size, and because they will often eat shorter grasses closer to the ground while grazing... so are more likely to pick them up....

Cydectin is a little different formulation than Ivermectin, and is supposed to be less damaging to dung beetles and earthworms... It is approved for lactating dairy cattle as is Eprinex, another form of the "ectins" ... but Ivermec/Ivermectin is not approved for dairy.

RJ Matthews has a good chart on wormers, what they target, and all indications and dosages...and withdrawal times.... It is listed as Cattle Dewormer Comparison Chart... We are using up the ivermectin we have and I want to switch to Cydectin.

Rotational grazing helps alot... grazing calves first then following with older cattle helps, some good cold freezing temps seems to help too and we are not getting that much anymore... NOT grazing the pastures down to the roots helps... worming animals and then allowing 24-48 hours in a sacrifice lot/pasture for them to drop the dead/dying parasites and then putting out on grass that has been "fallow" for at least 30-45 days helps also... they can't get reinfected with resistant strains if not back on the same ground as fast.
The pour-ons will help greatly with the lice and various flies, and some worms etc... orals drenches and feed through helps the best with intestinal worms and such... injectables do some of both...

Just look at the withdrawal times on some... Injectables range from 21 to 50 days... orals/drenches range from 2 to 27 days... Pour-ons range from 0 to 48 days... Something to consider if you are planning to ship cattle in say 30 days....
I love this response. I'll add one "why" to it, which gives support to what you are saying. I am an advocate for rotational grazing for many reasons. Rotational grazing, in respect to the parasites, breaks the parasite cycle. The reason being is that the parasites can only survive without a host for so long. Rotational grazing takes advantage of this "Achilles heel" of the parasites by removing the livestock (cattle) from the pasture for a period of time (leaving it "fallow") for a period of time longer than the "survival period" of the parasite. @farmerjan suggests 30-45 days. If the parasites can only survive without a host for 28 days, this time frame works great. If the parasites survive without a host for 35 days, you have to increase the "fallow" time to at least 36 days. This is the why and how rotational grazing can be effective against parasite infections. You HAVE to know this in order to set up an EFFECTIVE rotational grazing system. A 'randomly' set up rotational system might not work, especially if it doesn't take this into consideration.

I use Cydectin with good results. As far as flies and ticks, Fly Ban as needed (generally every few weeks in heavy fly season).

I'm anxious to try the Altosid IGR bolus when it becomes available next year (contrary to the website, the Co-Op's near me don't currently carry it). Supposed to be effective for 195 days.

Like somebody said before, don't over-use 'wormer' etc.
I found Ivermec (various different brands, same stuff) the most potent.
Regardless of what you end up using you have to look at the fine print as to how long it stays active. Some require a second application in order to kill eggs and new larvae as well. If you don't catch the whole 'shebang' you pretty much wasted the first application (if you need to apply two)
We personally only de-worm once a year, in the fall when they come home from summer pasture. That does seem to do the trick.
Exception to the rule....... if lice are bad in early spring we might use some lice pour on, that has only happened once though over the years.
And last but not least, treat the whole herd. A few animals may look worse then others and you may think to just treat the worse cases, but the other animals may actually be the carriers/hosts of the parasites.

Just my 5 cents.

Like somebody said before, don't over-use 'wormer' etc.
I found Ivermec (various different brands, same stuff) the most potent.
Regardless of what you end up using you have to look at the fine print as to how long it stays active. Some require a second application in order to kill eggs and new larvae as well. If you don't catch the whole 'shebang' you pretty much wasted the first application (if you need to apply two)
We personally only de-worm once a year, in the fall when they come home from summer pasture. That does seem to do the trick.
Exception to the rule....... if lice are bad in early spring we might use some lice pour on, that has only happened once though over the years.
And last but not least, treat the whole herd. A few animals may look worse then others and you may think to just treat the worse cases, but the other animals may actually be the carriers/hosts of the parasites.

Just my 5 cents.
One comment, treat for lice in the fall and you will never see them in the spring. Lice will do most of their damage during the winter.

We only use injectable on the calves when we work them and when we wean. Also on replacements before breeding. We did give the five mature cows we AIed an injectable injection. The rest have been getting a pour on twice a year. We try to rotate types of wormers. Are going to try the Safe guard feed you feed in a feed bunk. Know several breeders using it and have had samples pulled and it shows to work.