Is Brahman influenced beef bad?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tape, Almost everyone is "electrically stimulating carcasses" now.

Brangus is the first major cattle organization to use ultrasound as a means to gather carcass data. They were light years ahead of the other breeds, in this practice, at one time.

Beefy":ocbl73pf said:
if brahman influenced meat is bad somebody better tell Nolan.
beefy if your talking about the texas ball player nolan...he already knows theres a problem. Ive studied there program a little bit..I give him and his neighbors credit for recognizing that there cattle have carcass problems and doing something about it. They guarantee iot to be tendr but only with aging and elctrical stimulation
They require ALL carcasses to be aged 2 weeks...ALL carcasses to be electrocuted...and only A maturity calves

Not hardly the same thing as selecting for tender gentics but at least they realize they have a problem and are workikng on it to be sure they have a satisfied customer..all in all I think its a good program....I give them a big hand for that. I read about it here
nolanryanbeef.com/process.php

1 thing I thinks kind of bacckwards tho...I alwasy thought those texans were on the ball with some stuff but Im not so sure now..they used to put there murderers and killers down in the chair...now they give there killers a shot and put there cattle in the chair

MikeC said:

Thats intersting Mikec about "almost everyone" doing it. I didnt know that..are you trying to say that most of the cattle that tysons...excel..national..etc kill are being electically stimulated?? Thats what it sounds like your saying...I didnt know that...do you have somewhere I can read about that please?? Thank you

tapeworm":2jacs1yf said:
MikeC":2jacs1yf said:

Thats intersting Mikec about "almost everyone" doing it. I didnt know that..are you trying to say that most of the cattle that tysons...excel..national..etc kill are being electically stimulated?? Thats what it sounds like your saying...I didnt know that...do you have somewhere I can read about that please?? Thank you

These are very inexpensive units. I would say that ALL of the major packers are using them now. Plus, there are many small abbatoirs using it.

Chickens have been stimulated for years.

http://www.technex.pl/supplier/Jarvis/e ... lation.htm

tapeworm":22ym2j4b said:
They guarantee iot to be tendr but only with aging and elctrical stimulation
They require ALL carcasses to be aged 2 weeks...ALL carcasses to be electrocuted...and only A maturity calves
Not hardly the same thing as selecting for tender gentics but at least they realize they have a problem and are workikng on it to be sure they have a satisfied customer..all in all I think its a good program....I give them a big hand for that. I read about it here

The more you post, the more uninformed you reveal yourself to be. ALL beef carcasses are aged at least 2 weeks, most of them 21 days or more, with the exception of cutter and canner cull cows, and some of them may be depending on their condition prior to slaughter. It has been this way for decades. Enzymes are produced which begin to break down the muscle fibers, making the meat more tender and adding flavor. But you knew that, right? Yeah. If you don't even know that beef is aged before processing, why am I wasting my time on you? You, my friend, are what they call a lost cause.

Kent, The major packers don't hang carcasses anymore (a day or two at most). The meat is "wet aged" in the cryo-vac containers now. Dry aging causes too much shrink for the big boys to tolerate.

Most beef is shipped the same day/next day.

Nolan Ryan is going the extra mile for his customers.

Kent":22npj47n said:
tapeworm":22npj47n said:
They guarantee iot to be tendr but only with aging and elctrical stimulation

The more you post, the more uninformed you reveal yourself to be. ALL beef carcasses are aged at least 2 weeks, most of them 21 days or more, with the exception of cutter and canner cull cows, and some of them may be depending on their condition prior to slaughter. It has been this way for decades. Enzymes are produced which begin to break down the muscle fibers, making the meat more tender and adding flavor. But you knew that, right? Yeah. If you don't even know that beef is aged before processing, why am I wasting my time on you? You, my friend, are what they call a lost cause.
Nothjing but attacks ferom you kent?? I thought you wanted it to remain civil?? Like this:

"The more you post, the more uninformed you reveal yourself to be."

"You, my friend, are what they call a lost cause."

Sorry Kent but Im afraid you dont know what your talking about...check with tysons and excel and see if they sit on there carcasses for 2 or 3 weeks before processing. Ya right.LOL

Whose the 1 thats got a lot to learn??

MikeC":2mcd2oxn said:
Kent, The major packers don't hang carcasses anymore (a day or two at most). The meat is "wet aged" in the cryo-vac containers now. Dry aging causes too much shrink for the big boys to tolerate.

Most beef is shipped the same day/next day.

Nolan Ryan is going the extra mile for his customers.
Thank you MIke..you say things a lot better than I can

I agree about Nolan ryan...theres a rancher that cares about the future....a quality man turning out a quality product

When the hide comes off - and the roasts/steaks are cut and placed in the meat counter you won't know if it was a brahma or a longhorn. More than likely hamberger will be a combination of both plus some tender shorthorn meat.

MikeC":s1jha5li said:
tapeworm":s1jha5li said:
MikeC":s1jha5li said:

These are very inexpensive units. I would say that ALL of the major packers are using them now. Plus, there are many small abbatoirs using it.

Chickens have been stimulated for years.

http://www.technex.pl/supplier/Jarvis/e ... lation.htm
Thank you Mikec..didnt know that...Ill read up on that when I have some more time...thank you

Seems to me that if a processor, retailer, what have you thought toughness or taste was going to be a problem they could adjust a dry aging process accordingly. I know that most retail meet is wet aged instead so I dont think anybody is real concerened. I honestly dont think the average person buying meat at the grocery store could really tell you the difference by taste from one breed to the next. Exceptional marketing has done this for them.

And we still have tough steaks. I took my Mother to Western Sizzlin sunday after Church. We both ordered 8 ounce sirloins ($7.99) medium rare. Mine was excellent; but hers was hard to cut even with a knife. I swapped mine for hers; but I was using lots of Heinz 57 just to make it edible and I think I am still flossing pieces of it out of my badly worn teeth. It wasn't overcooked and I have no explanation why the two steaks were so very different. They obviously had not come off the same animal.

Well I can admit when I learn something new, tape. I honestly did not know dry aging had been replaced by another process by the big boys. But it has been replaced by a process that does the same thing in a shorter period of time, which makes little difference in our discussion. You didn't know it either. Mike had to tell us both. You said beef shouldn't need electrical stimulation or aging to be tender. That is patently untrue. Nolan's aging requirement makes even more sense now. He obviously feels the dry aging process produces a better product with his carcasses. But that's not OK with you, is it? He should get rid of the Beefmasters because they're half Brahman, even if he can get them to grade and be tender, right?

Hey Mike is there any carcass weight difference in the eared cattle compared to char angus cross? Probably a dumb question but I didn't know if they finish lighter or not.

have a good one

lazy ace

lazy ace":3r20vkjp said:
Hey Mike is there any carcass weight difference in the eared cattle compared to char angus cross? Probably a dumb question but I didn't know if they finish lighter or not.

have a good one

lazy ace

Prolly bout the same.

Did you know that as of about a month ago there are no discounts for carcasses under 1000 lbs?

999 lb carcass is now the target.

MikeC":beu2ep1y said:
You are right Mike, many big meat packers/exporters have been using electrical stimulation instead of 'hanging' to mature the beef,since the mid 1970's.
Many if not most, stimulated during bleeding to eccelerate rigour mortis,the carcasses are dressed,hung in the chiller overnight,then cut into joints, packed and frozen for export.
The tenderness of the mechanically stimulated meat does not compare to the better result attained by 'Hanging" to mature the carcase.

MikeC":1kh0vmtk said:
lazy ace":1kh0vmtk said:

have a good one

lazy ace

Prolly bout the same.

Did you know that as of about a month ago there are no discounts for carcasses under 1000 lbs?

999 lb carcass is now the target.
Good golly I hope they dont discount ALL carcasses under 1000...that would be almost all of em....or do you mean carcasses under 1000 but over 950??

Guess the dern packers would probaly like to be able to discount em all tho...any excuse to keep more money in there pocket. LOL No offense intended MikeC if you work for 1 of the packers..I still learn a lot form your postings

teletigger":t9ooif7u said:
Is there a full moon due?
regards
Are you talking to me?? Sorry friend..I guess i dont understand...I never said anything to you but did I post somthing that bothered you??

Latest posts