Interesting longhorn read

Help Support CattleToday:

50/50Farms

Reaction score
I see a lot of longhorns these days, more than I ever did as a kid. I saw some LH X Hereford recently, well built animals but still marked up as much like a longhorn as a hereford. I was researching the LH chrome gene because I remember when I was a kid obsessed with photos and paintings from the period that the horns were always smaller and the colors weren't as wonky, I got to wondering if the wonky colors had been selected for the same way bigger horns have been selected for...

Well, I was right: https://www.texaslonghorn.com/longh...egies/index.cfm?con=breeding_for_value_colors

When I was a kid longhorns were very rare, my dad was buying some beef cattle from a guy and he had two longhorn heifers, I wanted him to buy those heifers so bad, that it upset me that he didn't, the guy said he was going to put them in the county fair so more people could see them.
Now they are plentiful.

When I was a kid longhorns were very rare, my dad was buying some beef cattle from a guy and he had two longhorn heifers, I wanted him to buy those heifers so bad, that it upset me that he didn't, the guy said he was going to put them in the county fair so more people could see them.
Now they are plentiful.
Yeah, and you're a good piece older than me. I bet they were like hens teeth when you were a kid since I only knew a few folks with them when I was one.

I understand that longhorns tend to live longer and produce more calves with less trouble calving than other breeds. Not terribly unusual to have a twenty year old cow still producing. Makes for less expense replacing cows. But damn, the hit you take on weaning weights and at the sale barn just can't make them pencil out.

Maybe some smart guy will figure out a way to splice some longevity genes into European animals and we could sell more heifers to feedlots.

I understand that longhorns tend to live longer and produce more calves with less trouble calving than other breeds. Not terribly unusual to have a twenty year old cow still producing. Makes for less expense replacing cows. But damn, the hit you take on weaning weights and at the sale barn just can't make them pencil out.

Maybe some smart guy will figure out a way to splice some longevity genes into European animals and we could sell more heifers to feedlots.
Yes they do last for a lot of years, Brahman cows do also.
My uncle use to say "they never wear out".

I don't raise longhorns but I've been looking into something to stick on a place here that I can leave alone for most of the month, and I've been leaning towards something with some Spanish blood. It's got about 70 acres in fence right now (still need to fence the N end to expand upon that) but I'm only at that place sporadically unless it's a hunting season and need something that can hustle and survive and calve without my assistance pretty much every time, and I'm in the process of rehabing part of the land (I was living elsewhere and the people who said they'd continue the work on it basically just screwed off after a rough deer season or two). Considering though that I have an additional center fenced chamber that we typically do up in crops for wildlife and that my uncle keeps trade horses in sometimes, and that I can get a lot of winter sustainment feed cheap or free in my current situation, I've been thinking that if I keep those inputs low and use a good bull I can buy my way to what I want to breed down there a lot faster.

I don't raise longhorns but I've been looking into something to stick on a place here that I can leave alone for most of the month, and I've been leaning towards something with some Spanish blood. It's got about 70 acres in fence right now (still need to fence the N end to expand upon that) but I'm only at that place sporadically unless it's a hunting season and need something that can hustle and survive and calve without my assistance pretty much every time, and I'm in the process of rehabing part of the land (I was living elsewhere and the people who said they'd continue the work on it basically just screwed off after a rough deer season or two). Considering though that I have an additional center fenced chamber that we typically do up in crops for wildlife and that my uncle keeps trade horses in sometimes, and that I can get a lot of winter sustainment feed cheap or free in my current situation, I've been thinking that if I keep those inputs low and use a good bull I can buy my way to what I want to breed down there a lot faster.
I have bought and sold longhorn cows, some with real long horns, I have loading chutes wide enough to load them them, but they will not be able to get through our working chutes.
I would buy solid colored Corrientes, they take care of their self, and I never had any problems with them while calving, even heifers.
I sold a really nice set of solid red and black cows, even though we made money I wish I would have kept them and calved them out.

I have bought and sold longhorn cows, some with real long horns, I have loading chutes wide enough to load them them, but they will not be able to get through our working chutes.
I would buy solid colored Corrientes, they take care of their self, and I never had any problems with them while calving, even heifers.
I sold a really nice set of solid red and black cows, even though we made money I wish I would have kept them and calved them out.
Honestly I've been leaning a lot towards that for the Spanish blood. Especially been thinking about slipping something with some ear in bull wise to try and retain a heifer or two along the way.

Honestly I've been leaning a lot towards that for the Spanish blood. Especially been thinking about slipping something with some ear in bull wise to try and retain a heifer or two along the way.
You can get them through a chute a lot easier than longhorns.
My cousin had about 200 Corrientes with Brahman bulls on them.
If he still has them or not I don't know, I need to check with him to see how that turned out.

You can get them through a chute a lot easier than longhorns.
My cousin had about 200 Corrientes with Brahman bulls on them.
If he still has them or not I don't know, I need to check with him to see how that turned out.
Why a full brahma on them? I have noticed that with corrs they typically color calves from grey brahma bulls however they're colored.

Why a full brahma on them? I have noticed that with corrs they typically color calves from grey brahma bulls however they're colored.
I don't know.
I liked the angus bulls I had on them, no horns, and a lot of them were solid colored calves.
I wouldn't put a Hereford bull on them either.

That math does in fact check out.
Well, you'd end up with $300 or less in your cows, and they gonna wean a black, polled 500 lb calf in 6 mos. Your inputs will be salt and minerals. The last crop we sold was in 2021, in August, and we averaged $750 per steer, a little loess for the heifers. If we were selling today we'd get over $1k per calf. Just buy the best registered Brangus bull you can afford, and I don't think you could lose money with this operation even if you tried to. Anyone I have known that is trying to do what we do, that didn't have the same success we are having, is because they didn't use homozygous black, polled bulls, and/or they fed them, fertilized pastures, wormed, vaccinated, etc. In other words, had the same inputs they would have with beef cows. Another factor that I often forget to take into account, is the Kudzu. I don't know what the results would be, if this rough, cut-over timber pasture did NOT have Kudzu. Feed, hay, protein tubs, etc., would raise the inputs.

In the past, we had our herd calving in September and sold all the calves end of August. With this herd of Mexican Corrs I have been building, and then being anywhere from open to caving when they got off the trailer, we are now just going to leave the bulls in year round. The calves will bring more selling them a few at a time down here anyway.

Toro, our Corr bull, has gone to the man who bought my Plummers, that raises bucking bulls for junior and high school rodeo. We have that 1/2 MFB bull calf and the two heifer calves (that Zeke will raise for us) , and we will have 14 more from those cows I am buying today. These we will keep separate, and use them to eventually change the herd from Corrr cows to 1/2 Corr- 1/2 MFB cows. Where we will keep them is an old 15 acre hayfield that was bermuda, Johnson , and crab grass. No Kudzu, so it will be interesting to see how they do.

Well, you'd end up with $300 or less in your cows, and they gonna wean a black, polled 500 lb calf in 6 mos. Your inputs will be salt and minerals. The last crop we sold was in 2021, in August, and we averaged $750 per steer, a little loess for the heifers. If we were selling today we'd get over $1k per calf. Just buy the best registered Brangus bull you can afford, and I don't think you could lose money with this operation even if you tried to. Anyone I have known that is trying to do what we do, that didn't have the same success we are having, is because they didn't use homozygous black, polled bulls, and/or they fed them, fertilized pastures, wormed, vaccinated, etc. In other words, had the same inputs they would have with beef cows. Another factor that I often forget to take into account, is the Kudzu. I don't know what the results would be, if this rough, cut-over timber pasture did NOT have Kudzu. Feed, hay, protein tubs, etc., would raise the inputs.

In the past, we had our herd calving in September and sold all the calves end of August. With this herd of Mexican Corrs I have been building, and then being anywhere from open to caving when they got off the trailer, we are now just going to leave the bulls in year round. The calves will bring more selling them a few at a time down here anyway.

Toro, our Corr bull, has gone to the man who bought my Plummers, that raises bucking bulls for junior and high school rodeo. We have that 1/2 MFB bull calf and the two heifer calves (that Zeke will raise for us) , and we will have 14 more from those cows I am buying today. These we will keep separate, and use them to eventually change the herd from Corrr cows to 1/2 Corr- 1/2 MFB cows. Where we will keep them is an old 15 acre hayfield that was bermuda, Johnson , and crab grass. No Kudzu, so it will be interesting to see how they do.
I did the math a few times on the over/under of y'all's operation with additional inputs and it still penciled out in the black provided the inputs are as I calculated them.

I did the math a few times on the over/under of y'all's operation with additional inputs and it still penciled out in the black provided the inputs are as I calculated them.
I think so too. And as with any cow/calf operation, you can control the inputs by the stocking rate. How many acres is your Alabama place?

Latest posts