Is Brahman influenced beef bad?

Help Support CattleToday:

Is that "NO, Brahman influenced beef is not bad", or "NO, this thread will not remain civil"? :lol:

Why would ANY beef - properly raised, slaughtered and processed be bad?

It may have a taste and consistency that is different than what some folks may or may not want in North America. I cannot state for certain I have eaten it - I may have over the years - but you can be darned sure that I would not be afraid to have a go at it.

However, I would bet there are more folks in the world eating Brahman beef - or influenced beef than any other breed out there.

How can that many folks be wrong?

Anyone want me to pass the grenades out?

Bez?

Bez?":3p31a4bc said:
Why would ANY beef - properly raised, slaughtered and processed be bad?

It may have a taste and consistency that is different than what some folks may or may not want in North America. I cannot state for certain I have eaten it - I may have over the years -
  • but you can be darned sure that I would not be afraid to have a go at it.
However, I would bet there are more folks in the world eating Brahman beef - or influenced beef than any other breed out there.

How can that many folks be wrong?

Anyone want me to pass the grenades out?

Bez?
you are right bez properly raised and selection

dun":35wgftc7 said:
KenB":35wgftc7 said:
That article is interesting.

I'ld like to see an updated article, that one is 8 years old.

dun

Well I know that, but I don't think things have changed much in the lifespan of one bull. If anything, the breeds have probably improved over the past 8 years, most notably the Gerts.

I believe calves are made in the way they are raised. If given a chance to be good, more calves will be good, regardless of breed. Too many cowmen today think they can make one big decision, choosing a breed or two, and from then on their calves will not just be good, but better than all the other breeds, no matter how they are raised. I believe management and individual selection are much more important than the breeds chosen, including Brahman.

Kent":3d6lhj8t said:
dun":3d6lhj8t said:
KenB":3d6lhj8t said:

dun

Well I know that, but I don't think things have changed much in the lifespan of one bull. If anything, the breeds have probably improved over the past 8 years, most notably the Gerts.

I believe calves are made in the way they are raised. If given a chance to be good, more calves will be good, regardless of breed. Too many cowmen today think they can make one big decision, choosing a breed or two, and from then on their calves will not just be good, but better than all the other breeds, no matter how they are raised. I believe management and individual selection are much more important than the breeds chosen, including Brahman.

To me it's the old deal of "one swallow doesn;t make a summer". I'ld like to see moree recent and from more then one guy. It's just a curiosity/education thing for me since we don;t need or have any Brahman influence in our herd. But I do love those Gyrs

dun

This has been recurring topic over the past week or two. I have seen alot of posts from folks that ain't got any bramer in their herd. What I would like to hear is from someone who has bramer in their herd, has eaten the meat and what their opinion of the finished product is. But I agree with the other posts - proper feed, care, slaughter and butchering should make it taste pretty good to the consumer.

dun":36i03f6y said:
Kent":36i03f6y said:
dun":36i03f6y said:
KenB":36i03f6y said:

dun

To me it's the old deal of "one swallow doesn;t make a summer". I'ld like to see moree recent and from more then one guy. It's just a curiosity/education thing for me since we don;t need or have any Brahman influence in our herd. But I do love those Gyrs

dun
gyr, indu brazil. and a few others are the biggest reason for that no butt chicken bone kind of cattle thats given brahman a bad rap. american reds and grey's are the ones better suited for cross breeding. they make your thick big butted easy fleshing cattle

ALACOWMAN":1nzvz8va said:
dun":1nzvz8va said:
Kent":1nzvz8va said:
dun":1nzvz8va said:
KenB":1nzvz8va said:

dun

dun
gyr, indu brazil. and a few others are the biggest reason for that no butt chicken bone kind of cattle thats given brahman a bad rap. american reds and grey's are the ones better suited for cross breeding. they make your thick big butted easy fleshing cattle

I wish I could show you a pic of the gyr bull my dad had when I was a little kid. He was beefy and had a huge set of horns and I could sit on his back. A man's son sold him to my dad while the man was out of town for about a $1000. HIs Dad came back in town and begged us to resell him his $25,000.00 bull that was imported for $100,000. We only had 1 calf out of him (slow breeder). Longhorn cow had him and we sold him to a rodeo stock broker. We halter broke the calf with a donkey. :cboy:

Got a story to share about this topic of brahman influenced beef :
About a year ago we had a 20 year old brangus cow that wouldn't breed anymore so we fed her for 30 days to slaughter her. well we did and that was the best meat you'd ever tasted. people swore up and down that someone switched our cow with a 1200 pound steer. but that meat was great!!

Watson Brangus

I think this is all propaganda put out by the Southern Floppear Associatiopn. Not really...just picking on Alcowman LOl

Nice try Kent but cant you do better than 1 article thats from the middle 90s?? I bet you can...maybe old tapeworm needs to do some searching for you to help you out?? Surely the brahma folks have done even better since the middle 90s...right?? They ARE still working on this problem right?? Or did they quit ion the 90s??

Since you didnt point some things out I will. I may be old and slow and ahve to read things 2 or 3 times but that doesnt mean Im dumb. Lol Did you see what they had to do to the brahma carcasses before they compared them to Angus?? Well let me reprint it for you here:
"After the carcasses were electrically stimulated"

Did you catch that part Kent?? Here it is again:

"After the carcasses were electrically stimulated"

Thats fine..whatever they ahve to do to make it fit to eat. Lol What else did they do in this SCIENTIFIC study Kent?? Well lets see they picked out 31 angus and then picked 31 of the brahmas

FROM 208

"To compare with straight Angus, Sanders and Lunt evaluated 31 Angus and 31 of the 208 F-1 steers in 1997."

31 FROM 208 Kent

LOL...thats a joke. Why dont you let me sort 31 Angus steers out of 208 angus steers and then lets have another test?? LOL

Intersting reading tho...I never doubted there performance. Thank you for the good reading Kent

Latest posts